Going PC to Mac...Need avice

I'm about to switch from my 15" Dell Studio to a Macbook. I am getting it to use mainly for storing music, surfing the web, and taking notes for class/doing homework, I'm not a power user but I do enjoy some minor customization.
I was looking into either the better 13" Macbook Air or the better 13" Macbook Pro. I'm loving the portable-ness of the Air but the small hard drive is whats driving me towards the pro. I know the Macbook Pro is a great machine because a lot of friends have it. However, does anyone own an Air that can give me some advice?
nerd.gif

I own the Air. It's nice. Extremely portable and works well. If you are just using it for the reasons listed it should work well.

Originally Posted by Sneaker Champ

I own the Air. It's nice. Extremely portable and works well. If you are just using it for the reasons listed it should work well.
What are your specs? And how close have you come to filling the hard drive?

for what you're doing, all you need is a 13" MBP.  I have the 15" just because I like having the larger screen. 

I know all I would need is a 13" but I'm more wondering if I'd be alright with an Air? I love the Pro so I know I'd be down with that, but an Air is just more appealing with it's thinness and lightness. Thanks for the replies so far!

Do you have to have one right now? If you could wait till about June then I'd wait for the new ones.

Pro>Air
I have a Pro and my friend wanted to get an Air so i took her to go look at it....she now owns a Pro

Originally Posted by bwrestler15

I'm about to switch from my 15" Dell Studio to a Macbook. I am getting it to use mainly for storing music, surfing the web, and taking notes for class/doing homework, I'm not a power user but I do enjoy some minor customization.
I was looking into either the better 13" Macbook Air or the better 13" Macbook Pro. I'm loving the portable-ness of the Air but the small hard drive is whats driving me towards the pro. I know the Macbook Pro is a great machine because a lot of friends have it. However, does anyone own an Air that can give me some advice?
nerd.gif

Then why switch
indifferent.gif
? Next month Amd Trinity Laptops come out and you get preformance from those. Hell for your needs all you need a simple laptop.
You doing it for using it as a Fashion accessory or a real reason? 

I am not in total need of it right now, but the hinges are starting to fail on my Dell, the casing is cracked and broken.
frown.gif
I love windows and mac os, but this is the second windows laptop I have had to replace due to hardware issues rather than the actual software failing. Is it confirmed that the new line up will be coming soon? Because I will for sure need it before next school year and ideally as soon as possible.
ohwell.gif

EDIT: I should have specified that I am on my computer a decent amount of time, and am mainly looking into Apple for the simple reason that the hardware is durable and will last longer than a PC judging from my past experiences. I have used both Windows and Mac OS for years and enjoy both of them, it's just that Apple puts more thought into the overall design of their products.

I am not in total need of it right now, but the hinges are starting to fail on my Dell, the casing is cracked and broken.
frown.gif
I love windows and mac os, but this is the second windows laptop I have had to replace due to hardware issues rather than the actual software failing. Is it confirmed that the new line up will be coming soon? Because I will for sure need it before next school year and ideally as soon as possible.
ohwell.gif

What brands have you been buying? Dell and Hps are terrible sometimes. Get the laptops that have metal in the body for durability and for hardware issues It might be because of the price you paid. 

If you got one of those 300-500 15.6 inch laptops then expect a issue down the line.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

frown.gif
ohwell.gif

What brands have you been buying? Dell and Hps are terrible sometimes. Get the laptops that have metal in the body for durability and for hardware issues It might be because of the price you paid. 

If you got one of those 300-500 15.6 inch laptops then expect a issue down the line.

My first one, I'll admit was a $400 15" HP, so I'm not too mad about that, I was young when I got that. I have a 15" Dell Studio right now that was about $799 on sale+mail in rebate about 2 years back. It was regularly about $950 if I'm correct. Could you point me in the direction of a more durable PC? I'm always open to suggestions.

i own a 15" HP and it was real cheap, like maybe $500. It works but I'm looking for something else down the line that has much better performance but I'm not looking for MBP. I like Macs but I can't justify paying that much. 

Yeah I'd suggest to wait a bit. I have a MBP 13", but I think this design is of the past, the optical drive is totally unnecessary, personally I've used mine twice. New models should cost the same and will be thinner as well. Alongside I've hear great things about the air, although a friend of mine had issues with the processor overheating and burning down and another downside is the relatively small HD, but I think with a time capsule you can solve that. ALthough new MBP should have larger HD's.
New updates may come in april, of not, then June.

Wait for a new MBP model update that they'll most likely be droppin soon.. and to answer your question I'd say go for the Pro.

Pros have much more memory, thus will last you longer in the long run. You don't want to spend all that money just to fill up the memory in a year.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
pimp.gif
I'm going to wait until the new ones come out and most likely go with the MBP.

I have an Air, wish I got a Pro.

Computer overheating and fan noise while playing Netflix sucks.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
My MBP is on eBay right now, eff that, refreshes any week now.

so you're gonna lose all your files or what method do you use to transfer your apps, data and settings?

Back
Top Bottom