GAS PRICES THREAD: National Average = $2.59!... gas hits lowest point in a month, no summer prices

Why yall even talking about it or complaining about it going back up!?!
Be thankful it didn't stay at $4.00!!
And enjoy it while it's cheap!

And it's still going down for now.... not up.

by the time I get a car it'll be back up
frown.gif

TBONE.... did you only make this thread cause you wanted another one where you could edit the title daily?
laugh.gif

Paid a $1.64 last night in Lexington, KY. Would have been cheaper but forgto my speedy rewards card.

HOUSTON (AP) - The national average price for gasoline tumbled below $2 a gallon Friday, its lowest point in more than three years, yet the global economiccontrast between then and now could not be more stark.

On March 9, 2005, the last time gasoline cost less than $2, the Dow Jones industrial average closed at 10,805.63. The Dow on Thursday slumped 445 points to7,552.29, its lowest finish since March 2003.

"At this point, all we can say with any degree of confidence is that crude oil ... will not trade below zero," wrote trader and analyst StephenSchork in a tongue-in-cheek analysis of the market's swoon.

Crude has been in free-fall, shedding two-thirds of its value since July, and gasoline prices have followed.

The pump price for regular unleaded fell 3.1 cents overnight to $1.989 a gallon, according to auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and WrightExpress.

The national average price fell nearly a dime in the past week and is down almost 90 cents in the past month.

"With the price of oil seemingly in a free-fall this month, it's impossible to know exactly how low the price of gasoline will eventually go,"AAA spokesman Geoff Sundstrom said Friday. "Households can, however, reasonably anticipate that lower fuel prices will be the norm throughout the rest ofthis year and probably into early 2009."

Light, sweet crude for January delivery rose 50 cents to $49.91 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Earlier, in electronic trading, the pricedipped to $48.25, the lowest level since May 18, 2005.

In London, January Brent crude rose 34 cents to $48.42 on the ICE Futures exchange.

Friday's activity reflected how tightly oil prices are tied to trading in equities and left open the likelihood of further volatility in the crudesector.

Asian stock markets initially followed their U.S. counterparts down Friday, but then rallied. Japan's benchmark Nikkei index rose 2.7 percent, HongKong's Hang Seng index gained 2.3 percent and South Korea's key index was up 5.8 percent.

London's FTSE 100 and France's CAC-40 fell more than 3 percent while Germany's DAX index fell more than 2 percent.

In the United States, the Dow Jones industrial average rose 151 points, or 2 percent, in early trading, while the Nasdaq 100 index futures was up 14.21, or1.34 percent, to 1,050.42.

Traders are still worried that a global recession will undermine energy demand.

The Dow plunged Thursday after the Labor Department said new applications for jobless benefits exceeded analyst estimates and rose to the highest level ofclaims since July 1992 and investors grew even more leery about the health of the nation's biggest banks.

The S&P 500 index fell 6.7 percent Thursday to an 11-year low. The S&P 500 has dropped more than 52 percent below its October 2007 record, makingthis the second-biggest bear market on record, exceeded only by the 83 percent drop between 1930 and 1932.

"(Fifty dollars) was a psychological support level," said Gerard Rigby, an energy analyst at Fuel First Consulting in Sydney. "Since wehaven't traded this low for so long, it's hard to find a new support level."

The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which accounts for about 40 percent of global supply, may cut production before its next official meetingon Dec. 17, Rigby said.

OPEC lowered production quotas by 1.5 million barrels a day last month.

"Their revenues are dropping so much, I think OPEC will have to call an extraordinary meeting and cut quotas to try to support the market," Rigbysaid. "Their last cut had zero impact on the market."

In other Nymex trading, gasoline futures rose 3.3 cents to $1.04 a gallon. Heating oil gained 2.7 cents to $1.7036 a gallon while natural gas for Decemberdelivery advanced 21.6 cents to $6.532 per 1,000 cubic feet.

Associated Press writers George Jahn in Vienna, Austria, Alex Kennedy in Singapore and Pablo Gorondi in Budapest, Hungary contributed to thisreport.

$1.47 here in St. Lou.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I am not even lying y'all, no ducks
laugh.gif
, I need to getsome pics of this soon, because I know it might never happen again.

Back
Top Bottom