Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

if you want to show up at 6, go ahead
laugh.gif

i'll be there at 6:45-7:00 am
nerd.gif

lol its all good, true blue supposed 2 b holdin me down w/ the ticket.

Much appreciated to true, and every1 else who supposed 2 coppin for others on Thurs. mornin. Yall makin it possible for us, well me at least, lol.

Ricky Rubio is back in Sacramento today to finally have that workout the Kings have been wanting. The entire charade surrounding Rubio has become tiresome for just about everyone in the NBA and the Kings, who are the most obvious landing spot for the Spanish point guard, almost reached a boiling point when he bailed out on last weekend's workout session with a fever.

Then came Starberman's report today that the Knicks were somehow suddenly involved. Bogus? Well, somewhat.

The fact is, as Donnie Walsh said, the Knicks were interested in meeting Rubio earlier in the pre-draft process, but nothing materialized. When it sounded like his stock was starting to fall, Walsh thought it should be something the Knicks monitor and, perhaps, prepare themselves for in case Rubio somehow dropped all the way to the No. 8 pick. So the Knicks reached out to Rubio's camp to see if he would be interested in a meeting. They agreed.

And just as Kings GM Geoff Petrie was getting ready to pass -- reports were that Tyreke Evans or Jonny Flynn moved ahead on their draft board -- Rubio's people made sure the New York media got wind of the Knicks interest, regardless of how mild it was.

But the Knicks had already decided not to have this meeting afterall. "I don't need to, really," Walsh said. "I know he's a good player."

Walsh also knows two things:

1. He almost certainly won't last to the No. 8 pick and,
2. if they are able to trade-up, they wouldn't do it to select him. (Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans are the more coveted prospects here).

So all within a day we have Rubio back in Sacramento ready, willing and able to participate in his first workout with an NBA team, basically 72 hours before the draft. It's possible he'll have another one, perhaps on his way to New York for the draft, with the Timberwolves, who pick at No. 6.

After Rubio's camp already shut out the Grizzlies at No. 2 and with Oklahoma City almost a lock to take James Harden with the third pick, it is clear that No. 4 is the best-case scenario for Ricky and he doesn't want to lose that number.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by bobby1109

Aight I'll be there at 7 then. Off of work and still waking up work time
laugh.gif

roll.gif
aww man, sorry about that
laugh.gif
it's cool. These fools were talking today about mecoming in for a few hours. I was like %!#% that, there's no way I'm wear the Choppa suit to the draft.

…The best opportunity may come with the Wizards' pick at No. 5, though it would come at a very steep price. Multiple sources confirmed that the Knicks have discussed a potential blockbuster trade between the teams that would land the fifth overall pick and allow the Knicks to keep their spot at No. 8. The deal likely would have to include one of the team's most valuable assets, swingman http://sny.stats.com/nba/playerstats.asp?id=4301&team=
Wilson Chandler, which would be a difficult decision.
This scenario also might include http://www.newsday.com/topic/sports/larry-hughes-PESPT003408.topic
Larry Hughes going back to Washington in exchange for guard Mike James, a Long Island product, and a big man such as Etan Thomas or Brendan Haywood. All of the players involved have expiring contracts.

The bold move by the Knicks, however, would not be to target Thabeet or even Spanish guard Ricky Rubio. It appears more likely that Davidson's Stephen Curry or Memphis' Tyreke Evans are the more coveted prospects.

The Knicks then could use their own pick at No. 8 to land Arizona power forward Jordan Hill, if he still is on the board. If not, there is Duke's Gerald Henderson or USC's DeMar DeRozan to consider as potential replacements for Chandler…"

Interesting. And Rubio could very well be there at 5, after what you heard from the blonde haired guy who's always at Laker games for ESPN.

Haywood makes sense, (not Thomas if they are targeting Hill) as does Mike James and if the Knicks could bring both of them in AND pick 5 and 8 that would be the serious play I was expecting from Walsh. Guess it would be too much to include Jared Jefferies.

Let's see. We'll do some digging too, time to head down the Beltway to my old stomping grounds. See you Thursday!

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

so walsh basically said we are not gonna draft rubio
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
frown.gif
He'll be off the board by the 8th pick
grin.gif

You really thought we had a chance at getting him?

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

so walsh basically said we are not gonna draft rubio
mad.gif
ohwell.gif
frown.gif
He'll be off the board by the 8th pick
grin.gif

You really thought we had a chance at getting him?
there was a rumor that sacremento was gonna draft flynn at 4, so if harden goes at 3, then yea i really thought we would be able to get him at 5(if that wizards deal goes through)

[h1]Knicks to Have Options, if Not Their Best Ones [/h1]

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/howard_beck/index.html?inline=nyt-per

HOWARD BECK
Published: June 22, 2009
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -Donnie Walsh has a list of 10 or 11 prospects he likes, and a reason to believe that the entire catalog will be critical for Thursdaynight's N.B.A. draft.
Skip to next paragraph
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/s...s.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss#secondParagraph
knicks190.jpg

Barton Silverman/The New York Times

U.C.L.A. guard Jrue Holiday came back for a second workout Monday for the Knicks, who pick eighth.
http://
The
Knicks are selecting eighth and will ultimately choose among two or three names. But in a murky draft year, in which few players stand out and preferenceschange daily, it is wise to have a long list. There is no telling how deep Walsh may have to go.

Blake Griffin of Oklahoma is expected to go first, to the
Los Angeles Clippers. Two other much-hyped players, Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet and the Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, are expected to go next -unless they don't.

There are concerns over Rubio and doubts about Thabeet and little certainty about any of the other prospects who sit atop most draft boards.

"You have no idea who's taking who," Walsh said Monday.

Which, of course, makes it difficult to lock in on anyone at No. 8.

The shaky state of the Knicks' roster is also a factor. After a 32-50 season, their needs are many, and will not be solved in a single draft, especiallyone this weak.

They need a point guard to either replace or spell Chris Duhon, who broke down last season under a heavy workload. They will soon need a new shooting guard,with Larry Hughes and Quentin Richardson heading into the final years of their contracts. They may need another big man, given the uncertain fates of David Lee(an unrestricted free agent) and Eddy Curry (health and conditioning issues).

The rebuilding logically begins with a point guard, and the Knicks may find their playmaker of the future Thursday night. The draft is deep at the position,with at least 10 projected to go in the first round.

The Knicks love Davidson's Stephen Curry and are intrigued by Rubio, but both are expected to be off the board before they pick. They are also high onMemphis's Tyreke Evans, an explosive combo guard.

If those three are gone, the Knicks could change gears and draft Jordan Hill, the Arizona power forward. If Hill is gone, the decision could come down toGerald Henderson, the http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refer...s/d/duke_university/index.html?inline=nyt-orgDuke shooting guard, and Jrue Holiday, the U.C.L.A. combo guard.

Holiday came back for a second workout Monday, a clear indicator of the Knicks' interest. He first worked out for them June 10, against a group thatincluded Curry, Henderson and Temple's Dionte Christmas.

Although Holiday was critical of himself after the first workout, Walsh said he was not looking for anything specific.

"I just wanted to take a final look at him," Walsh said.

On Monday, Holiday played down the struggles in his first workout and said he was pleased that the Knicks invited him back.

"It makes it seem like they like me," he said. "They're interested in me, and if I get to the eighth pick, then they might takeme."

As of Monday, Walsh seemingly had not ruled out anyone or anything, although he did seem doubtful that the Knicks would trade up in the draft or acquire asecond pick. He even suggested that Thabeet and Rubio, who once seemed like locks to go in the top four, may, against all odds, slide to No. 8.

"They could," he said. "It's possible. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but you're reading all this stuff or hearing allthis stuff. It could happen."

REBOUNDS
Danilo Gallinari, who had back surgery in April, is said to be recovering well and could be back on the court soon. "All the reports thatI'm getting back is that they feel the operation was a success," Donnie Walsh said. "It doesn't seem to be a big obstacle." Walsh alsooffered a positive appraisal of Eddy Curry, who is working to lose weight and regain his conditioning after an injury-marred season. Walsh visited Curry inlate May. "He's working very hard, he's losing weight, he's starting to get his body to look like an athlete's body again," Walshsaid. "I have to give him credit for working as hard as he can work to try to do it."

if we pull that trade off walsh should be the executive of the year already. im not getting my hopes up about curry and specially rubio but im fine with flynn
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom