Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Yep Toja Grid!
I just received my Toja Grid kit. How was the install? My neighbor had issues fitting his 4x4s in but he painted them before putting the brackets. And he put it on there thick :lol:

I will probably be building it in a week or so, I just have to tear down the old crappy one that came with the house.

I’ve found success with lower rates by shopping around for rates with a mortgage broker or doing the DD myself and calling credit unions. Rates usually land near or at 2.75% with credit unions rather than the big banks. It seems like they’re fluctuating under 3 for the foreseeable future with the Fed doing their thing.

I’ve found success with lower rates by shopping around for rates with a mortgage broker or doing the DD myself and calling credit unions. Rates usually land near or at 2.75% with credit unions rather than the big banks. It seems like they’re fluctuating under 3 for the foreseeable future with the Fed doing their thing.
What does a broker normally charge?

I’m not sure, my mortgage broker experience had the lender pay the broker. I’m assuming it’s a commission percentage or a flat fee, but I don’t know the specifics. As usual, shop around. I didn’t see a charge on my side of things when I closed so I felt like I reaped the benefits, but I’m sure they’re taxing me in there somewhere, no free lunches :lol:

got quoted at 3.25% for a 30... cross country mortgage... just needed them to produce a pre-approval for me to shop, then. zip zip, I'm finding someone else

I just received my Toja Grid kit. How was the install? My neighbor had issues fitting his 4x4s in but he painted them before putting the brackets. And he put it on there thick :lol:

I will probably be building it in a week or so, I just have to tear down the old crappy one that came with the house.

Did he use Pressure Treated? if so, it was probably still wet and swollen. Due to the demand, PT is showing up to the store days after after treatment vs months before the pandemic. Also you need different brackets for Rough Cut lumber, if that’s used.

Our install was on an elevated deck, so it was a lil nerve racking because my wife has no upper body strength. Used Cedar since its rot and insect resistant. Got it home cut into it and the center was still wet

I suggest taking the brackets to the store to test figment and wouldn’t use wet lumber or you will want let it dry.

I’m not sure, my mortgage broker experience had the lender pay the broker. I’m assuming it’s a commission percentage or a flat fee, but I don’t know the specifics. As usual, shop around. I didn’t see a charge on my side of things when I closed so I felt like I reaped the benefits, but I’m sure they’re taxing me in there somewhere, no free lunches :lol:

This was my experience. My tax guy was confused, he was looking for all sorts of fees and fees were lower. He asked how did they broker get paid?

Any sites that I can use to get a good idea of closing costs? Or is this something that I won't get a good idea about until actually getting ready to buy? I know it'll vary by state

Just looked at two and one was twice as much as the first I checked. I'm going to buy a condo in NYC sometime this year or next

Lookin into tapping into some of this equity with a cash out refi. anyone here done it, what’s the process like? Any good recommendations as far as banks to contact? Thanks…

Any sites that I can use to get a good idea of closing costs? Or is this something that I won't get a good idea about until actually getting ready to buy? I know it'll vary by state

Just looked at two and one was twice as much as the first I checked. I'm going to buy a condo in NYC sometime this year or next
General rule is to plan for 2-5% of the home value. Ours came closer to 2% but you truly do not know until you start getting loan estimates from the mortgage company.

For home insurance is there a reason the deductible is at 1% and not a set price of $1,000, $2,000 etc?

The builder has increased the base price of our home by 100k since we signed the contract a year ago. That doesn’t include required options and lot premium. It cost us another 100k to get the lot and options we wanted.

Definitely getting the house reappraised next year to hopefully get PMI taken off.

anybody invest in real estate here?
I’ve been looking into real estate investment groups (REIG). Specifically Fundrise. Ideally I’d prefer to have my own rental property but don’t see myself raising the capital any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom