GZA goes off on Souljah Boy And 50 Cent Vol. Nothin Special, But...

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

Krs-one is a hypocrite on another note...

Anyways, Gza is a prolific writer and has right to critique anyones skills. Let alone him being a prodominant hiphop artist that has made a way for mc's. It's not like what he's saying is false. But thing is, I can't agree with the statement with soljah boy. Son is 17, he came up poor and just bought his moms a crib. However ignorant he may be, he did his thing young. That's definently respectable.

i think anyone with a heart would buy they moms a crib if they had the chance. dont matter how old or young. his skill as an MC doesnt come from how muchmoney he has or what he does for his family. i know hes young and is makin music thats fun for him but god damn its like the kid is missin alot of braincellswith the shhhhhhhh he does. tip, phife and shaheed were 17 years old when they came into the game and if you listen to people's instinctive travels, theywere havin hella fun with their music. "i left my wallet in el segundo", "pubic enemy", "bonita applebum", "ham neggs", "luck of lucien" were all songs that they were just joking in talkin about the normal things 17 year olds talk about (sex, taking yourmoms car on a roadtrip, that bangin girl, etc etc) but they did it in a creative way. "superman that@+#$"? come on man
smh.gif

I find it odd that GZA thinks that there is only supposed to be one genre of rap music, when in reality there is large audience for this music that cannot allbe pleased w/ one type of rap. I'm not saying he can't have an opinion, but yes he sounds mad, and that is very rarely a good look for anyone.

In my humble opinion the best song on a GZA album is Basic Instructions,and not his verse. Honestly I find dude real boring and lyrically aaiiigghht at best,but I definitely am not angry that others enjoy his music so very much, nor do I wish him any ill will for his success.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

1.Biggie
2.Jay
4.GZA
that list is horrible

1. 2Pac
2. Biggie
3-5 in any order (not saying that these guys are the BEST EVER) camron, 50, em, the game, fabolous

*personal opinion

Originally Posted by mossman75

Originally Posted by haiti5

what the hell since when is gza a top ten mc? ...i can name 15 at least better than him.

I'll Help you

1.Rakim
2.Nas
3.Big Daddy Kane
4.Kool G. Rap
5.KRS-One
6.Common
7.Pharoahe Monch
8.Redman
9.Black Thought
10.Scarface
11.Biggie
12.Slick Rick
13.Ice Cube
14.Ghostface
15.LL Cool J(early)

Slick Rick, Redman, LL Cool J, BDK?????? whoa did you forget Gza made an album called Liquid Swords. If we talking pure lyrical skill Gza overshadows athird of your list
I'm one of the biggest Wu heads on here, but that doesn't change the fact that they haven't made a good album in 10 years . . . At the current moment, I'd much rather hear what G Unit has to bring rather then some **$@ like 8 Diagrams . . .
whatttttttttt diiiiiiiiiiiiiii rasclaatt

I'm one of the biggest Wu heads on here, but that doesn't change the fact that they haven't made a good album in 10 years
"No Said Date" dropped in 04, but you already knew that being a Wu head & all.

Dude anyone who doesn't respect Gza's elite lyricism is not being honest with themselves. If you wanna say he doesnt have the best flow, or that theproduction on his albums has been erratic since Liquid Swords or that you personally prefer mindless music made behind catchy hooks and repetitive beats thenthose are all valid points, but to deny that the man is one of the top ten dead or alive with the pen is insane. His lyrics >>> Jay Z, Nas, Lupe andCommon, much less 50, Game, Fab etc.

50 and Jay Z on many occasions have admitted to consciously making music for the masses, 50 has admitted that the game is a better lyricist than him but notnear the song writer, and it is very true.

Rap has succeeded in going form a niche genre to controlling the airwaves, but by doing that they have went from Hip Hop to Hip Pop. Some people are ok withthat, others aren't.

I don't think Gza was trying to say that you shouldn't have rapper like Soulja Boy or Hurrican Chris or even thugged up versions of them like 50, butwhat he is saying is that it is unfair when A&R's ask for those type of songs and try to mold artists like Gza, Saigon etc into that mold and when theypromote the hell out of rappers like Nelly and a give guys like Little Brother little to no promotion, or Jay Z spends so much of Def Jam's money promotingKingdom Come and buying copies of it when Ghost and Meth both drop albums around that time, both guys are proven sellers, both albums were critically acclaimedand recieved better than KC, but neither of them were promoted well even in NY, and they were hardly promoted at all outside of NY.

"No Said Date" dropped in 04, but you already knew that being a Wu head & all.

RIFLogo2.jpg

Or have another person from Wu besides Ghost and Masta Killa make something decent . . . I love Wu but they haven't done #$#+ as a collective since 1997 . . . If they're so mad why don't they make a good album??

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I was in arush when I typed it . . . I meant to put they haven't made a good album "as a collective" in 10 years . . .

^ To me the W was a good album, if it was released by anyone other than the Wu, with songs like I can't go to sleep, careful, hollow bones, let my n'slive it wouldve been extremely well recepted.

And 8 diagrams was a helluva an album, but its like with Gza and Liquid Swords or Chef and OB4CL, when the orginal was so great people have expectations thatare too high, even if the quality is the same it isnt recieved as such because when you heard 36 it was a brand new sound, something raw and that you neverheard, they could release another 36 and you wouldnt like it as much. 8 diagrams > most any album this yr or last but since its Wu you think 8 diagrams isgonna re-invent the wheel. You let Jay Z or Lupe or Nas or Common drop tracks like Stick Me 4 My Riches, Windmill, Rushing Elephants, Campfire, Gun'll Go,weak Spot or take it back and people are on their balls, Wu does it and people are like, well George Clinton ruined Wolves and Starter is weak.

It is true that some solo joints have been off point, but the guys have commented on that, guys like Rza or Rae have tried to go in a new direction, tore-invent themselves and people aren't having, guys like Meth and ODB have/were been forced by their label to go to a more commercial style and regrettedit. Ghost has been the most consistent cat, and his style has evolved over the years in a way that the others I think ahve searched for but had a troublefinding a medium. But albums like Legend of the Liquid Sword, 4:21, Fishcale, Made in Brooklyn, Resident Patient and what not get overlooked while peoplecreate posts talkign about Joe Buddens weak punchlines.

Back
Top Bottom