Hey, a death by firing squad execution is taking place in the United States tonight.

I didnt think something like that still went on in the US.

They should let the victim's family and friends fire the shots

I had this convo in class regarding his choice of death. If thats how he wants to die and its legal whats the big deal? The dudes gonna die either way, why not let him die what ever way HE WANTS. Kanye shrug gif here

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN IN 2010?
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

and no streaming video?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 I know

[h1]Death-row inmate dies in a barrage of bullets
[/h1][h2]Utah firing squad executes man convicted of fatal 1985 courthouse shooting[/h2]

By JENNIFER DOBNER
APTRANS.gif

updated 22 minutes ago

SALT LAKE CITY - Death row inmate Ronnie Lee Gardner died in a barrage of bullets early Friday as Utah carried out its first firing squad execution in 14 years.

Shortly before the shooting, Gardner was strapped into a chair and a team of five marksmen aimed their guns at a white target pinned to his chest.

He was pronounced dead at 12:20 a.m.

Utah adopted lethal injection as the default execution method in 2004, but Gardner was one still allowed to choose the controversial firing squad option because he was sentenced before the law changed. He told his lawyer he did it because he preferred it — not because he wanted the controversy surrounding the execution to draw attention to his case or embarrass the state.

Some decried the execution as barbaric, and about two dozen members of Gardner's family held a vigil outside the prison as he was shot. There were no protests at the prison.

The executioners were all certified police officers who volunteered for the task and remain anonymous. They stood about 25 feet from Gardner, behind a wall cut with a gunport, and were armed with a matched set of .30-caliber Winchester rifles. One was loaded with a blank so no one knows who fired the fatal shot. Sandbags stacked behind Gardner's chair kept the bullets from ricocheting around the cinderblock room.

Gardner was sentenced to death for a 1985 capital murder conviction stemming from the fatal courthouse shooting of attorney Michael Burdell during a failed escape attempt. He was at the Salt Lake City court facing a 1984 murder charge in the shooting death of a bartender.

Originally Posted by IIcn

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Not only do I not understand why anyone would want to watch, I don't understand how someone would want to fire the shots.

I believe, in a modern day firing squad, some of the shooters have blank rounds (was on some type of Nat Geo show)... this way none really knows who fired the killing shot. I could be wrong tho..
Ya, there are always a few blank rounds added to the guns. And the shooters are randomly given the rifles. That way they can all tell themselves they weren't the ones who actually shot him.

If you had a choice why would you choose the firing line over possibly one of the best feelings in the world for 5 seconds?

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

If you had a choice why would you choose the firing line over possibly one of the best feelings in the world for 5 seconds?

Wat are u talking bout?

COME ON SON!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

One was loaded with a blank so no one knows who fired the fatal shot.
this doesn't make sense to me.
shouldn't it be that all but one were loaded with blanks?
Stupid chrome doesn't let me quote...
Gardner was already locked into the chair with six thick straps, including one that held his head upright against the chair, when a curtain opened to reveal the death chamber to nine media witnesses.

"I could see him moving his eyes," television reporter Sandra Yi said.

"He didn't look scared," radio talk show host Doug Fabrizio said.

The prison warden draped the black hood over Gardner's head. A small target was affixed by Velcro over his left breast.

The five executioners readied their weapons, only four of which were loaded with live ammunition.

At 12:15 a.m., the shots rang out.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_15325197?source=most_viewed

A toaster in the bathtub solves the financal cost of these crazy executions.....

I'm just sayin tho

hopefully states see this as a way to save money on executions.......but just so you guys know, its probably going to be 6 shooters, guns are loaded with one bullet by a person who is not shooting and cannot watch the execution, one gun is loaded with a blank.........so everyone can sleep at night thinking they could have been the one to not shoot the guy.....

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

It'd be a crime if I didn't use a bit of my education in this thread...

In Florida, they use the electric chair: The "executioner" is an anonymous citizen, hired by the DOCorrections, is paid ~$150 per execution and can they last as long as 2 mins.
sick.gif
smh.gif
12 volunteer citizens and 12 media representatives are the witnesses in the viewing room. Can't remember if family is allowed tho.

In Utah, there's no formal selection process... It's usually done by 5 officers with a mix of blanks & live ammo, all fire concentrating on the torso area.

Utah has been known to seek volunteers for their firing squads though.

Didn't Florida get rid of the chair?
I remember someone was about to be executed and there was a faulty wire that set the guy on fire, burning about 30% of his body.
After the chair was fixed, he was put to the chair again
smh.gif

Originally Posted by richyung412

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Wat are u talking bout?

COME ON SON!!!!!

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you.

Why do you think people constantly get addicted to heroin? It puts them in a euphoria. Now times that by 40 to the point where OD is imminent.

Its a very high dose of anesthesia and if you have ever been put out you know what I'm taking about when you wake up. Just watch David goes to the dentist.

Wow, gotta love a state that has religious doctrine determine how one is executed! How is that still possible?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

One was loaded with a blank so no one knows who fired the fatal shot.
this doesn't make sense to me.
shouldn't it be that all but one were loaded with blanks?
i thought this was it too....but think about it. one shot often won't kill you instantly. much smarter to use 5.

as for firing squad.....this is a pretty instant death. the death penalty itself is brutal, but this isn't a bad way to go out. i would MUCH rather get shot by a firing squad than do lethal injection, but that's just me. 

Back
Top Bottom