Happy Dallas Mavericks Day Everybody! One year ago today, we shocked the world.

A scrubby, washed-up old PG, a shooter who wouldn't shut his mouth, and a big tall German beat the team that was supposed to start a dynasty. That team is trying to start that dynasty this year, but today's the anniversary of Dallas getting its first championship in franchise history.

Smoking-a-cigar-on-a-private-plane.jpg

what-the-dallas-mavericks-wore-sneakers-to-win-2011-nba-championship.jpg

115952428_crop_340x234.jpg

116585399_display_image.jpg

dallas-mavericks-tyson-chandler-dirk-nowitzki-with-the-mvp-championship-trophies.jpg

115949443_crop_650x440.jpg

mark-cuban-urinal-trophy.jpg

After such a rough year this past year has been, it saddens me that we didn't get to see if we could repeat. Season was over pretty much before it started. We had some flashes of some nice plays from some of the guys, but it was never cohesive like it was last year. JJ, Chandler, and Stevenson were sorely missed.

Much uncertainty surrounds the team still, as long-time cornerstone and key piece in winning a championship last year, Jason Terry, has potentially played his last game in a Dallas uniform, as has Jason Kidd. Does Deron Williams come to Dallas? Do the Mavericks try and get a consolation prize if they miss out? Who knows.

Regardless, it's the first championship in team history, hopefully it won't take another 30 years.

In about a week and a half, we'll have a new champion, and whoever it is absolutely deserves it, especially OKC after such a dominant performance of tough opponents, but let's give one last hurrah to these underdogs who everyone counted out.

#GoMavs .

Bro I swear to God I was about to bump our offseason thread with this.

Man I'm STILL celebrating after we took the broom and all.

We can sign Dwight and Deron and win the next three chips last year will always be special

Am I the only one that thinks this is one of the top championship teams of the past decade??? they got it going at the right time with all those great pieces and depth b. and that was with caron.
it sucks they were only together for 1 season, they could have definitely repeated this year.

Props to that squad.  They played tremendous basketball at just the right time.  With a little luck and help from the officials, a bunch of guys that paid their dues and deserved it got a championship.  But lets be honest, even if they had kept that same squad, the chances of them repeating was very small.  

I won't get into a back-and-forth between what could have been, or what couldn't have been, but we would've put up more of a fight against OKC, that's for sure.

Not having Tyson on defense to guard the paint, DeShawn to slow down at least one of their guys, and the penetration of JJ Barea definitely showed the difference between this year and last.

Originally Posted by ItsaBayThang

Props to that squad.  They played tremendous basketball at just the right time.  With a little luck and help from the officials, a bunch of guys that paid their dues and deserved it got a championship.  But lets be honest, even if they had kept that same squad, the chances of them repeating was very small.  
roll.gif

They swept the Lakers (actual defending champs, and more impressive than OKC beating the Lakers 4-1 this season), then beat OKC 4-1. Then were huge underdogs to Miami without home court, and won the title on the road. They were tied with Portland 2-2, then finished the playoffs on a 14-3 run. It takes a lot more than "help from the officials" to do that.

If we brought back that exact same team minus Corey Brewer and Caron but added Delonte we get out the East.

If you take the games Dirk played in last year the Mavs had the best record in the NBA and went 16-5 in the playoffs.

That was a borderline dominant run.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

roll.gif

They swept the Lakers (actual defending champs, and more impressive than OKC beating the Lakers 4-1 this season), then beat OKC 4-1. Then were huge underdogs to Miami without home court, and won the title on the road. They were tied with Portland 2-2, then finished the playoffs on a 14-3 run. It takes a lot more than "help from the officials" to do that.

Never said the refs handed them the championship.  They did have help from the officials against OKC and MIA.  But they still balled out.

roll.gif

Never said the refs handed them the championship.  They did have help from the officials against OKC and MIA.  But they still balled out.
Please explain. I'm not letting you off the hook here.

I'll give you Dirk's 24 free throw game, even though OKC post defenders put two hands on his back almost every time he backed down (automatic fouls, per the rules). And that's rich hearing how Dallas got calls against Miami. That's just not true. The Finals were actually well officiated, and of all the chatter about that series, the officiating is never brought up. I watched every game in the WCF and Finals. Dallas out-coached and outplayed an OKC team that wasn't ready (OKC fans will agree, at least the sane ones), and one that probably should have lost in the conference semis to Memphis.

One of the more impressive title runs in recent memory. Swept the defending champs without HCA & beat Bron & Wade without HCA coming back from late fourth quarter deficits in games 2, 4, and 5.

Hopefully for Cuban his Deron Williams gamble works out because that was a special group that he let go.

roll.gif

You got some nerve saying that Dallas had help against Miami after 2006 man...
laugh.gif

Mavs/Heat Finals ever happens again, I don't care if it's in 2064, I don't want to hear about FTs.

FTs cost us another championship.

The phantom fouls still haunt me.

18 FTA's for Wade in Game 3, 8 more as a team in a 2 point game.
25 FTA's for Wade in Game 5, 24 more as a team in a 9 point loss.
21 FTA's for Wade in Game 6, 14 more as a team in a 3 point loss.

We definitely made our mistakes, but those cot damn FT's.

tired.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

roll.gif

You got some nerve saying that Dallas had help against Miami after 2006 man...
laugh.gif

Mavs/Heat Finals ever happens again, I don't care if it's in 2064, I don't want to hear about FTs.

FTs cost us another championship.

The phantom fouls still haunt me.

18 FTA's for Wade in Game 3, 8 more as a team in a 2 point game.
25 FTA's for Wade in Game 5, 24 more as a team in a 9 point loss.
21 FTA's for Wade in Game 6, 14 more as a team in a 3 point loss.

We definitely made our mistakes, but those cot damn FT's.

tired.gif

David Stern owed Mark Cuban one fer 2006.  After they dismantled the Lakers, they got their push.      

dudes is corny

why would they let it go ? the mavs got shafted in 06. If they win in 06 they repeat in 07.

i loved this victory ...

Sign d will , and some other pieces then we could be back in the finals.

Originally Posted by TupacsBack

dudes is corny

why would they let it go ? the mavs got shafted in 06. If they win in 06 they repeat in 07.

i loved this victory ...

Sign d will , and some other pieces then we could be back in the finals.
It wouldn't have mattered if we won in 06, GSW still beats us in 07.

A different match-up? Probably make it back to the Finals. Our psyche was thrown off after losing in 06.

Don't feed the trolls. They can't accept the fact that Dallas just outplayed the last three teams they faced last year. And the whole ref thing? Really?

Dallas shot 7 more FTs that series than Miami. No NBA fan would consider that to be anything but even. There were two outlier games where one team out shot the other by at least 12. And guess what, the team that had more, lost each of those games (including Game 6, when Miami got a +15 FT parade to salvage their title hopes). It came down to MAKING FTs, and Dallas was almost 80% for the series, while Miami shot 70% (and a putrid 60% in the finale).

Still feel like giving credit to the refs? Didn't think so.

I was SO heated these guys demolished the Heat. but damn, Dirk really took out LeBron & Wade, Kobe & Gasol, Durant & Westbrook, Roy & Aldridge in rout to the chip.

Can't hate on that.

DeShawn Stevenson finally winning one for Soulja Boy. 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom