Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

turbospartan turbospartan oh the ball is in your court - tell them F off or negotiate since you sold so fast

Yea thats kind of how I am feeling. I expected to give up some concessions, but that was kind of obscene. Their buyer couldn't even come up with the calculations of how they arrived at the $15k (on top of me fixing everything).

I have the roofing contractor who installed the roof in 2013 coming tomorrow to do his own inspection, and to confirm that if it does need replacing - if insurance might cover it.

Some of the items on their list were "wants" more than "needs", and I also had a 2nd offer. That 2nd offer buyer is coming by Friday to do another viewing of the house, to see if they are still interested.

Yea thats kind of how I am feeling. I expected to give up some concessions, but that was kind of obscene. Their buyer couldn't even come up with the calculations of how they arrived at the $15k (on top of me fixing everything).

I have the roofing contractor who installed the roof in 2013 coming tomorrow to do his own inspection, and to confirm that if it does need replacing - if insurance might cover it.

Some of the items on their list were "wants" more than "needs", and I also had a 2nd offer. That 2nd offer buyer is coming by Friday to do another viewing of the house, to see if they are still interested.

Yeah you are good then fam

Bought a ”beach house” last year and I am AirBnb’ing it In between my family’s trips there. County has a ”no short term rental” policy but only enforces this if someone calls county to complain. There are literally hundreds of short terms there that have operated for years without issue.

First month we rent it out and a neighbor complains. County tells us we have to change the listing online to a “90 Day Minimum“ and work it out with the neighbor. Plan is to change listing online to say “90 Day Minimum“ but continue to accept short term. Have also spoken to neighbor and assured here nobody in that house would be bothering her. Her house is a quarter mile away in back of neighborhood far from beach. She said she has not had issues with anyone in the house, but has a problem with us running short term in neighborhood. In the midst of this all, we discover that she is running a retail plant nursery out of her home and yard which is just as much of a violation as a short term. The night after we updated the listing to say “90 Day Minimum“ she emailed us to point out that the website was still allowing her to book it for less. There are several other short terms in the same neighborhood but am getting the feeling she isn’t going to back down.

Anyone dealt with something like this before? At which point do we go all scorched earth on her? Don’t need to rent it out to keep it, but like the extra cash.

What is the concession for in the first place if they’re asking you to repair things AND put on a new roof?

Requesting all 3 from you just sounds like they don’t actually want the place.

What is the concession for in the first place if they’re asking you to repair things AND put on a new roof?

Requesting all 3 from you just sounds like they don’t actually want the place.

They threw in all kinds of ****, based on the inspection report. The big ones were having an electrician re-do some **** upstairs (older house with aluminum wiring, but entire basement was completely remodeled down to the concrete a few years ago after water damage insurance claim) for $2700, they want $3k to re-do the deck themselves, $2600 to have a mud-jacker fix the uneven concrete, $1700 radon mitigation system, $1k for a new "fire proof" door to the garage, $2800 to re-do some siding that is rotted, etc.

Again, I was expecting some concessions but this is like them wanting the house to be completely brand new. Of which, they can go find a non-50-year-old house for $150-200k more with all of that **** already fixed.

Bought a ”beach house” last year and I am AirBnb’ing it In between my family’s trips there. County has a ”no short term rental” policy but only enforces this if someone calls county to complain. There are literally hundreds of short terms there that have operated for years without issue.

First month we rent it out and a neighbor complains. County tells us we have to change the listing online to a “90 Day Minimum“ and work it out with the neighbor. Plan is to change listing online to say “90 Day Minimum“ but continue to accept short term. Have also spoken to neighbor and assured here nobody in that house would be bothering her. Her house is a quarter mile away in back of neighborhood far from beach. She said she has not had issues with anyone in the house, but has a problem with us running short term in neighborhood. In the midst of this all, we discover that she is running a retail plant nursery out of her home and yard which is just as much of a violation as a short term. The night after we updated the listing to say “90 Day Minimum“ she emailed us to point out that the website was still allowing her to book it for less. There are several other short terms in the same neighborhood but am getting the feeling she isn’t going to back down.

Anyone dealt with something like this before? At which point do we go all scorched earth on her? Don’t need to rent it out to keep it, but like the extra cash.

Why not just have another conversation with her and bring up the nursery. Beyond that there’s not much you can do if she’s vehemently opposed to you renting it out short term.

High 500's. They went $10k over asking. The back up offer was at asking, and the most they could counter (before I accepted the first offer) was $5k over asking.

Lol I've seen this before. Offer above asking, get the house under contract, then nickel and dime your way back under asking.

Try to find middle ground or see if your back up offer is cool with house as is. Maybe offer 10K in seller credits max (to second buyer), that puts you at roughly the same number as first offer without having to do the roof and all that extra ****.

Last edited:
Lol I've seen this before. Offer above asking, get the house under contract, them nickel and dime your way back under asking.

Try to find middle ground or see if your back up offer is cool with house as is. Maybe offer 10K in seller credits max (to second buyer), that puts you at roughly the same number as first offer without having to do the roof and all that extra ****.
Yep, kinda annoying if u ask me

They threw in all kinds of ****, based on the inspection report. The big ones were having an electrician re-do some **** upstairs (older house with aluminum wiring, but entire basement was completely remodeled down to the concrete a few years ago after water damage insurance claim) for $2700, they want $3k to re-do the deck themselves, $2600 to have a mud-jacker fix the uneven concrete, $1700 radon mitigation system, $1k for a new "fire proof" door to the garage, $2800 to re-do some siding that is rotted, etc.

Again, I was expecting some concessions but this is like them wanting the house to be completely brand new. Of which, they can go find a non-50-year-old house for $150-200k more with all of that **** already fixed.
Yeah I would say "nah" :lol:. I'm in NC and when I sold at end of 2021 the market was still crazy and received 12 offers in 1.5 days. Here (not sure if it's the same in other states) people were giving due diligence $$$ up front with their offers and the sellers get to keep that no matter what, unless the seller backs out. This buyer was asking me to do all these extra repairs...just said no bc I knew they wouldn't back out bc of all of the $$ I received and they wouldn't get back :lol:

Lol I've seen this before. Offer above asking, get the house under contract, then nickel and dime your way back under asking.

Yea I kinda had a feeling they were gonna be drama right from the jump. They were dead set on their timing, wanted immediate possession on closing with no option of rent back, etc. Had my agent even reach out to theirs multiple times and he told us "No shenanigans". Look at us now.

Yea I kinda had a feeling they were gonna be drama right from the jump. They were dead set on their timing, wanted immediate possession on closing with no option of rent back, etc. Had my agent even reach out to theirs multiple times and he told us "No shenanigans". Look at us now.

Seems like their realtor wouldn’t even cooperate with yours? I’d just tell them to F off at this point honestly

I had this exact thing happen to be 2 months ago when I sold. They offered 10k above asking, went under contract, after inspection report stated they wanted concessions and things fixed. I countered with offer 8k lower stating that’s my best and final) still above ask), and they countered with 5k below that. I had a few offers in my back pocket as leverage

Let them know that was my best and final, not going any lower and they accepted my counter. I’m pretty confident it was some investment LLC trying to Penny pinch me down.

I think you just have some newer homebuyers and they expecting an old home to be without issues. I’ve looked at homes that seemed like perfect condition and get a inspection report 100+ pages long with mostly minor stuff.

Keep the inspection report, can give it to any prospective buyers going forward

Why not just have another conversation with her and bring up the nursery. Beyond that there’s not much you can do if she’s vehemently opposed to you renting it out short term.

For what it’s worth, I told her face to face - “We don’t want to be in a situation where neighbors are calling the county on each other. There are lots of things going on around here that are not with code. ” Wife doesn’t want me outright threatening her and I’m trying not to be that guy, the lady is probably 75, but will do what I have to do if needed.

For what it’s worth, I told her face to face - “We don’t want to be in a situation where neighbors are calling the county on each other. There are lots of things going on around here that are not with code. ” Wife doesn’t want me outright threatening her and I’m trying not to be that guy, the lady is probably 75, but will do what I have to do if needed.
Have the wife do it. Gender to gender. She’s clearly watching y’all every move. Did you not know the rules before the purchase? Lowkey y’all gotta work it out peacefully because If you blow up everyone’s spot that’s doing the same… they will hate you.

why don't u ask her if there is a resolution that can be made

at the same time she does have a point if you are really not following the code

Wife And I are discussing either adding another level on our home or buying another place!
We ran that same conversation and after a couple of bids, we decided that the math worked better to just buy another place. This was 2021, so maybe that math/decision changes today. Y’all on any kind of timeline? Either way, good luck with that project/purchase!

We ran that same conversation and after a couple of bids, we decided that the math worked better to just buy another place. This was 2021, so maybe that math/decision changes today. Y’all on any kind of timeline? Either way, good luck with that project/purchase!
No timeline! We've discussed $200k for the addition. For that we could possibly get 2 properties.

We live in NW DC and it really depends on how much of a view we could get if we went up.

No timeline! We've discussed $200k for the addition. For that we could possibly get 2 properties.

We live in NW DC and it really depends on how much of a view we could get if we went up.
Nice, sounds like y’all have a ton of optionality to make a great decision!

We were quoted about $40/sq ft for the addition on average, which was pretty competitive at the time. What tipped us to buying another place was needing to vacate for 6 months as well. With kiddos and dogs, we didn’t want to do all that moving multiple times. I figured if we could buy a spot for less, and keep the old house as a rental, it’d be a good idea. So far, it’s worked out pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom