/Thread

Trojan_Magnum_XL_LRG.jpg
get on my level no liberace

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Printing Press.

Gutenberg.

Holla.

Co-sign,

Although technically, Gutenberg's break through was the application of movable type to the printing press. The Chinese had been using wood carvings and inkin printing presses for five centuries before Gutenberg's movable type.

Wood carvings were almost as labor intensive as writing manuscripts but movable type allowed books to become relatively cheap and plentiful.

I have read and researched a great deal about the Middle Ages and it amazes me how expensive books were. It took the labor of the most educated people insociety to turn out a few hundred pages, per year, per person. When students went away to study at a place like Medieval Paris or Oxford, they spent most ofthe their time outside of class, borrowing books from the libraries and copying them, that was study for them. The same was true for monks, they said they werededicating their lives to God but in the practical sense it was often times dedicated to prayer and hand copying.

One of the most harrowing and memorable accounts of the struggle for literacy comes from Medieval England. Monks copied in the dead of winter in themonastery's writing room, the scriptorium. They risked frosted bite as they dipped their inks into ink, made in slush from the cold. In the cultural winterof the Early Middle Ages (colloquially called the Dark Ages) and literal winter, they kept alive the Latin Classics as well as make their own contributions tohuman knowledge, despite facing down innumerable dangers and risks and pains to do so.

Those monks kept alive world in which Gutenbuerg's creation would be able to make the mark that it did. Thanks to Gutenberg's new press, literacy wouldeventually become mass literacy and every modern invention owes it's existence to Gutenberg's press and to those who made that press a into a reality.

Back
Top Bottom