Gentrified Hiphop a unwritten genre?

The article is illustrating how a certain sound that Eminem made (rap/rock anthems for white people)....influenced the white rappers (who wreee Young then) that we see today....and they make music largely from that template...for that audience solely.

That’s why they exist outside the black/Latino consciousness of hip hop.

I even highlighted the **** for y’all :smh: :lol:

Not sure why you included me, when I was responding to one person and not the article.

You need to spend more time reading and comprehending.

You keep trying to one up dudes in an effort to be right, instead of listening to what people are saying. Because you damn sure don't know as much as you think you do.

I didn’t miss the point, I don’t think that sound is why white rappers are popular today. More and more people are giving wypipo a pass in more than just rap. Wypipo wearing Jays and Foams now, rarely ever saw a white guy wearing them off the court years ago. They’re slowly trying to take over things and the labels love it, they’re pushing it. I think if I had to blame someone it would probably be Drake and Macklemore. Seems like it became acceptable around 2011-2012.

There hasn't been a single thing on this planet created by black people that white people haven't actively tried to Redo & claim as their own. The charts represent what's being consumed by mainstream America, if you don't see the kind of harm can be caused to the genre by white people basically being the posterchildren for "hiphop" i'm not sure what to say.
quoted because ppl need to read this again.

I didn’t miss the point, I don’t think that sound is why white rappers are popular today. More and more people are giving wypipo a pass in more than just rap. Wypipo wearing Jays and Foams now, rarely ever saw a white guy wearing them off the court years ago. They’re slowly trying to take over things and the labels love it, they’re pushing it. I think if I had to blame someone it would probably be Drake and Macklemore. Seems like it became acceptable around 2011-2012.

Yup. That article is incorrect. That Em song came out way back in 2002. lol

This new sub genre of white hop started over the last 4-5 years.

Not sure why you included me, when I was responding to one person and not the article.

You keep trying to one up dudes in an effort to be right, instead of listening to what people are saying. Because you damn sure don't know as much as you think you do.

That ain't true. Maybe people you know but I know a lot _'s that was 18+ listening to Em's first 3 albums.

Last edited:

Again. That wasn’t the point. My point was moreso to the content, sound and demographic targeted by the music these rappers make. In response to what Ninja said below:

feels like da labels know they can't really market da artists to da traditional hiphop demographic, so they make em for consumption for their suburban waspy demo.

Mclemore, G-Eazy, Logic, MGK are making records inspired by Ems pop/rock sound....and it is completely bypassing the traditional hip hop demographic....while still selling better than the black artist...and still under the pretense of being “quality hip hop”.

Yup. That article is incorrect. That Em song came out way back in 2002. lol

This new sub genre of white hop started over the last 4-5 years.

Those songs Em was making...all contributed tofay. A 14 year old G-Eazy or Macklemore was listening and relating. They’ve been making songs influenced by these large stadium rock emenim records that white people LOVE.

Who you think birthed this sound.....and why you think they having the most success :lol:.

Relax :lol:

Those aren't rap songs to me, just some rhyming so for some reason they label it rap. I'm interested in why though. Is that the labels pushing it as "rap to take over rap?

Sing for the Moment was a rap song, with real raps. Mad rappers have sampled old classic rock songs. The Eminem Show was a rap album, not pop or anything. Maybe you're right, I don't see it that way though.

I don't know of any people who were around my age back then that listened to Em

Mind you, I went to an HBCU

Well that's you. I know dudes from DC that got Em in their top 5 ever. Dudes that was going to the stores buying his music. PG county in black as hell, first time I heard Marshall Mathers LP was from people playing outside.

Those songs Em was making...all contributed tofay. A 14 year old G-Eazy or Macklemore was listening and relating. They’ve been making songs influenced by these large stadium rock emenim records that white people LOVE.

Who you think birthed this sound.....and why you think they having the most success :lol:.

Like I was saying in the other thread what's going on now is different from Em. Again that song came out in 2002. That's a big *** between then and 2013 or whenever Macklomore came out. If Em is responsible then we woulda seen white rappers popping up having success in 2005, 07 and on but back then it wasn't a market for them.

Now it is. They are products of this new no rules and no integrity era. _'s cosigning Miley Cirus and co-signing Post Malone. So eventually it allows them to skip over the black audience all together cuz the door is open.

Like I was saying in the other thread what's going on now is different from Em. Again that song came out in 2002. That's a big *** between then and 2013 or whenever Macklomore came out. If Em is responsible then we woulda seen white rappers popping up having success in 2005, 07 and on but back then it wasn't a market for them.

Now it is. They are products of this new no rules and no integrity era. _'s cosigning Miley Cirus and co-signing Post Malone. So eventually it allows them to skip over the black audience all together cuz the door is open.

Its hard to try and compare rap then and now, a lot of **** has changed bro.

Think about the channels that you HAD to go through to disseminate your **** then and think about how the development of the internet and social media has made it to where you can sidestep all those channels and go straight to potential consumers now. Dudes get on social media and talk directly to their fans, you can get all the other **** on the backend. Only way you blocking somebody out is if you block their internet subscription as well :lol:

**** like XXL has been relegated to a label lobbied “Freshman List”, outside of that dudes couldn’t care less about them. _’s would rather see something from Vice/Noisey/Complex/Fader. _’s calling Spotify the new radio, etc.

I think dudes like Post Malone come off kinda arrogant because deep down they know that era of tryna please black people for rap acceptance is lowkey dead in a way. If you got some money you can get features from majority of these artists and that’s good enough tbh.

Once _'s get to this point they know they about to be good regardless :smh: Its funny because it seem like he wanted to do all the traditional stuff, went on the Breakfast Club got grilled by CTG and took a step back like hold on, I ain't even gotta do all this ****. I think that kinda impacted his decision to front on the XXL list as well.

Another thing I don’t think people realize is how big of a demographic explosion has taken place. Hip Hop just knocked off Rock as the most popular genre this year, think about that. Its not like more black people are listening to Hip Hop all of a sudden. How many other people have to now be listening to Hip Hop for it to be at that level? These people coming in with money and their own tastes and opinions on what sounds good too.

Of course a lot has changed. Been saying that. I never compared rap then to now. That's why I keep saying what's happening now is something different.

My point was I don't think its a result of there being "no rules" but more a result of these dudes no longer having to have a cosign and go thru black gatekeepers. You don't need black radio, tv, magazines or really any black acceptance like that when you got internet and social media.

How effective can a bouncer be if you able to sidestep the _ at the door and get straight in the club anyway?

That’s all fine and dandy... but that don’t mean EVERYBODY got to like, or be a fan.

Same way Post Malone, G-Eazy, etc can sidestep certain demographics, that same overlooked demographic, does not care about them.

There’s something for everyone nowadays. In every industry, not just music. Fashion, food, entertainment, etc.

We are in the age of there literally being “something for everyone”.

I can literally stand beside someone, with a different taste or opinion, not speak to them, and that’s completely fine.

People like Nicki Minaj are in flux because they’re guilty of trying to change and be accepted, but it backfired.

My point was I don't think its a result of there being "no rules" but more a result of these dudes no longer having to have a cosign and go thru black gatekeepers. You don't need black radio, tv, magazines or really any black acceptance like that when you got internet and social media.

How effective can a bouncer be if you able to sidestep the _ at the door and get straight in the club anyway?

Yeah, it ain't one thing. Internet has definitely played a role and _'s co-signing these clowns has too.

The people inside the club can also say we don't want this dude in here. Black rappers and fans have some power in this.

It really ain't. Em doesn't have a big black fan base. Much less those being over 35.

How many black people on this board even listen to Em?

I still listen to the first two albums, random mixtape tracks, and a couple tracks from Relapse.

Our samples aren't the same. You can use "I don't know anyone" all you want, clearly other people have seen different. Him not having a big black fan base doesn't really have **** to do with it.

Why nikki make it seem like hip hop supposed to only be blacks on top of the charts. Its rap at the end of the day she act like its a problem for another race to succeed. Dat double standard..........but some of them songs wack....and who is NF.

Never heard of “NF”.....I look up, he has one of then songs in the entire country :lol:

Peeped the song....and sho nuff it’s more of that “white Boy rap”

Why nikki make it seem like hip hop supposed to only be blacks on top of the charts. Its rap at the end of the day she act like its a problem for another race to succeed. Dat double standard..........but some of them songs wack....and who is NF.

Went over your head

Truth be told... Nikki is salty her time is closing and she's not popping as much as she was before... like that.

If her, Wayne, and Drake still had a stronghold on rap like they did a few years ago she wouldn't be so salty and throwing all those subliminal shots at Cardi or whoever she's throwing them at.

Would any of you guys on here say her demise started once Remy dropped ShEther?

Someone said it best with the Internet and social media any ol average joe could get into the rap game. Rap is so bad from all races putting out music and has been for years since the dance craze songs from the south with laffey taffey etc. Blacks, whites, hispanic (Takeshi 69) all of this new rap is all over the place and I've just came to the fact that the rap I came up with where lyrics mattered or you had to back up your tough talk is long gone and they new drug induced fools are what these young kids want to hear.

I still have an iPod classic filled with music I like and I still rock with it and get made fun of by people who think it's crazy to still have and iPod classic when you can get spodify or whatever.

I will not lie though some of these songs when they come on the radio I do listen to from time to time like that all my friends are dead push me to the edge, gucci gang, some other group about their mother told them not to sell work 17 5 same color as their white t-shirt. Takeshi 69 I heard from you guys on here and worldstar and can't lie one or two of hit songs are crazy but I listen. At least you can understand some of them and not like these mumble rappers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom