Got a quick RAM question for the computer savy....

Right now, I have 3gb of on my laptop.  
I believe:

1 - 1GB

1 - 2GB

If I want to upgrade to 4GB, can I just replace the 1GB w/ a 2GB?  Or do I have to replace both?

you can just replace the 1GB stick with a 2GB. make sure your running a 64 bit OS that can take advantage of the 4GB's of ram & that your replacing it with the same type of ram

You can replace the 1 gb with a 2 gb but the ram has to have the same timing and speeds otherwise its not going to work.

I have Vista and when I try and look at my display settings, it only has 32 bit as the highest setting. Is it worthless to upgrade than? What Im usually doing is running League of legends, and skype at the same time. I thought that ram would make it run a little smoother.

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

You can replace the 1 gb with a 2 gb but the ram has to have the same timing and speeds otherwise its not going to work.

Awesome.  Thats what I was kind of wondering, if both of the cards had to have some of the same specs.  

Originally Posted by vdubsta

I have Vista and when I try and look at my display settings, it only has 32 bit as the highest setting. Is it worthless to upgrade than? What Im usually doing is running League of legends, and skype at the same time. I thought that ram would make it run a little smoother.

lol

this is how you check if your system is 32 or 64 bit

1. Click Start
    VistaStartButton.jpg

, type system in the Start Search box, and then click system in the Programs list.
  2. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    • For a 64-bit version operating system: 64-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.
    • For a 32-bit version operating system: 32-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.
It's not really worth upgrading to 4GB unless you have a 64 bit system since 32 bit systems can only use 3.25GB's max.
And to go from a 32 bit to a 64 bit you'll have to reinstall windows.

Back
Top Bottom