Girls undressing and changing behind a store window Vol. NYC advertising (vids pg.2)

Saw this on the local news
laugh.gif
wow..this is the only article I could find

edit: another article...and for those wanting more pics, tell your favorite NYC NT'er to take pics for you lol
living_mannequins-300x300.jpg

[h1]Fifth Ave "Peep Show" Window Display Draws Crowds[/h1]
By MEREDITH TRAINA | wpix.com

November 28, 2009

50764729.jpg

Creative director and designer Carol Powley says the display is geared toward gift-buying boyfriends. (November 28, 2009)

NEW YORK (WPIX) - Forget the candy cane carousels; a new kind of window display has jaws dropping down Fifth Avenue.

Female clothing line XOXO is drawing crowds this holiday season, thanks to its new, "live" window display. Creative director and designer Carol Powley, calls her living mannequins "window theater."

The encasement depicts a young woman's apartment, where two attractive models try on clothes, flip through magazines and paint each other's nails. After dark, they change into evening wear, and spend hours primping and polishing for a night out on the town. Did we mention this is all in front of gawking crowds?

"I told them just to hang out and not to engage with the public at all," Powley told the NY Post. "When I want them to change clothes, I send them a text message. It's very voyeuristic. You want to be looking at them, but you wonder if you should be."

The display -- which plays out more like a peep show -- has drawn hundreds of men. It's no surprise that changing time -- when the models strip down to their undies -- draws the biggest crowd. Police were called to the scene Friday, thanks to a female pedestrian who drew an unfavorable reaction.

"The couple walked by the window and the guy looked too much. The woman wacked him with her purse, then she called the police," Powley told PIX News. "The police were great. They came by and they laughed because nothing lewd is going on here. It's just playful."

Some are questioning who the display is meant to attract, considering XOXO only sells women's clothes. But, Powley says the display is geared toward gift-buying boyfriends.

"I think it's a nice concept to see something live instead of seeing fake things in the windows," said onlooker, Jane Flakker. "Kids have seen enough on TV. How is this any different?"

"I was raised in Holland and used to live in the red-light district," Evert Degraeve told the Post. "This window doesn't look like a clothing advertisement to me. It looks like these girls are waiting for some customers to come along."

To check out the window theater, visit XOXO at Fifth Avenue and 38th Street. It's expected to continue though Dec. 6th.

wow....this is one step away from those red light district windows in Europe.

I guess it is time to make a quick trip to NYC. Just playing but it would be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom