Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

If we trade up, it BETTER be for Rubio.

My thing with Williams, is even tho i like him...he has no fit on this team as previously said.

I dunno who we take at 28 cause I'm assuming a Guard at 8 still and then what? There's no bigs

laugh.gif
why wouldn't they mention that Dell played for the Hornets?

I still think flynn is a better pick then Curry. I hope one of them are there at 8. Better not be Brando Jennings.

although, I'd bet it's for Jack McClinton.

which is okay, if you can fill a role position at that point in the draft, it's a plus.

If we move into top 5, its Rubio or bust. Curry aint worth a top 5 pick. Id rather keep 8 and scoop up Flynn or someone.

Originally Posted by xblker47

Last minute changes with my family has stopped me from going to the draft
mad.gif
smh.gif
frown.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
oh great, you just cut two ppl off...oh man, ok whatever lol..appreciated thehelp anyway

Kahn said the Timberwolves still own the #28 pick.....he said trading it is an option though.

apparently, someone working at MSG jumped the gun with the false report (28th pick)
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
smh.gif
..just saw it on 1050 espn twitter

Who else is going to the draft and is able to buy another ticket tomorrow morning? (there's a 2 ticket limit per person)

[h3]A chaotic countdown[/h3]
Lots of chatter Wednesday, not only in New York when the NBA conducted its annual pre-draft chin-wag with draftees that will await their fate in the green-room Thursday night, but blowing in the tradewinds, some of which has landed.

The biggest deal from the Knicks' point of view was Minnesota adding Washington's No. 5 pick (a Tuesday deal made official Wednesday) to the No. 6 it already had _ which could cost Team Donnie/D'Antoni not only a shot at Ricky Rubio, but Stephen Curry and perhaps Tyreke Evans, as well.

Minny could trade both to Memphis for the No. 2 and grab Rubio , even after the fact, with Memphis then possibly taking Curry and almost certainly Evans after his one year with Coach Cal. Or the T-wolves could keep both and probably grab Curry with at least one of the picks, with Memphis, Oklahoma (which hired a Spanish law firm in case they need it for Rubio's buyout) or Sac-to taking Ricky.

So the Knicks may have some tradin' to do if they don't want to get stuck with the fourth or worst player on their draft board and try to make Memphis, OKC or Sac-to an offer one of them can't refuse.

And if that means one of those teams taking someone on their behalf until the Knicks can officially sign-and-trade David Lee or Nate Robinson on July 9, so be it.

The Knicks, apparently, are already working with Memphis on a Quentin Richardson-for-Darko Milicic deal, one piece of deadwood for another, taller version who just might end up finding a niche in MD'As system. It's a stretch to say Darko would make like Chauncey Billups, who practically ran through the entire league before suceeding in Detroit, but it's worth a one-year, expiring contract look.

Trader Donnie also is likely to grab Minnesota's fourth and final first-round pick (No. 28) for money, since the T-wolves don't want to hand out four guaranteed first-round contracts.

That plus the No. 8 probably won't get anyone above them to bite on trading them a higher pick, but you know D-Walsh is trying that, plus whatever else he can to avoid "settling" at eight..

Oh, and our old friend Jamal Crawford looks like he's headed back to the Eastern Division, with Atlanta poised to grab him for Speedy Claxton and Acie Law.

All this more than 24 hours before the Clippers officially pick Blake Griffin into the anonymity that comes with their franchise.

We'll try to update as things develop.

In New York, meanwhile, some interesting remarks, starting with Rubio, who proclaimed "New York is the dream team."

There's been late talk that, because of his buyout, he could slip all the way down to eight, but talk is cheap these days and actions speak louder than words. He may have to start dreaming about Graceland Garrison Keilor or Gov. Terminator.

As for Gerald Henderson, whom Frankie Ice of the Daily News wrote could be the Knicks' fallback pick, he declared himself familiar with MD'A's system because Mike Krzyzewski implemented some of it in Duke's system last season after working with MD'A in the Olympics.

Of course, like anyone you cared to ask, Henderson LUVS MD'A's system, because it would allow him to go up and down. Most players, though, don't add that they don't have to play as much defense, either.

Most players, too, all say wonderful things about the possibility of playing in New York, the whole "Mecca of basketball" thing.

We wonder what they say to folks from Oklahoma City about playing, oh, in the "Mecca of oil." Or Sacramento, "the Mecca of bankrupt government."

Curry, meanwhile, sounded somewhat resigned to getting picked too high to fulfill his quest to play for MD'A.

He did say, though, that some GMs have told his agent that the Knicks have been trying to move up to get him.

No doubt. the Washington-Minny deal, though, put a damper on that. But Thursday, expect a Down-to-the-Wire Donnie to do what he can to get the player he wants to keep the New York fans from giving his pick (and those before them) the Danilo Gallinari treatment.

One last Wednesday observation: If the Knicks happen to take Arizona power Jordan Hill, you'll start hearing some Renaldo Balkman comparisons (and some boos), not because he'd be an unknown quantity like Isiah Thomas' next-to-last first-rounder or because, like Balkman, he can't shoot a lick.

But like Balkman, Hill wears dreadlocks AND has the deep, low-pitched voice of a Sixties FM jazz DJ ("awww, man").

I'm OKAY with Hill or Holiday. Less with Holiday, but still a 19 year old 6'4 PG is something that may turn out ok under D'Antoni

Because of his comfort level with his teammates and city, and of course, the chance to get an $8 million-$9 million contract, odds are that free agent Jason Kidd will re-sign with the Dallas Mavericks. Yet, he has an intrigue with the New York Knicks that is mutual, and a Knicks source says they plan to try and meet with him once free agency starts on July 1.

Kidd is considering possibilities with Portland and Cleveland, but he always loved New York a lot more than New Jersey. He built good relationships with Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and Portland's Nate McMillan when they were assistant coaches for Team USA.

Barring a sign-and-trade
deal, the Knicks would be limited to offering Kidd the midlevel exception.

-Another interesting quote in today's media session came from Jordan Hill, as he was very candid in deflecting criticism he had received from some comments he made in private interviews at the NBA combine in Chicago earlier this month about affinity for nightlife.

"I definitely don't regret it; they asked me to be honest. I don't go out and party all night, I'm not like that, but I like to have a little fun. When I get my work done first, then I'll go out and have a little time for myself. I don't regret saying what I did, they wanted me to be honest and I was."

If Stephen Curry is indeed off the board as expected, Hill appears to be a very strong target for the New York Knicks, particularly their head coach Mike D'Antoni. The front office seems to be leaning towards Jrue Holiday, but could be swayed towards selecting Hill instead, especially if they feel like they can sign and trade David Lee to Oklahoma City for the rights to Ricky Rubio.

When told about the rumors about D'Antoni, Hill did not surprised at all, telling us about an interesting conversation the two had after Hill's workout in New York:

"I was able to show more athleticism, my quickness, how well I run the floor, my mid-range jumper; they say I'm like Amare. You know Coach D'Antoni coached him and I feel like any team would want to have Amare and that's how they feel about me.

DX: Did he bring that up to you? Amare?

JH: Yes."

New York is reportedly very frustrated not to have found a way to move up into the top 5 of the draft, as they apparently felt like they already had a deal done with the Washington Wizards (Wilson Chandler and Larry Hughes for expiring contracts) before Minnesota's offer won out. They are very much in the mix trying to make a trade happen, and therefore it wasn't surprising to see them try and acquire Darko Milicic.

New York's two main targets are still Ricky Rubio and Stephen Curry. Unfortunately for the Knicks, Curry's camp appears to be resolved to the fact that he is going 5, 6 or 7. Rubio will obviously be long gone.

Back
Top Bottom