Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Currently in 3rd month past original timeline for my new construction condo in NYC, short term apartment renewal charge killing me ...
Can truly say I will never purchase new construction again in the city with delays and closing costs around 5% (lawd)
Yeah closing costs always going to be rough because you’re paying both sides of the transfer taxes on new construction.

I’m in the market for a house

Any sites that can get me info on certain neighborhoods or towns... Like crimes and other useful info?

Use trulia crime map and city data fourm

Take what you read on city data with a grain of salt as some peoples idea of a rough neighborhood might be different then yours.

7A7C67F0-F4C8-4339-AB1A-B8CED61DB56F.jpeg
64BDCBFE-278F-4314-B542-746B2269AD67.jpeg
4A8CD070-ACB6-41B0-B41D-EA977B6718AE.jpeg
6820B23A-A664-412A-AFE6-78DCD40D9867.jpeg
30B06B29-FCD3-461D-9DA3-4CA00F95147D.jpeg
3E0A0260-9B72-47C1-84EB-383D9A5E6161.jpeg
E12FAC9E-7C1F-4D51-9324-D1FB6C66CD33.jpeg
C484103C-2425-4D4C-9A7E-C377B9AF2235.jpeg
B1A10048-409D-4D28-8595-63B9C7B4466D.jpeg
Just closed on my newest project... I’ve done 4 projects in this neighborhood already and i just love everything about this area. It’s a 3 bed/2 bath with a view. My plans are to add a 4th bedroom and to add an accordion style patio door that opens up the view and for that indoor/outdoor feel.

Have you bought a house with a lot of mold damage yet? Anything special I should look into besides getting quotes from mitigation companies?

So just did an inspection on a house that I'm looking to buy. They found 3 small termite dunes or something like outside around the house.

How do I know if any has gotten into the house? Should I still buy or back out?

Shouldn't your inspector be able to check for any termite damage and if there is have the home owners said how much they will be putting towards that?

Pulled out our latest offer for the house as the sellers did not want to pay any closing costs, not only did we have to gut the house and pay for renovations, they didn't want to pay closing, so we just said eff it lets keep looking.

So just did an inspection on a house that I'm looking to buy. They found 3 small termite dunes or something like outside around the house.

How do I know if any has gotten into the house? Should I still buy or back out?

Part of your inspections should have been a pest inspection

if their are 3 dunes it is essential you have this done as this can be something you can ask the seller to fix or work with you on fixing if they are indeed in the house

Termites are here to stay.

Even when you fumigate there’s a chance they come right back.

My neighbors have a dilapidated house and i get their swarmers smh

A few upgrade questions

I don't plan on doing a whole take everything out and throw new things in, just a few repainting works
and take out some old out dated fans

But can I get some tips as what could be done to the kitchen to make it more modern

18e04a70470892e6a6934ff3b0a0beadl-m5xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Here's the original

Any ideas that can give it a more modern look without spending to much

I was going to paint the cabinets a darker grey color add a backsplash change the counter top to a greyish marble look
and swap out that floor tile too a white

The living room is even more outdated so maybe you could give some tips on it as well
18e04a70470892e6a6934ff3b0a0beadl-m2xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Last edited:
A few upgrade questions

I don't plan on doing a whole take everything out and throw new things in, just a few repainting works
and take out some old out dated fans

But can I get some tips as what could be done to the kitchen to make it more modern

18e04a70470892e6a6934ff3b0a0beadl-m5xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Here's the original

Any ideas that can give it a more modern look without spending to much

I was going to paint the cabinets a darker grey color add a backsplash change the counter top to a greyish marble look
and swap out that floor tile too a white

The living room is even more outdated so maybe you could give some tips on it as well
18e04a70470892e6a6934ff3b0a0beadl-m2xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
House looks like it's a split foyer...I would do engineered hardwoods on that entire level. Could do carpet in bedrooms to be cost effective. Paint entire level a light grey with white trim. In kitchen, paint the cabinets and add hardware. Granite counters and add a backsplash.

Greatly appreciate the tips

Edit:
Would Hard wood floors make the living room look more spacious compared to the carpet look

Last edited:
I would def use hardwood throughout, if you want more spacious look dont go too dark on the flooring.

