Hideki Irabu dead at 42

He deserves his own thread, R.I.P. to the big guy. 42 is too young, but suicide is suspected. 
Former professional baseball pitcher Hideki Irabu was found dead at his California home Wednesday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Homicide detectives and representatives from the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office determined that he committed suicide, Sgt. Diane Hecht said, but did not know the method he used.

4sha4l.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/28/former.pitcher.suicide/index.html

Damn
tired.gif

Reminds me of an article the Times had on Kei Igawa a couple weeks ao, the pitcher the yankees signed years back and flamed out.  Dude still pitches in the minor leagues in Trenton for the Yankees.  If anyone has a Times subscription I'd reccomend reading the article, shows the alienation that these foreign athletes often go through.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Damn
tired.gif

Reminds me of an article the Times had on Kei Igawa a couple weeks ao, the pitcher the yankees signed years back and flamed out.  Dude still pitches in the minor leagues in Trenton for the Yankees.  If anyone has a Times subscription I'd reccomend reading the article, shows the alienation that these foreign athletes often go through.

Caught it the other day....GREAT read...and sad, too.

Link

RIP to Irabu....

RIP

Major League Baseball should set up a psychological study to see the effects of moving to a foreign land has on international players. He had Pedro in his prime numbers in Japan but didn't meet expectations in the slightest in the States.

Originally Posted by Furrell

RIP

Major League Baseball should set up a psychological study to see the effects of moving to a foreign land has on international players. He had Pedro in his prime numbers in Japan but didn't meet expectations in the slightest in the States.
Interestingly enough, Pedro Martinez moved here from the DR and did pretty well...

seppuku?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

RIP

Interestingly enough, Pedro Martinez moved here from the DR and did pretty well...

seppuku?
More than likely a hanging related suicide so yes.

RIP

Big difference between Latin and Asian players though.  There are prolly a dozen guys on every MLB team who speak spanish, plus this country is filled with Latin Americans not the same for the Asian athletes.

Damn
tired.gif

Thanks for the article reference; without reading it, I can see how tough the adjustment is for foreign athletes especially those who have a tough time with the language and culture barrier here.

RIP

Big difference between Latin and Asian players though.  There are prolly a dozen guys on every MLB team who speak spanish, plus this country is filled with Latin Americans not the same for the Asian athletes.
True, but there are a bunch of Asians who have been successful. I'm sure it's tougher, but many people relocate for work.

SHOCKER!! I saw him at Marshalls Torrance, CA with his wife late last year/early this year??? I bought a Nike Yankees baseball jacket and as I was leaving the checkout, I thought it was him. So I went up to him and asked if it was him, and he said politely acknowledged yes. I showed him the Yankees jacket I bought and said I was a fan. Shook his hand, he smiled and said thank you. Seemed like a quiet, polite guy. DAMN. RIP.

heard he lived nearby in Palos Verdes (wealthy area) and had a dui in Gardena...

Back
Top Bottom