Girls On Forums vol. Pinterest

To me this site is conditioning girls into being good housewives and having fun with it. Detrimental to the women of this society? Maybe not yet but is there potential for it? Maybe.

Discuss.
Here's my problem with this.

First, you don't seem to know your history. Just because there's a new popular website out there, doesn't mean this is some new phenomenon. Magazines, TV commercials, radio advertisements, displays at the store, etc., there were countless examples of guides and suggestions for a good housewife for decades.

Housekeeping Monthly, 1955

goodwifeguide.gif

If you want to say this is working to condition women, then it's been  working to condition women for a century. 

Maybe you would argue that they're "having fun with it" and the new advances in social media allows for easier access, exposure, and ability to share these new ideas. Except the problem with that argument is while technological advancements have made consuming new products far easier than ever before, there's also more diversity than ever before. Sure, they can go to a site or a forum or use an app... or they can go to the millions of other websites, millions of other apps, and do far more with their free time than ever before. In the 50s, your options were a lot smaller. Radio, TV, magazines, books, movies, newspapers... not only do we have all those things now, we have 500 TV channels compared to the handful back then. We have radio from all over the globe, compared to what you could get with your local stations. And so on. We can talk about how all these things are problems in general, but women on forums and Pintrest is a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Detrimental, how exactly? Are women going to stop going to college and working in careers because of Pintrest? Are women more susceptible to the dangers of mass consumption than a man would be? Considering we're on Niketalk and a majority of us joined because we loved sneakers. How is it any different? Is NT a detriment to the future of men? It's providing an open forum to discuss our passion of footwear, to plan when we'll line up outside a store or flood a website to get that brand new pair of shoes. There are websites and forums dedicated to everything from the newest cell phones, to cars, to movies, music, games, and so on.

If we want to discuss the issues surrounding the new age of social media, human interaction, and mass product consumption, then I think we can do that without dividing the sexes. Both men and women would be exposed to these issues, perhaps in different ways, but all the same in the end.

Last edited:
only a matter of time before the e-simps realize where these birds are grazing now and migrate to pininterest.

id rather have my girl looking at girly stuff online than smashing another dude behind my back

stop it OP, srs

if i had a girl i would rather have her looking at pintrest getting ideas on how to be domesticated than have her watch videos of a dancing bear that smashes girls at parties and her getting ideas for the next girls night out

Last edited:
if i had a girl i would rather have her looking at pintrest getting ideas on how to be domesticated than have her watch videos of a dancing bear that smashes girls at parties and her getting ideas for the next girls night out

:rofl:

my girl stays on pinterest too! also "the gram."

its cool though because it lets me
1) go on NT
2) go on reddit
3) play halo

and she has something to do instead of nagging or something:lol:

:rofl:

my girl stays on pinterest too! also "the gram."

its cool though because it lets me
1) go on NT
2) go on reddit
3) play halo

and she has something to do instead of nagging or something:lol:

im saying, pininterest was probably created by a dude who just wanted to play COD or fap in peace.

ha, OP with 1000+ posts on NT has issue with gf who is on pinterest . . . hypocrite?

Last edited:
gf doesn't have one, but I wouldn't mind if she does. She would rather read celebrity gossip/tmz type stuff. :/ Some fashion blogs too.
I use it to store all my potential future recipes hah. :/

my girl loves that site :lol:
good thing because shes always coming up with good recipes and ways to save money on random things

I had never said I didnt enjoy the perks of her being on pinterest but I would rather her do things in moderation and it seems like she isn't alone on this phenonema.

There's no "stop it! No more cooking delicious, new meals!" On my part

many of you dudes seem a bit suspect supporting pinterest so hard.

Here's my problem with this.

First, you don't seem to know your history. Just because there's a new popular website out there, doesn't mean this is some new phenomenon. Magazines, TV commercials, radio advertisements, displays at the store, etc., there were countless examples of guides and suggestions for a good housewife for decades.

