Healthy men's products: shaving, showering, etc vol. spinoff

I had been researching this stuff a bit in an attempt to start getting into healthier habits overall. The deodorant thread and my new shaving kit (below) gotme to thinking what else I need to be switching up. Where better than NT to combine all this info into one place.

just picked up a $25 sample kit from these guys: (full kit is $100, very pricey but its supposed to last)

yes, the video and my 5 o'clock shadow sold me on this.

Going by category, what ingredients in what other products are also harmful or what ingredients should you be looking for? Almost everywebsite I Google is trying to sell me something so I can't always trust it. Contribute if you can please.

The deodorant thread basically covered that above all aluminum is a no-go. There are other ingredients that are debatable but just check that thread out andsee.

Shaving cream, pre-shave, after-shave

Hair gel

Body/Shower wash

Face wash

Shampoo/Conditioner

Toothpaste?

The other day I went into Bloomingdales and the guy demonstrated this Art of Shaving products. I was bout to buy the $125 kit, but I came to my senses. Idon't shave....but that's how good the product is. I have to use clippers b/c I get razor bumps....

I would never spend more than $15 on shaving products or skincare product. Any drugstore brand would be as good if not better than those high class products.If you have to spend more than $15 on skin care product to get the right result then you should blame on your genetic.

As far as shampoo. I just go with the one that fit my scalp type. For example if your scalp is dry, normal, oily or sensitive etc. Get the one that fit yourscalp type. Currently using Paul Mitchell tee tree shampoo and it's pretty refreshing for my oily scalp. I only shampoo twice a week though , i just rinsemy hair with water every other days. I dont use gel or hairspray

Toothpaste i just use Colgate and Listerine mouthwash

Originally Posted by KenJi714

I would never spend more than $15 on shaving products or skincare product. Any drugstore brand would be as good if not better than those high class products. If you have to spend more than $15 on skin care product to get the right result then you should blame on your genetic.

As far as shampoo. I just go with the one that fit my scalp type. For example if your scalp is dry, normal, oily or sensitive etc. Get the one that fit your scalp type. Currently using Paul Mitchell tee tree shampoo and it's pretty refreshing for my oily scalp. I only shampoo twice a week though , i just rinse my hair with water every other days. I dont use gel or hairspray

Toothpaste i just use Colgate and Listerine mouthwash

That's the least helpful advice i've seen on any topic ever.

Shampoo: Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Stuffs awesome. My barber recommended to me cause my scalp gets really dry in the winter. Kind of expensive but you dont needtoo much per shower so it still lasts.

laugh.gif
at using badger pubic hair to lather. jk.. Usually i put regularlotion on before i shave, and the best results i get are when i shave in the shower. other than that i dont care for grooming products or whatever, i was bornwith nice healthy skin.
pimp.gif

full kit is $100, very pricey but its supposed to last
It does last. It will last me at least a year at the rate I'm going. I will pick up their razor and stand by X-mas, didn't want to spendthe $300 now. For now I'm using their $7 plastic stand.
sym79z.jpg

For face wash, I get this green tea soap bar from a Korean shop. I use Dr. Brant Micro abrasion scrub every 3-4 days. Deodorant..not picky so I'm rollingwith the Old Spice Swagger scent.

Oh ,to the OP, I forget...there's a coupon inside the trial package so you get the $25 off if you decide to go with the full kit. A great offer IMO. Itried the sample kit first and was impressed at how slick the cream was. Went back a month later to get the full size.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

taking half an hour to shave is not where its at.
Takes less than 5 mins for me to pre oil, lather up, shave, and apply aftershave. It's the closets and best shave ever. I came from Gilletand Clinique stuff prior.

Originally Posted by wj4

Takes less than 5 mins for me to pre oil, lather up, shave, and apply aftershave. It's the closets and best shave ever. I came from Gillet and Clinique stuff prior.
if you go all the way and use one of those old style razors i think it takes a while

edit:
ohwell.gif
there's no coupon in my trial kit that I can see.

thanks for the info so far, going to look into Paul Mitchell.

also I hear alcohol-free hair gel is best, to avoid white flakes that look like dandruff

Originally Posted by daemacho

laugh.gif
at using badger pubic hair to lather. jk.. Usually i put regular lotion on before i shave, and the best results i get are when i shave in the shower. other than that i dont care for grooming products or whatever, i was born with nice healthy skin.
pimp.gif

I have to admit I've known about badger hair brushes for years and everytime I still think of this

no s

Originally Posted by wj4

Takes less than 5 mins for me to pre oil, lather up, shave, and apply aftershave. It's the closets and best shave ever. I came from Gillet and Clinique stuff prior.
if you go all the way and use one of those old style razors i think it takes a while
laugh.gif
Yeah. I talked to the dudes at the shop and they said aside from the hobby/novelty point of view, it doesn't make a diff. So with thatsaid, I'm sticking to the boring shaving utensil where I don't feel like I would cut myself, no switch blade for me.

I wonder if the information in the video can be applied to black males.

I tried that art of shaving stuff, skin was nice and smooth for the first day, but my neck and face still ended up looking like the back of a nestle crunchbar.
smh.gif
I just stick to clippers now, as I've tried just about everything.

I have a bunch of stuff from Khiel's (sp?), Art of Shaving, etc. but I don't even use it, I don't care enough to take the time. I just use theGillette fusion + Gillette fusion shaving cream and I'm good. I use a new blade every time I shave so I never have irritation or anything.

Apparently the best way to shave is actually with a straight razor.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

I have a bunch of stuff from Khiel's (sp?), Art of Shaving, etc. but I don't even use it, I don't care enough to take the time. I just use the Gillette fusion + Gillette fusion shaving cream and I'm good. I use a new blade every time I shave so I never have irritation or anything.

Apparently the best way to shave is actually with a straight razor.

eek.gif
fusion is about $3/blade

that's nuts

Originally Posted by H8MENOW

I wonder if the information in the video can be applied to black males.

I tried that art of shaving stuff, skin was nice and smooth for the first day, but my neck and face still ended up looking like the back of a nestle crunch bar.
smh.gif
I just stick to clippers now, as I've tried just about everything.

I have had a similar experience. I decided to try out a mach 3 razor to get that super close shave. The first day was great I could not stop touching my skinbut then the ingrown hairs began to appear on the second day.
frown.gif
Whoever invents a razor shaving method for black males will be a guaranteed millionaire.

Originally Posted by infamousod

I have to admit I've known about badger hair brushes for years and everytime I still think of this

no s
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

They just opened up an Art of Shaving store at Dadeland mall so I might look into getting that starter kit next time I go over there.
OP, what came with the kit you bought?

screw those shaving blades, they are just fusions with a different body. Ive already got the fusion just need that lotion and brush stuff.

Originally Posted by miamin2

Originally Posted by infamousod

no s
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

They just opened up an Art of Shaving store at Dadeland mall so I might look into getting that starter kit next time I go over there.
OP, what came with the kit you bought?

I literally just came from there, it's real nice. I bought it at Nordstrom at Dadeland and on my way out through the food court I noticed the store. Iasked and they have the same prices on everything but the people seem a lot more knowledgeable (lady at Nordstrom was good but was selling more than advising).

The kit has a sample size of the pre-shave oil, shave cream and after shave balm, plus a mini-badger hair brush, I'm using it tomorrow morning. it'sprobably worth it just for the brush which is perfect travel size, plus you can refill the small bottles to use them for travel too. they have the kits withthe metal stands and the fancy razors but it's just a gillette fusion with a nicer body, and those blades are expensive enough (I'm with you MateenCleaves).

Back
Top Bottom