have you ever quit a job on the spot? any lasting consequences?

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

It is ok to quit a JOB...not a CAREER.  Trust me....I can vouch for this one.  Took me  a lot of hard work, swallowing of the pride, networking, and God to get me back on the right path. 

I have the pdf file separation file of how I bounced....

agree 100%

the only job I ever walked out on was when I was 16 and worked at Staples.  Me and my boy (who also worked there) wanted to go hang out with these girls and didnt wanna wait until after work so we both decided to call in sick (we were young and dumb).  Manager obviously knew we were friends, and knew that we were BSing.  She told us to come in and discuss it with her if we wanted to keep our jobs.  We went in, came clean (kinda sorta not really) and told her another excuse that it was my buddy's sister's engagement dinner that we both had to be at, and we forgot to schedule around it.  After a solid hour of discussing the situation (which included a lecture about profesionalism and also talk about how she had planned on giving both of us raises and a promotion to a shift lead position) we all walked out of her office feeling good.   The problem is, we had all completely misread each other.

We walk out of the office and me and my boy head to the door to leave.  Manager says where are you guys going?  We said, "to the engagement dinner".  She said, no I still need you guys to work.  We said "no can do, we have to go".  Then she dropped the "if you walk out that door dont bother coming back".  My pansy buddy just sat there lookin at the floor not saying a word.  It happened to be payday, and to avoid a second awkward moment later, I said "ok fine, but can I get my paycheck?"  Manager was livid as she literally threw our paychecks at us (well the floor), and then snatched our work shifts from our shoulders.

In hindsight it was a **** move, but I was young and dumb.  I would never do that now.  Hell, I dont even fake call in sick cause I respect my boss and company too much to do something juvenile like that.

It is ok to quit a JOB...not a CAREER.  Trust me....I can vouch for this one.  Took me  a lot of hard work, swallowing of the pride, networking, and God to get me back on the right path. 

i am surprised that sillyputty didnt say anything about this response

I handed in my 2 weeks like last thursday. Came into work today and they had my replacement, basically told me to go home and that I wasn't needed for the rest of the 2 weeks.

But anyways, if you've been there for 5.5 years, you should put in a 4 week notice.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

agree 100%

the only job I ever walked out on was when I was 16 and worked at Staples.  Me and my boy (who also worked there) wanted to go hang out with these girls and didnt wanna wait until after work so we both decided to call in sick (we were young and dumb).  Manager obviously knew we were friends, and knew that we were BSing.  She told us to come in and discuss it with her if we wanted to keep our jobs.  We went in, came clean (kinda sorta not really) and told her another excuse that it was my buddy's sister's engagement dinner that we both had to be at, and we forgot to schedule around it.  After a solid hour of discussing the situation (which included a lecture about profesionalism and also talk about how she had planned on giving both of us raises and a promotion to a shift lead position) we all walked out of her office feeling good.   The problem is, we had all completely misread each other.

We walk out of the office and me and my boy head to the door to leave.  Manager says where are you guys going?  We said, "to the engagement dinner".  She said, no I still need you guys to work.  We said "no can do, we have to go".  Then she dropped the "if you walk out that door dont bother coming back".  My pansy buddy just sat there lookin at the floor not saying a word.  It happened to be payday, and to avoid a second awkward moment later, I said "ok fine, but can I get my paycheck?"  Manager was livid as she literally threw our paychecks at us (well the floor), and then snatched our work shifts from our shoulders.

In hindsight it was a **** move, but I was young and dumb.  I would never do that now.  Hell, I dont even fake call in sick cause I respect my boss and company too much to do something juvenile like that.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom