Gentrified Hiphop a unwritten genre?

White people obviously have the most power, privilege and financial means in America. That's a sensitive point for some minorities. You don't think some people would be jealous of that?

I see where yall are coming from but I just don't feel like it's an argument worth having. If people like something, they WILL imitate it. And in this instance I can't even conceive what a sensible person would say to stop it.

It sounds like yall are trying to use similar arguments as the 'n word' fiasco eg "That's ours and you can't use it". Well using the N word doesn't make anyone money, so no one forces the issue, white people leave it alone for the most part. Hip hop does make money, so other races will emulate it and profit from it.

Last edited:
White people obviously have the most power, privilege and financial means in America. That's a sensitive point for some minorities. You don't think some people would be jealous of that?

I see where yall are coming from but I just don't feel like it's an argument worth having. If people like something, they WILL imitate it. And in this instance I can't even conceive what a sensible person would say to stop it.

It sounds like yall are trying to use similar arguments as the 'n word' fiasco eg "That's ours and you can't use it". Well using the N word doesn't make anyone money, so no one forces the issue, white people leave it alone for the most part. Hip hop does make money, so other races will emulate it and profit from it.

Are they jealous of the actual person (white) or the material stuff/money?

Fam I'm not about to split hairs with this :lol: some minorities are jealous of the fact that white people run the country, have the most privilege and most money. And I guess yall feel like since they have all of that, they should leave 'our stuff' alone. Again, I see where you're coming from, but America isn't that friendly nor respectful when it comes to something that's profitable. I feel like that sums up that statement sufficiently.

Same thing happened back in the day with artists like Little Richard. Yall are really underestimating how cutthroat corporate America is.

Fam I'm not about to split hairs with this :lol: some minorities are jealous of the fact that white people run the country, have the most privilege and most money. And I guess yall feel like since they have all of that, they should leave 'our stuff' alone. Again, I see where you're coming from, but America isn't that friendly when it comes to something that's profitable. I feel like that sums up that statement sufficiently.

You said black peoples are jealous of white people. I simply wanted to know where the supposed jealousy lies. Are we (blacks) jealous of their material possessions and money, or, are we jealous of the white person from a physical standpoint?

Of course I'm not referring to anything dealing with physical attributes. I'm talking about means, oppression and equality. In short, the privileges they get because of their skin, not the skin itself.

:rofl:

nobody particularly has a “problem” with white suburban/geek rappers, in and of itself, its harmless and kids in similar circumstances need someone to represent for them and make them feel okay to not be “street”.

however i think people just dont wanna wake up and see that hip hop no longer serves as a voice/mirror for the have nots, particularly those with brown skin.

the precedent is there.

One of the best statements in this thread, when a subculture becomes mainstream it turns into what it was fighting against in the first place. Supreme just did an official collaboration with a fashion house that sued them many years ago for doing a mock-up of their logo on their products. Hip-Hop/Rap has been completely embraced and enveloped by mainstream America and the world at large, just like streetwear. Its not "Ours" (urban america) anymore.

nobody particularly has a “problem” with white suburban/geek rappers, in and of itself, its harmless and kids in similar circumstances need someone to represent for them and make them feel okay to not be “street”.

however i think people just dont wanna wake up and see that hip hop no longer serves as a voice/mirror for the have nots, particularly those with brown skin.

the precedent is there.

But why are we looking at a white business to lift up and glorify those who represent us the best? Like I said before by sheer numbers if the population of white people allow them to dictate what charts high in any genre because they have more people. They will support what looks like them just like we do and all they need is some folks who look like them to step into the genre they like to listen to but those people who sing it look to dangerous.

I look at this similar to how we look at the Grammys or the Oscars, it's about who they want to lift up. We need a black publication/organization to look to

how is hip hop a white business?

it literally ceases to exist if black people stopped contributing and consuming it

how is hip hop a white business?

it literally ceases to exist if black people stopped contributing and consuming it

Not referring to hip hop as a white business but companies like billboard

I don't think hip hop would cease to exist if we stopped contributing to it. The "soul" may be taken out of it but it wouldn't die

Nobody's ignoring that. It's been acknowledged in this thread and others.

This conversation was occurring way before Nicki said what she said and the conversation in this thread goes alot deeper than her.

Her argument mostly comes off as salt.

Most of those songs are basically teeny bop, urban outfitters songs that recruit a white rapper for a verse. She's been recruited to do the same on a few occasions.

Back
Top Bottom