View media item 148872

Housekeeping Monthly, 1955
goodwifeguide.gif

If you want to say this is working to condition women, then it's been working to condition women for a century. 

Maybe you would argue that they're "having fun with it" and the new advances in social media allows for easier access, exposure, and ability to share these new ideas. Except the problem with that argument is while technological advancements have made consuming new products far easier than ever before, there's also more diversity than ever before. Sure, they can go to a site or a forum or use an app... or they can go to the millions of other websites, millions of other apps, and do far more with their free time than ever before. In the 50s, your options were a lot smaller. Radio, TV, magazines, books, movies, newspapers... not only do we have all those things now, we have 500 TV channels compared to the handful back then. We have radio from all over the globe, compared to what you could get with your local stations. And so on. We can talk about how all these things are problems in general, but women on forums and Pintrest is a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

Detrimental, how exactly? Are women going to stop going to college and working in careers because of Pintrest? Are women more susceptible to the dangers of mass consumption than a man would be? Considering we're on Niketalk and a majority of us joined because we loved sneakers. How is it any different? Is NT a detriment to the future of men? It's providing an open forum to discuss our passion of footwear, to plan when we'll line up outside a store or flood a website to get that brand new pair of shoes. There are websites and forums dedicated to everything from the newest cell phones, to cars, to movies, music, games, and so on.

If we want to discuss the issues surrounding the new age of social media, human interaction, and mass product consumption, then I think we can do that without dividing the sexes. Both men and women would be exposed to these issues, perhaps in different ways, but all the same in the end.
so then you're agreeing with me that its conditioning...name one social media outlet that's geared toward women that has been as successfull as pinterest? Jjb? So is.this not a novel topic esp. to the bfs of those who are actively on pinterest? No I wont divide the sexes because quite frankly I haven't seen this before.

I posed the detrimental question to have some insight and perspective hence the two "maybes"

I wanted to spark discussion but you're debating with me for the sake of debating. I don't disagree with you with anything you said my dude don't try to create arguments and get the thread derailed ala sillyputty, pig love, its just not that serious.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing that Pintrest isn't anything new.. it's just another form of something that's existed for a very long time. And like a lot of new trends, it's longevity has yet to be seen. Pintrest could be gone in a couple years, replaced with something new, or simply forgotten about.

Not for nothing, but the whole "Don't create arguments" complaint is pretty lame. Have I posted a dozen replies in here trying to derail the thread? Have I repeatedly stressed a random point over and over? No. I made one post and my point, which you obviously missed, is that you're singling out this one thing when you're missing the larger forces at play... which have been in action for a very, very long time. Pintrest's success has been interesting and impressive, but in this age of new apps, websites, services, that come out all the time, what makes Pintrest so dangerous? I think it's a minor issue in comparison to the mass forces of social conditioning that everyone can be exposed to.

You say you asked the detrimental to have some "incite", well what's yours? Have you elaborated on how this is detrimental? That was my question which you don't answer. What's the end result of using Pintrest? Will it do any more damage than the century of conditioning that's already been in place? Are women more susceptible to social conditioning than a man? If you're going to say "I didn't say it was detrimental, hence the 'maybe'", then I gave my answer, it's not any more detrimental than what's already existed. Do you have an answer for your own question?

"I wanted to spark discussion".... I reply with ONE thought-out answer that gives the question more context and point out that this isn't a new phenomenon... you say "don't try to create arguments" and "it's not that serious".. that doesn't really add up.You wanted a discussion, I gave a relevant reply, you complain.

Also..
I had never said I didnt enjoy the perks of her being on pinterest but I would rather her do things in moderation and it seems like she isn't alone on this phenonema.

There's no "stop it! No more cooking delicious, new meals!" On my part

many of you dudes seem a bit suspect supporting pinterest so hard.
Nothing says "I want to spark discussion", like questioning people's sexuality. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom