Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

[h3]Pre-Draft AvailabilityNotebook[/h3]
Another crazy day of rumors, speculation and trade possibilities. Another day where it seems Stephen Curry is tantalizingly close to landing with theKnicks.

I even asked Steph today at the NBADraft Presented by EA Sports Media Availability what I know some of you are thinking about incorrigible hacks like me your beloved bloghost: If youdon't wind up with the Knicks, it is people like me who ruined it by writing about you too early in the process?

He laughed.

"I don't know, It's kind of funny because I came out thinking I would be in the seven to 20 range and then worked out with New York andeverybody thought I was a lock," he said. "I worked out some more and I kind of jumped higher so it's just a process. I can't keep up with itanymore. I just try to do what I do in the workouts and let things happen."

Easy for some, but we're not in the business of waiting for it to happen. We're the people who are paid to find out what could happen and how it mayhappen and why and then deliver it to you in some comprehensible form. (I just like to occassionally toss in a lyric or two.)

Here are some thoughts, observations and hearsay from the day-before-the-day:

* - Gerald Henderson bears a striking resemblance to Allan Houston. Sure, it would be great if he also had the sweet jumper, but it was an amazing likenessin mannerisms and inflections were dead-on H20. Pure executive material. But, again, if only he had that J. Still, Henderson would be a good pick to come awaywith, especially because he can fill that gaping hole at shooting guard. Henderson was lost in the shuffle of that June 10 workout that included Curry and JrueHoliday, but he says it was one of his best, if not the best, workout he had in the pre-draft process. The Knicks came away very impressed.

"We had a pretty good group, but I thought I held my own and those guys did really well also," he said. "It was very competitive andchallenging group."

* - Ricky Rubio said he would be "excited" if the Knicks landed him. DraftExpress.com's Jonathan Givony -- who literally walked away in themiddle of a videotaped interview with Hasheem Thabeet to take a call from an agent...talk about in the zone -- is floating the possibilities that the Knicks may offer upDavid Lee to OKC in a sign-and-trade for Rubio in July. A tad out-there as far as theories go, but Givony has proven to be well-connected this year.

* - Brandon Jennings has pretty much surrendered the idea of being a Knick: "I doubt if get picked by the Knicks, I think everybody knows whothey're trying to get," he said. "I'm not really going to talk too much about the Knicks. I would love to be there in NYC, don't get mewrong, and play for D'Antoni. You see what he did for Steve Nash those two years. But I think any team I go to I'll be ready mentally."

Fixer buddy Andrew Marchand of ESPN Radio was stunned. He interrupted, "You don't think there's a chance?"

"Well, I mean there's always a chance," Jennings said. "It just depends on what happens that night. With the trades, I think kind ofshake the draft up a little bit. It all depends on those two picks from Minnesota I think."

* - Timberwolves president David Kahn late this afternoon vehemently denied there was a deal in place with the Knicks for the 28th overall pick, as had beenthe hot rumor earlier in the day (when I was on the damn train and could only tweet that, after a little help from some insider friends, it was not, in fact, adone deal, amid swirling reports that it was). There was talk that the Knicks tried to get Memphis' pick at No. 27 but the Grizzlies declined.

Now it sounds like the Knicks are aiming for Minnesota's other pick at No. 18. Could be a cash deal or maybe it costs the Renaldo Balkman tradeexception, which expires in July. Regardless, these are believed to be a few of many options Donnie Walsh and his staff are trying to set up going into draftnight.

* - The rumored trade between Memphis and the Knicks is something I can't confirm, but if the Worldwide Leader has it, it's probably accuratebecause generally in the 48 hour range of the NBA Draft, the league ensures the TV rightsholder will get all the scoopage -- that would send Darko Milicic forQuentin Richardson (two expirings) suggests the Grizzlies are looking to rid themselves of a big, perhaps because they plan to take one in Hasheem Thabeet.

* - Mock Talk: Oklahoma City could go for Ricky Rubio at No. 3, but James Harden is just a better fit. The Thunder is one of the few drum-tightorganizations in the draft. Absolutely zero is being leaked from their braintrust, so everything is pure speculation, but one thing we have consistently heardover the past few weeks is the Thunder are not interested in sliding Russell Westbrook out of the point guard spot. That leaves Rubio on the board forSacramento at No. 4, but wait...the latest word is the Kings will pass on Rubio and go for Tyreke Evans. That sets up Minnesota, who targeted Rubio with thetrade-up and they could get him at No. 5.

Which Momma Rubio won't like.

"My mom's worried because she doesn't like the cold weather," he said today sort of half-kidding. "She's worried about that.We'll see."

That leaves the sixth pick as a curious one. If the T-Wolves get Rubio, why would they draft another guard with the sixth pick? But they have an eye onHarden or Evans as shooting guards if they are there. If not, total mystery.

* - The Golden State Warriors were very close to moving Jamal Crawford to Atlanta for guards Speedy Claxton and Acie Law. This could have a major impact onthe Knicks' plans for Stephen Curry because if the Warriors were looking for guards to support Monta Ellis, they just landed two guard, but, really, arethey the answer there?

Claxton (another Long Island guy) has been riddled with injuries but is apparently working feverishly to be ready to go in the fall. He and his agent havebeen pushing for a trade to get out of Atlanta. Law is the former 11th overall pick just two years ago by the Hawks and has been a disappointment. Not atremendous athlete like Claxton is, so I'm not sure he flourishes in Nellieball. But he is young, inexpensive and does have some usable skills as a depthguard.

If these two are considered the Ellis support system, then the Warriors go for Jordan Hill to fill the power forward spot.

As for Mally-Mal, good for him. Perhaps that dubious playoff drought will finally come to an end for him in ATL.

* - What else? Let's see...I asked Blake Griffin -- who worked out only for the Clippers and Mike Dunleavy is already diagraming plans for him -- if hewas glad he didn't have to worry about all of the rumors and speculation like the rest of his draft classmates. "In my mind, anything canhappen," he said. "Nothing's set in stone right now. I wasn't going all over the place working out, but still something could be switchedaround."

Wait, I said, they didn't give you a guarantee yet?

"Ummm," he said, with a smile, "until I sign on that line, I'll look at it like that."

* - Programming note: We'll do a LIVE CHAT tomorrow (Thursday) morning at 11 a.m. We'll go as long as it takes so bring your questions.

* - Also remember to follow me on Twitter (twitter.com/alanhahn) for up-to-the-minute notes and scoops throughoutDraft Day and into the night.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by xblker47

Last minute changes with my family has stopped me from going to the draft
mad.gif
smh.gif
frown.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif
oh great, you just cut two ppl off...oh man, ok whatever lol..appreciated the help anyway
sorry man
smh.gif

I think I'ma go tomorrow morning to buy ticks for myself so Apollo can buy one for someone else.

What time you guys getting there?

This dude Prophecy, this is the time you need to be online late bruh. I got a few questions
nerd.gif

I think I'ma go tomorrow morning to buy ticks for myself so Apollo can buy one for someone else.

What time you guys getting there?

I was thinking to go early tomorrow with Prophecy but I don't have his # or anything to get in contact with him. When you going? I'llmeet u if I can't get in touch with this dude.

Does anyone have Prophecy's #?

Report: Darko Could Be With Knicks By End Of Week

ESPN - 06/24 - 12:55 PM EST (AP Photo)

The Grizzlies have engaged in advanced discussions with the Knicks that will Darko Milicic in New York by week's end, unless Memphis winds up needingMilicic's expiring contract in another draft-related trade.
Sources say that the proposed swap would send Milicic to the Knicks for Quentin Richardson and cash. Milicic is scheduled to earn $7.5 million next season inthe final year of a three-year deal he received from the Griz in 2007; Richardson has a player option for next season at $8.7 million.

EDIT: nvm prophecy posted the info already.

YO IF FOR ANY REASON ONE OF YOU GUYS GETS AN EXTRA TICKET FOR THE DRAFT LET ME KNOW

PLEASE PM ME

I'm guessing they still going after Stephen Curry?

Also, whats a good time to get on line for the tickets?

Originally Posted by DMasta718

who's that in ur avy? i forgot her name...just know it's some Brazilian chick

Originally Posted by Supafly122

Originally Posted by DMasta718

who's that in ur avy? i forgot her name...just know it's some Brazilian chick

Andressa Soares
pimp.gif

Oh and about tom. night, Refer to sig/avy
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Cavs just acquired shaq for ben wallace, sasha pavlovic, and a pick in the late 40's... sig not lookin too good rite about now smh:

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by KingFoamNYC

Cavs just acquired shaq for ben wallace, sasha pavlovic, and a pick in the late 40's... sig not lookin too good rite about now smh:
laugh.gif
alien.gif
smh.gif

YO.
laugh.gif

What's good tomorrow? Hit me up, airmaxpenny trying to meet up as well I believe. Who else is meeting with us?

[h1]Knicks still aiming to land Curry in NBAdraft[/h1]BY ALAN HAHN |[email protected] 11:03 PM EDT, June 24, 2009The War Room at the MSG Training Center has been set up for a week now and the 10-hour days have been punched on the time cards ofeveryone from the part-time scouts all the way up to Knicks president Donnie Walsh.Thursday that room will be filled with the typical anxious buzz as the NBA draft is held a half-hour away at the WaMu Theatre at theGarden. The Knicks hold the eighth overall pick and are targeting Davidson guard Stephen Curry.

In what is viewed as a critical draft for the Knicks, who don't own a first-round pick in 2010, Walsh and his staff Wednesday put in a feverish day tryingto recover after their attempt to move into the No. 5 spot - and ensure Curry as their pick - was trumped by a bold move from the Timberwolves. Though theKnicks still believe they will need to move up to land Curry, who is considered the best fit for them in this draft, there is an outside chance - very slim -the NCAA's leading scorer could fall to them at No. 8.

Curry, who has stated that he would prefer to land with the Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday - Wednesday believed "thechances are pretty good" and he remained hopeful that he'll be putting on a Knicks cap.

"I want to go high, but you want to be in a spot where you'll be productive on the court and you'll fit in with the style of play they run and theKnicks really fit how I play so, that's what I'm hoping," he said. "But once it comes down to it, wherever I go I'm not going to be oneof those guys that says, 'Aw no . . .'"

That'll be left to the Knicks fans that crowd the Theatre hoping for some rare fortune to shine on this long-lost franchise. And it's been a whilesince there was a true New York roar on draft night.

There is a consensus on the first pick, which will be Oklahoma power forward Blake Griffin, who will go to the Los Angeles Clippers. After thatit remains anyone's guess. That is why the Knicks are preparing for every possible scenario and, yes, still trying to find a way to move up in the draft.Walsh and Glen Grunwald were working on picking up another pick later in the first round, with either of Minnesota's choices at 18 or 26 as possibilities,among others.

ESPN Wednesday reported that the Knicksand Grizzlies were working on a trade that would exchange a pair of expiring contracts, swingman Quentin Richardson for center DarkoMilicic, which suggests that Memphis was clearing a place for UConn center Hasheem Thabeet with the No. 2 pick.

If Curry is lost in the earlier picks - he could wind up in Minnesota (Nos. 5 and 6) or Golden State (No. 7) - the Knicks' best-case scenario would be thatMemphis guard Tyreke Evans would somehow slip. Another long shot would be Spanish guard Ricky Rubio.

Duke shooting guard Gerald Henderson is another option, as is Arizona's Jordan Hill, a 6-10 power forward.

UCLA guard Jrue Holiday is also in the conversation, but despite having what scouts see as a tremendous upside, he is viewed as a project.

If Walsh lands a late first-rounder, he could do so to package it for a chance to move up or use it to nab Gonzaga center Austin Daye.

[h1]Knick targets Steve Nash & Chris Bosh on New York andfree-agency[/h1]
By BRIAN LEWIS

Tonight teams will converge on the Garden for the NBA draft, hoping to make the pick that changes their futures. But last night, Phoenix' Steve Nash andToronto's Chris Bosh _ two stars the Knicks New York Knicks
http://i.ixnp.com/images/...eme/silver/palette.gif); background-color: transparent; visibility: visible; width: 14px; height: 12px;background-position: -1128px 0pt; background-repeat: no-repeat; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: top; display: inline;"src="http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.86/t.gif"> hope can change their future _ were in Chinatown squaring off against each other...in soccer.

They played in the Showdown in Chinatown, a charity game Nash founded with ex-U.S. soccer star Claudio Reyna. The Suns guard had a first-half hat-trick, butBosh was the crowd favorite, partly because he couldn't play a lick but mostly because they just want to him in a Knick uniform in 2010.

They may be part of a 2010 free-agent class that includes LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and perhaps Nash's teammate Amare Stoudemire if he opts out. Bothhave been coached by Mike D'Antoni, both have question marks looming over their teams, and for Nash seems quite interested.

"Obviously I love New York City; I'm making this my home. Mike D'Antoni is one of my favorite coaches. So in a lot of ways it'd beamazing,'' said Nash, who lives in SoHo during the offseason. "But it's not simple; a lot of stuff has to go right for me to be in New York.And I'm happy in Phoenix. We'll see what happens.

"Obviously I live in the city and I love Mike, so it would definitely be an exciting option for me. But such much stuff has got to happen for that.It's a ways to go...To live in New York, and I love Mike. It'd be a great option. And it's always good to have options.''

Nash, who'd been a 30-year-old all-star alternate before being acquired by Phoenix, blossomed into a two-time MVP under D'Antoni. They remain close,with Nash even telling David Letterman "I'd love to (play for the Knicks). Can you work itout? http://i.ixnp.com/images/...eme/silver/palette.gif); background-color: transparent; visibility: visible; width: 14px; height: 12px;background-position: -1072px 0pt; background-repeat: no-repeat; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: top; display: inline;"src="http://i.ixnp.com/images/v3.86/t.gif">''

The guard said he's had talks with Phoenix, although nothing substantive. Right up until hours before they traded away Shaquille O'Neal, he'dinsisted he wasn't buying the reports that the Suns are being broken down, wonder what he thinks now? And he did admit having pause over their well-knownfinancial woes.

This is a club that sold or dealt five first-round picks from 2004-07, and sent last year's and next year's first-rounders to Seattle/Oklahoma Cityto dump Kurt Thomas's contract. Nash has reason to be concerned.

"I know there's been some financial difficulties. I'd like to know where we are with that, make sure the franchise is going to be OK,''said Nash, who scored a first-half hat-trick in his charity game. "But other than that, I want it to work out for everybody.''

Nash met with Suns brass, and he's open to an extension. Or if they waive him by next Tuesday, a little more than half of his $13.5 million for nextseason is guaranteed, so he'd become unrestricted the next day, with $7 million in his pocket and free to sign with the Knicks. Or he could just play outthe final year of his deal, during which he turns 36.

Whatever the case, both Nash and Bosh know the Knicks are not a franchise unwilling or unable to spend. Bosh _ coached by D'Antoni in the Olympics _ hassaid he doesn't plan to sign a contract extension with Toronto.

"They haven't even offered it to me. You can't reject something that hasn't been offered,'' said Bosh, who still prefers to testthe free-agent market in 2010, when he'd become available to the Knicks.

"Why wouldn't it be my preference? You develop and put yourself in a good position to do some really good things and be in a lot of advantages. Youcan't help but like it...love it.''

The crowd at Nash's charity event loved Bosh, partly because of his admitted lack of soccer skills, but largely because many want to see him in Knickblue and orange in 2010. Fans screamed out "Chris, come to the Knicks'' in the first half, and after he incited the crowd with a blistering shotin the second, they chanted "Bosh! Bosh! Bosh!''
They only hope they can do that at the Garden by opening night 2010.

Knicks keeping busy

Thursday, June 25, 2009
Last updated: Thursday June 25, 2009, 1:46 AM

BY STEVE ADAMEK

NorthJersey.com

STAFF WRITER

NEW YORK - Ricky Rubio, the teenage Spanish point guard whom the Knicks would love to snatch at tonight's NBA Draft, didn't hide his thoughts about that possibility Wednesday.

"New York," he said, a little more than 24 hours before the annual extravaganza, "is the dream team."

He might want to start dreaming about Graceland, wind sweeping down the plain, Gov. Ahh-nold or Garrison Keilor, since his future could be in Memphis, Oklahoma, Sacramento or Minnesota.

Stephen Curry also may have to alter his geographic outlook, for although he repeated his desire to play for Mike D'Antoni, he, like Rubio, doesn't seem likely to slip down to the Knicks, sitting with the eighth-overall pick.

Unless the Knicks can trade up, that is.

That's the scenario that confronted president Donnie Walsh, D'Antoni and the rest of the Knicks' hierarchy on Wednesday: a draft in which they might have to "settle" for someone other than two of the players certainly at or near the top of their list.

Pending a move by Trader Donnie.

It's a fluid scenario that could change not only up until the Knicks are ready to pick, but after, via a pre-arranged deal, even one that might not be consummated until July 9, the first day restricted free agents David Lee and Nate Robinson can be dealt.

Walsh and other team officials were in a second day of lockdown mode Wednesday and not available for comment. Yet, Walsh made it clear earlier this week that he'll have a Plan B, C and beyond to deal with what transpires in a draft with plenty of mystery after the Clippers choose Blake Griffin first overall.

"We have until [tonight] and we need to spend it exactly on that [alternatives] to make sure if this, this or this happens, we'll be ready," he said.

He insists he won't take the "best point guard available" to fill a clear need, although plenty, including Syracuse's Jonny Flynn, UCLA's Jrue Holiday, high school-to-Europe prospect Brandon Jennings, plus Memphis combo guard Tyreke Evans could be available.

Jordan Hill, a power forward from Arizona who's apparently fallen out of the top five, could be an alternative, as could Duke shooting guard Gerald Henderson, whose father (also Gerald) played for the Knicks more than two decades ago.

All that aside, they appear to have one post-draft deal in place: Quentin Richardson (plus cash to pay the salary difference) to Memphis for Darko Milicic, the disappointing second-overall pick in 2004. They also appear ready to grab a second first-rounder, Minnesota's No. 28, likely for cash.

That became the T-wolves' fourth first-rounder after they traded for Washington's fifth-overall choice late Tuesday. They also own No. 6 and 18, and reportedly were looking to package 5 and 6 in exchange for Memphis' No. 2, to grab Rubio.

Sacramento (No. 4) also reportedly wants Rubio, with Curry its fallback position. So the top of the draft could turn into a Knicks' nightmare.

"If they [trade] up, it will be exciting to go to New York," Rubio said at a midtown Manhattan hotel Wednesday during a pre-draft media session, stating what seems obvious to him.

"A few GMs, [told] my agent [that] the Knicks at one point or another said they didn't think I was going to be there at eight," Curry said, "and they were going to see about the possibilities of moving up."

The Knicks probably have to in order to get their hands on either, perhaps even Evans, who could be their third choice.

So they may have to dig even deeper on a night when the only thing certain could be uncertainty.

This draft couldnt have played out worst for the Knicks. Curry should have flat out stated he wanted to play for the Knicks and only the Knicks he might havescared enough teams to get to the Knicks at 8. If Rubio and Curry are gone Walsh has to draft Flynn the only player that makes sense at this point for them.

Back
Top Bottom