Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
People are hurting by staying home but no one talks about that. It’s either you want to stay at home until there’s a vaccine (which isn’t even a guarantee) or you’re selfish and endangering other people because you want to make a living and save your business/family from going under. That narrative needs to stop. (Not saying you’re pushing that narrative, certainly seems you aren’t)

This statement is especially true, not just with this disease, but society in general. Everything is so polarizing and you are forced to choose one side or another.
I don't know the situation where you're located, but am curious if you've attempted to try and find work in one of the industries deemed essential. In my area, companies are actually struggling to find employees because of how "generous" the unemployment situation is right now. I can't blame anyone who feels safer staying home making $1k+ per week, but also feel bad for companies who are losing out on production. I know someone who laid off an employee at the start of the pandemic, then recently attempted to rehire that person but was told that they planned to stay on unemployment until the end of July when Federal benefits run out. They reported that person to the unemployment department for refusing to accept employment, which will result in that person's benefits being eliminated. Who is to blame here? I can see both sides and feel empathy for everyone involved.

Thanks man. I‘m trying not to lose my mind entirely over this. Haven’t been able to work since March and 7 weeks after filing I still have nothing from UI and no way of contacting anyway for help. It’s extremely frustrating and not being able to provide for myself it’s taking its toll on me mentally and financially. My situation is probably still preferable to most but it’s still hard.

But the statistics, right now, tell me that I probably won’t end up in the ICU given my age and health status. I’m willing to take that risk to be able to work and make a living especially when I’m getting no help from the government. How is it fair to tell people who are getting no help from the government and can’t go to work that they need to stay home for the sake of other people? That’s ludicrous.

We do risk-benefit analysis all the time and always come up with some level of risk and death that we, as a society, are okay with. We get in our cars and drive everyday despite the 10s of thousands of fatalities from car accidents every year. We get on planes and fly across the world despite the possibility of it crashing. We have sex with strangers despite the chance of contracting an STD. The difference is WE get to choose for ourselves if we want to take these risks, not the government.

I also understand that a virus is different from the above scenarios. Again, I understand quarantine and why it was enacted to begin with and I’ve been in favor of it until recently when I began to look at raw numbers and facts instead of fear mongering MSM narratives and it changed my mind.

People are hurting by staying home but no one talks about that. It’s either you want to stay at home until there’s a vaccine (which isn’t even a guarantee) or you’re selfish and endangering other people because you want to make a living and save your business/family from going under. That narrative needs to stop. (Not saying you’re pushing that narrative, certainly seems you aren’t)
Well, I don't think it's realistic to wait until a vaccine arrives. Vaccines take historically a long time to make.

But prolonging the lockdown is the best answer for now.

Because what's going to happen is that if you open too soon, cases go up, and then they will have to shut down anyway.

Sticking to the shutdown is actually the quickest way to open up imo. Open up early and it's just going to be a cycle of opening and closing for an extended period of time.,and that'll hurt both the ppl who wanna open up and the ppl who want things closed.

So what does that tell me? It tells me that younger, relatively healthy people are probably safe to go back to work. It tells me that if you’re a high risk individual that you need to take more precautions to protect yourself. People in nursing homes, who are being hit hard already, need the most help.

I think there has to be a way to allow low risk individuals to get back into the world and contribute to the economy and allow them to re establish some type of normalcy while also taking precautions to safeguard more vulnerable populations. The idea of forcing EVERYONE into their homes, regardless of their risk status, and dictating what they can and can’t do rather than allow them a choice is becoming ridiculous in my eyes and certainly unsustainable, practically speaking.

All valid points that you made.

But like someone mentioned in replying to you, this generalization that "younger, relatively healthy people are probably safe to go back to work" is too broad and sweeping. How can anyone outside of a medical professional go about declaring themselves X-degree of healthy to go out in the world and back to normalcy?

People have health conditions that they aren't even aware of in a lot of cases. Health conditions that could be exacerbated by Covid and result in death. That is not a risk worth taking and despite the financial calamity it could cause should the quarantine continue--- which would you choose if faced with the option--- Financial ruin or paying the ultimate price of your life on earth, forever?

Trust me when I say that I fully appreciate the need for people to get back to work. But outside of actual dollars being lost, we are literally talking about potentially paying the ultimate cost if a bunch of allegedly healthy young people deem themselves good to go back to work all at once.

Also when you say "dictating what they can and can't do rather than allow them a choice is becoming ridiculous..." you almost make it sound as if the whole quarantine is this arbitrary and oppressive order. Is it clear to you that that is definitely not what it is?

Obviously as you said it's not sustainable, but at least for the next few months it serves a logical purpose and a slow and methodical easing of the stay at home orders seems the most sensible course of action considering that not doing so could result in death for some people.

Lastly, you're saying that there is a way to let these "low risk" individuals go back to work while also taking precautions. There is but that way isn't perfect and people are violently fighting and protesting it. There is a segment of the population that is outright refusing to wear masks and take precautions, so because of them there is no safe way to do this for the simple fact that an alarmingly high number of people in this country are f-ing stupid.

-newly signed Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Florida Man has already begun assimilating into state culture, introducing a new line of ¨immunity¨ supplements through his website with very convenient timing.

You know what? I'm really tired of Brady getting a pass for literally everything. If Lebron was selling that BS, they'd KILL HIM in the media and they wouldn't let it go until he paid a severe penalty.

This isn't the first time Brady has sold bogus products or pseudo-science related garbage via his TB 12 brand. He also sold (sells) infrared healing pajamas and sheets that he claims will aid in muscle recovery among other things.

We need to hold that idiot accountable.

Last edited:
older lady at the grocery store tapped me on the hand asking me to help grab something off the top shelf. almost had a panic attack when she touched me :lol: :smh: i ended up grabbing the item and moved on
also, just an observation...seems like a majority of the younger folks in the neighborhood aren't even bothering with masks or social distancing. got folks using closed off areas of the park to do their exercises and using it as their personal gym

Last edited:
The way I see it, it's like a parent grounding ten kids in a house until they all lose 25 pounds. They could all leave the house in a month if they all stick to a diet. But because half of those kids are only half heartedly following the diet they have to stay grounded for longer.

If the kids were all faithful to their diet then after a month none of them are grounded. But since the other kids who are complaining are constantly cheating on their meals, everyone has to suffer for longer.

Not a perfect analogy, especially since a parent shouldn't ground a child for such a thing anyway, but it's the only thing I can think of. Lol

Thanks man. I‘m trying not to lose my mind entirely over this. Haven’t been able to work since March and 7 weeks after filing I still have nothing from UI and no way of contacting anyway for help. It’s extremely frustrating and not being able to provide for myself it’s taking its toll on me mentally and financially. My situation is probably still preferable to most but it’s still hard.

But the statistics, right now, tell me that I probably won’t end up in the ICU given my age and health status. I’m willing to take that risk to be able to work and make a living especially when I’m getting no help from the government. How is it fair to tell people who are getting no help from the government and can’t go to work that they need to stay home for the sake of other people? That’s ludicrous.

We do risk-benefit analysis all the time and always come up with some level of risk and death that we, as a society, are okay with. We get in our cars and drive everyday despite the 10s of thousands of fatalities from car accidents every year. We get on planes and fly across the world despite the possibility of it crashing. We have sex with strangers despite the chance of contracting an STD. The difference is WE get to choose for ourselves if we want to take these risks, not the government.

I also understand that a virus is different from the above scenarios. Again, I understand quarantine and why it was enacted to begin with and I’ve been in favor of it until recently when I began to look at raw numbers and facts instead of fear mongering MSM narratives and it changed my mind.

First, like others said, you're being reasonable and trying to find the right balance, which I think is as much anyone can ask of anyone else.

There are a couple points that I wanted to bring up. One is that it's ok if you're young and healthy because your risk is low. We're in the 3rd month of Covid-19 and still this type of thinking persists. It is completely reasonable and intuitive. Like you point out, we take on the risk of many others things in life using the same approach. I hang from the rim in basketball knowing I'm not going to break a hip on the way down. Someone 80 years old may not want to take that risk.

But, as you say, this is different. This virus is not intuitive. Our only natural intuition is to avoid sick people, but we can't do that with this virus, because people spread it before they are symptomatic. It's also a dangerous game to say that all young people can get it but we will protect the old. The jury is out on this. Why? Because we can't avoid old people. They interact with healthcare workers. They need food, which either means they have to leave the house or someone has to bring it to them. They need human contact and are prone to loneliness and depression even more than we are. And all it takes is one lapse, one break in this invisible wall we want to put up between old people and the rest of us, and now they're compromised. Sure, we can do our best, and that's better than nothing, but the best measure we have is to reduce the overall viral burden in the society. This means reducing the number of people who are infected, whether young or old, healthy or not.

Now, I understand that we are sacrificing a lot in terms of finances and social activities, and it is not at all unreasonable to strike a balance between maintaining those and losing some people. And, as a nation, we have made it pretty clear that we're not capable (ready? mature?) of doing what South Korea or Taiwan is doing, so complete containment is not an option. So we must find the right balance that we can tolerate. But we have to acknowledge one fact: that we are ok with people dying. And we have to acknowledge a second fact: that, no matter what strategy we choose, we are going to exact a toll on society, whether through lost jobs, lose lives, or lifestyle changes. Those two facts are inevitable. And this is where government is supposed to step in, but that's a different story for now.

Another point -- you bring up "the narrative." Sadly we have seen a lot of problems going in both directions with this, but we've also seen the opposite. We've seen people say we're being hysterical when we said this is more dangerous than the flu, that it would spread to millions in a few weeks, that it could cause weird and deadly syndromes in children and in healthy people, etc etc. We've seen some questionable reporting of deaths and cases by states and countries in order to hide just how bad the pandemic is for them. And some of the worry, for example NYC running out of hospital beds, was avoided only because people worried. So it's been a two-way street. The answer is we need to all be a bit more measured, we need to take things with a grain of salt and not jump on the first shocking case report we read about. At this point in the game, we have a fairly good idea of what this virus is and where we are headed.

The way I see it, it's like a parent grounding ten kids in a house until they all lose 25 pounds. They could all leave the house in a month if they all stick to a diet. But because half of those kids are only half heartedly following the diet they have to stay grounded for longer.

If the kids were all faithful to their diet then after a month none of them are grounded. But since the other kids who are complaining are constantly cheating on their meals, everyone has to suffer for longer.

Not a perfect analogy, especially since a parent shouldn't ground a child for such a thing anyway, but it's the only thing I can think of. Lol

That's a terrible analogy because it likens the quarantine to punishment, which it is not, and never has been.

First, like others said, you're being reasonable and trying to find the right balance, which I think is as much anyone can ask of anyone else.

There are a couple points that I wanted to bring up. One is that it's ok if you're young and healthy because your risk is low. We're in the 3rd month of Covid-19 and still this type of thinking persists. It is completely reasonable and intuitive. Like you point out, we take on the risk of many others things in life using the same approach. I hang from the rim in basketball knowing I'm not going to break a hip on the way done. Someone 80 years old may not want to take that risk.

But, as you say, this is different. This virus is not intuitive. Our only natural intuition is to avoid sick people, but we can't do that with this virus, because people spread it before they are symptomatic. It's also a dangerous game to say that all young people can get it but we will protect the old. The jury is out on this. Why? Because we can't avoid old people. They interact with healthcare workers. They need food, which either means they have to leave the house or someone has to bring it to them. They need human contact and are prone to loneliness and depression even more than we are. And all it takes is one lapse, one break in this invisible wall we want to put up between old people and the rest of us, and now they're compromised. Sure, we can do our best, and that's better than nothing, but the best measure we have is to reduce the overall viral burden in the society. This means reducing the number of people who are infected, whether young or old, healthy or not.

Now, I understand that we are sacrificing a lot in terms of finances and social activities, and it is not at all unreasonable to strike a balance between maintaining those and losing some people. And, as a nation, we have made it pretty clear that we're not capable (ready? mature?) of doing what South Korea or Taiwan is doing, so complete containment is not an option. So we must find the right balance that we can tolerate. But we have to acknowledge one fact: that we are ok with people dying. And we have to acknowledge a second fact: that, no matter what strategy we choose, we are going to exact a toll on society, whether through lost jobs, lose lives, or lifestyle changes. Those two facts are inevitable. And this is where government is supposed to step in, but that's a different story for now.

Another point -- you bring up "the narrative." Sadly we have seen a lot of problems going in both directions with this, but we've also seen the opposite. We've seen people say we're being hysterical when we said this is more dangerous than the flu, that it would spread to millions in a few weeks, that it could cause weird and deadly syndromes in children and in healthy people, etc etc. We've seen some questionable reporting of deaths and cases by states and countries in order to hide just how bad the pandemic is for them. And some of the worry, for example NYC running out of hospital beds, was avoided only because people worried. So it's been a two-way street. The answer is we need to all be a bit more measured, we need to take things with a grain of salt and not jump on the first shocking case report we read about. At this point in the game, we have a fairly good idea of what this virus is and where we are headed.

I wish I knew that feeling.....to Hang FromThe Rim

Thats a terrible analogy because it likens the quarantine to punishment, which it is not, and never has been.
Definitely, a quarantine is not a punishment.

What I was trying to point out is that the ppl complaining about quarantine are probably the ones least faithful to hygiene guidelines, mask wearing and social distancing, and adding to the lockdown as opposed to helping us work towards lifting it.

Fair point. But I’d go back even more years. The rise of Political Correctness and Outrage Culture have just created overly sensitive and ill mannered people.
But manners and codes of conduct better learned within family and social structures that reinforce Right/Wrong and Decency. Not through more rules and regulations with no effectiveness in enforcement. And most certainly not dismantling and misunderstanding the fundamental basics of our way of Life.

I cant believe this is posted on niketalk
Thank you for speaking the truth

Political Correctness is a cancer to american society and has been way before coronavirus

But I don't want to get off topic of the post.
I just want to say thanks for posting your feelings

Antonio Banderas' Laptop Reaction | Know Your Meme

hell yeah all this good faith debate, ¨what you say makes sense but consider this,¨ ¨I see it from your point of view but here´s how my experience differs,¨ ¨thank you for posting¨...social distance, societal proximity. dig it.

Back
Top Bottom