With that said bros, I was in escrow, 30 day close $480,000 property ... we had the inspection yesterday and wow ... termite damage on the roof , ok we can get that fix but once our inspector went under the house the termites are literally all over the place, not to mention foundation issues ... galvanized piping mixed with copper wtf

Decided to pull our offer and take a break, **** is so draining ... its not meant to be right now

I would def use hardwood throughout, if you want more spacious look dont go too dark on the flooring.

With that said bros, I was in escrow, 30 day close $480,000 property ... we had the inspection yesterday and wow ... termite damage on the roof , ok we can get that fix but once our inspector went under the house the termites are literally all over the place, not to mention foundation issues ... galvanized piping mixed with copper wtf

Decided to pull our offer and take a break, **** is so draining ... its not meant to be right now

Don’t let it deter you, bro.

Termites are an issue everywhere and I believe in California you’re no longer required to tent as a seller.

Ask for the tenting, closing costs and 2-3k off for copper repipe.

You can also repipe in pex (plastic)

Foundations are scary but companies that bolt can help with that for under 10k. Ask for the disco on the selling price in the form of credits. $465-470k is a steal in Los Angeles county at the moment

Yeah the termites were fixable but the overall foundation issues , i had someone on hand to give me a quote on all the fixes and it was going to be $20-30k

The showers itself were close to collapsing through the floor and couldnt even access the other bathroom due to all the damage.

As a first time homebuyer, I had to pass.

Yeah the termites were fixable but the overall foundation issues , i had someone on hand to give me a quote on all the fixes and it was going to be $20-30k

The showers itself were close to collapsing through the floor and couldnt even access the other bathroom due to all the damage.

I feel you. It’s tough.

If you have time...see if you can grab a complete dump for 250-300k and make it your own for another 100k in rehab.

I feel you. It’s tough.

If you have time...see if you can grab a complete dump for 250-300k and make it your own for another 100k in rehab.

Bra this cali we talking bout, aint no dumps for 250-300 unless your in central valley

I feel you man, I had the same thing happen to me seller wanted no parts of fixing the issue and didnt want to negotiate price so I walked away frustrated. Just remember their is always something else out their.

I am actually interested to see how Trumps new trade war is going to affect the economy as a whole. Last time they said we were in one we had the great depression. I pray that doesnt happen

Bra this cali we talking bout, aint no dumps for 250-300 unless your in central valley

I feel you man, I had the same thing happen to me seller wanted no parts of fixing the issue and didnt want to negotiate price so I walked away frustrated. Just remember their is always something else out their.

I am actually interested to see how Trumps new trade war is going to affect the economy as a whole. Last time they said we were in one we had the great depression. I pray that doesnt happen

It’s horrible. All the homes IM looking at are 600-700k with the same 1970s decor. Smh.

The 200k-300k dumps are in the hood but if you follow the metro you can come up on a nice property in the hood that will gentrify in a few years.

I had a realtor try to convince me that Hyde park was leimert park because leimert parks values are skyrocketing

It’s horrible. All the homes IM looking at are 600-700k with the same 1970s decor. Smh.

The 200k-300k dumps are in the hood but if you follow the metro you can come up on a nice property in the hood that will gentrify in a few years.

I had a realtor try to convince me that Hyde park was leimert park because leimert parks values are skyrocketing

Gentrification applies to some but not all parts of the city. All of New york did not gentrify at the same time it takes time and even then some parts they dont even bother trying to get into. Same thing with LA and the bay area. Not all hoods are full of tenants a big number of our grandparents generation actually owned those homes

It definitely takes time. Restaurants moving into certain areas is generally a good indicator around here (Baltimore).

Gentrification applies to some but not all parts of the city. All of New york did not gentrify at the same time it takes time and even then some parts they dont even bother trying to get into. Same thing with LA and the bay area. Not all hoods are full of tenants a big number of our grandparents generation actually owned those homes

Inglewood, leimert, view park/Windsor hills has been booming. My area (west Adams) replaced a kfc with a Starbucks in 30s hood....usc, white flight back to the city, Korean $$$ and the rams is speeding up the process in my part.

I was in east la last weekend and Boyle
Heights is completely displaced from what I remember when I went to school out there.

A lot of old folks on my block are the ones taking off cause they’re being offered 900k plus on a house they own outright. I’ve been offered 850k for my spot but I’m holding out for more until I find a spot so I can roll profits into it and save on taxes.

I feel it, im still looking for my own spot just lost another offer smh Bay living sucks

Back
Top Bottom