Gave a kidney away vol. I did not get an Ipad2

I gave my brother in law a kidney one month ago today. He is doing amazingly well and the improvement to his health was immediate. I thought about posting this a bunch of times but always decided against it. The only reason I am now is because I can look back and say that hopefully my post will make someone else consider donating. The hardest thing so far has been getting my energy back. I went in in pretty good shape and feeling good so it will take some time to get back to normal. The surgery is a big one but not that bad and the couple days of what I would consider moderate pain were completely worth it to give my brother in law another life. They had me up and walking the same day as the surgery.

So if you ever have the opportunity, give it some thought. If you're really giving, think of donating to a stranger. Knowing you helped save someones life is worth it.

Just about to head into surgery
View media item 320115
Waking up, looking faded
View media item 320125
Had a little bit of this the second day
View media item 320127
Walking, slowly, out on the fourth day
View media item 320129

Warning....picture of kidney below!

View media item 320338

Last edited:
This post reminds me of when my newphew was little, and he got Rayman Orgins, he couldn't pronounce it right and he would say "robbin organs" :lol:

PS:
Great story about you and your bro.

Big ups OP. That is a very selfless and honorable thing to do. Its also great that your brother in law was a match. What hospital did the transplant?

I wish you well in your recovery and I hope your brother in law also does well and that is a successful transplant.

Its really good of you and i fully support the message you are sharing. People can help save lives in so many ways: donating blood, bone marrow , or a kidney like you have. It takes a few minutes of your life to donate blood and to register with a bone marrow organisation. Please dont hesitate to help because you never know one day you might need that help too.

OP...awesome thing you did. No gift like that :pimp:

I have a family member that needs a kidney and hoping to match with a potential donor at some point. It's a tough process...your brother in law is lucky to have you.

Last edited:
thats really something. How do you feel?

post the kidney come on do it do it do it

Well done, Man! Very commendable. I almost donated last year. It was a tragic story. Both a husband and a wife need kidneys. I decided against donating because I had a child on the way and the risky nature of my girlfriend's pregnancy would have made it hard. I'm glad I didn't too, my son came 9 weeks early.

Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate it. Just hope this post works! Like London1 said its real easy to give. In most cases there's little to no risk!

UTVOL23 The surgery was in Milwaukee at Aurora St. Lukes, where he lives.

DeadsetAce I'll pray that your family member gets a donor. It is a tough process. But, when they get it, it will be great. They will feel much better so quickly.

Club Other than being tired I feel great. Full recovery is up to 8 weeks but usually 4-6. I'm looking forward to running again! There has been very little pain throughout the process. I have some discomfort around the incisions but not that bad. It is a little psychological in that you are always afraid that you'll twist and it will hurt but that hasn't happened often. After being home for 2 days, so six days in, I started to only sporadically take a pill, normally if I had to walk a lot or ride somewhere in a car.

Im not giving it away, but I'd sell it for $20k-$30k No problem.lol

Props to you man. You did a good thing.

Kidneys fight infection, don't know the complications that can arise from not having 1. Care to share op?

Back
Top Bottom