Gellert Park League

Anyone here play ball at Gellert Park? A friend of mine was telling me about a filipino league he played on Sunday mornings. I decided to check it outyesterday. I haven't been to Gellert in a long time. I live in the Sunset District of SF and would hoop at Sunset Gym.When I got there cats was shootingaround. I looked at their jerseys and it said "GELLERT PARK." One team had Baby Blue/Yellow and the other had Royal Blue/White. The teams were allnamed after a NBA team. Nuggets vs. Pistons. I looked at half court and there was a portable scoreboard. I chuckled and said to myself "damn this isofficial"
laugh.gif
. I was talking to some cats and they said the leaguehas 10 teams and they pick teams by drafting players. One of the first things I noticed was some old school cats shooting around. Dudes were like my dads age.Dudes were like 45-50 years old (I swear to God) I found out some of them have been playing at Gellert for over 30 years. Dudes was ballin' (word to JimJones). I thought they were waiting until after the game for a 40 year old and up league. I was wrong these cats was ready to play with the young cats. I waslike #%+
eek.gif
. The age range was from 18-50 years old. There was Americanborn kids to cats that looked like they just hopped a boat from the PI. I have never seen such unorganized basketball in my life. Some highlights I saw...

- Cats cherry picking and their teammates throwing it to them and it ends up out of bounce.

- Ref rocking sweatpants and a 5 panel hat.

- Dudes playing so out of control.

- Cats ballhogging chucking up hella 3's and bricking all the time.

- Swearing at the ref and saying "CALL SOME EFFIN FOULS THATS SOME BS ninja" (Homie got a tech)

- I never seen so many pissed off filipinos. Cats were playing so hard as if it was game 7 of an NBA playoff game. +%$ was mad intense. Dudes was bringing it.Illocanos noses was flaring.

- Dudes taking offensive charges and taking knees to the stomach
eek.gif
Playingon cement. +%$ was NUTS.

- Some young dude like 20 years old on roids. He was the best player. Homie thought he was Iverson rocking an arm sleeve. I know damn well nothing was wrongwith his arm.

- Cats trying to do some Dr. J scoop shots from under the backboard knowing damn well it's not going to go in
roll.gif

- Cat fouling out the game and talking +%$ to the ref spitting on the court because he fouled out the game with 15 min to go.

- OG cat getting cut below the eyebrow with blood all over his jersey
eek.gif
.One of his teammates said "Oh you got a cut just like Manny Pacquiao... Pacquiao vs Marquez. Your a tough PINOY!!!" I started bursting out withlaughter.

pogiwun wrote:

- I never seen so many pissed off filipinos. Cats were playing so hard as if it was game 7 of an NBA playoff game. +%$ was mad intense. Dudes was bringing it. Illocanos noses was flaring.

eek.gif
. One of his teammates said "Oh you got a cut just like Manny Pacquiao... Pacquiao vs Marquez. Your a tough PINOY!!!" I started bursting out with laughter.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

realtalk tho. play some D on those old OG players cause they will drain some ridiculous shots.

Originally Posted by pogiwun

- Cats cherry picking and their teammates throwing it to them and it ends up out of bounce.

- Swearing at the ref and saying "CALL SOME EFFIN FOULS THATS SOME BS ninja" (Homie got a tech)

- I never seen so many pissed off filipinos. Cats were playing so hard as if it was game 7 of an NBA playoff game. +%$ was mad intense. Dudes was bringing it. Illocanos noses was flaring.

eek.gif
Playing on cement. +%$ was NUTS.

- Some young dude like 20 years old on roids. He was the best player. Homie thought he was Iverson rocking an arm sleeve. I know damn well nothing was wrong with his arm.

- Cats trying to do some Dr. J scoop shots from under the backboard knowing damn well it's not going to go in
roll.gif

- Cat fouling out the game and talking +%$ to the ref spitting on the court because he fouled out the game with 15 min to go.

eek.gif
. One of his teammates said "Oh you got a cut just like Manny Pacquiao... Pacquiao vs Marquez. Your a tough PINOY!!!" I started bursting out with laughter.

Sounds like Filipinos alright. Yes I'm Filipino.

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

Originally Posted by pogiwun

eek.gif
Playing on cement. +%$ was NUTS.

- Some young dude like 20 years old on roids. He was the best player. Homie thought he was Iverson rocking an arm sleeve. I know damn well nothing was wrong with his arm.

roll.gif

eek.gif

Sounds like Filipinos alright. Yes I'm Filipino.

word, especially this part
laugh.gif

The teams were all named after a NBA team. Nuggets vs. Pistons. I looked at half court and there was a portable scoreboard. I chuckled and said to myself "damn this is official"

yo i lived right up the street at 618 gellert and i used to go down when my dad played soccer in the old folks league and man the filipinos playing ball werehEEEElarious.

How you gunna play 5 on 5 full court wearing chancletas? like the 2 dollar ones you get in china town. The cherry picker there was smoking a damn cigarettewaiting for the ball.

^ I'm down to join but damn this league is dangerous. I'm not trying to slap board on some cats and have some short illocano try to undercut me... fallon the cement and hurt myself. My boy was telling me some cats were fighting last week haha. Straight chunkin' dudes got suspended for 2 games.

laugh.gif
@ the whole post.. its funny cause its true..

^ i think that undercutting someone is the official filipino defense against post players

Does anyone remember the movie The Debut? Watching the Gellert Park League hella reminded me of that one scene when Augusto was trying to act all hard on thecourt. Homie thought he was killin'. Augustos ex girl and her friend were like "he thinks he's black."

^ i think that undercutting someone is the official filipino defense against post players
what does "undercutting" mean? i havent played a game of basketball since i got my L's.

Originally Posted by jcsellsf

what does "undercutting" mean? i havent played a game of basketball since i got my L's.

from my understanding its when the defender goes to a spot where the other player is gonna land forcing him to land awkwardly

Undercutting is when someone goes up and you just %$#%! out and hit his legs instead of going up with him, causing him to flip and potentially getreally hurt.

Hmm... I might go check this out after church on Sundays... just to check it out
laugh.gif

And
laugh.gif
@ dudes being suspended for 2 games for fighting.

my pops is a og hes 50 + ,lurking at gellert every now and then, hopefully ill play the league this summer.

Originally Posted by justinvincent

Undercutting is when someone goes up and you just %$#%! out and hit his legs instead of going up with him, causing him to flip and potentially get really hurt.
pretty much. undercutting someone is pretty dangerous .. especially on outdoor courts .. but hey it happens..

the worst part of playing in filipino leagues is the crowd. i just cant stand it when the wives/girlfriends talk smack cause they have no idea what theyretalking about.
laugh.gif

If anyone wants to check it out the games are 8am-12 noon Sundays. Summer league starts in July and it costs $45.

So I passed by there yesterday after church. All I have to say is, I was entertained for the 15 minutes I watched. One team was down and when the other teamgot the ball, they would foul to send them to the line to extend the game. This thing is for real!!!
roll.gif
roll.gif

^ Time did you go? I was watching the 10am game and the 2 weakest teams were playing. I swear to God all of them were like 5'6. If I join this league immapost them up like Dwight Howard haha.

Back
Top Bottom