Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Have the wife do it. Gender to gender. She’s clearly watching y’all every move. Did you not know the rules before the purchase? Lowkey y’all gotta work it out peacefully because If you blow up everyone’s spot that’s doing the same… they will hate you.

We knew the rules, but there are thousands in our county and their policy is that they only enforce if someone complains or there are other issues (think seatbelt laws). There are several in same neighborhood including one five doors down. They’re incredibly common in coastal Florida. Agree 100% on attempting to work it out peacefully, but don’t believe she will go away.
why don't u ask her if there is a resolution that can be made

at the same time she does have a point if you are really not following the code
On a random walk through any neighborhood there are dozens of things that aren’t to code - fences, setbacks, unpermitted structures, simple construction and renovations, commercial vehicles and boats stored in driveways, etc.. The neighbor herself is running an unpermitted retail plant nursery out of her house. In situations like this I often think of Kant - “Act only on that maxim whereby you can will at the same time that it shall become a universal law.“ I have never considered filing a code complaint on a neighbor and definitely would never without speaking to someone beforehand, and it would have to be something that affected me. She isn’t wrong that it is a violation, but frankly it doesn’t affect her and it’s none of her business. Like someone driving next to you calling the police because your seatbelt isn’t buckled. They’re not wrong, but they’re definitely not right.

We spoke to her last week - “You won’t have any problem,” “it’s not a party house,” “call us if you have any concerns” and then followed up with email. That’s when she followed up complaining that functionality of website still allowed her to book short term despite listing saying 90 days. All county cares about is that listing says 90 days.

Have also spoken to attorney - ”no threats and hope she goes away.“

For what it’s worth - the lady has a “Don’t Tread On Me” flag flying in front of her house. Apparently the irony is lost on her.

Last edited:
Bought a ”beach house” last year and I am AirBnb’ing it In between my family’s trips there. County has a ”no short term rental” policy but only enforces this if someone calls county to complain. There are literally hundreds of short terms there that have operated for years without issue.

First month we rent it out and a neighbor complains. County tells us we have to change the listing online to a “90 Day Minimum“ and work it out with the neighbor. Plan is to change listing online to say “90 Day Minimum“ but continue to accept short term. Have also spoken to neighbor and assured here nobody in that house would be bothering her. Her house is a quarter mile away in back of neighborhood far from beach. She said she has not had issues with anyone in the house, but has a problem with us running short term in neighborhood. In the midst of this all, we discover that she is running a retail plant nursery out of her home and yard which is just as much of a violation as a short term. The night after we updated the listing to say “90 Day Minimum“ she emailed us to point out that the website was still allowing her to book it for less. There are several other short terms in the same neighborhood but am getting the feeling she isn’t going to back down.

Anyone dealt with something like this before? At which point do we go all scorched earth on her? Don’t need to rent it out to keep it, but like the extra cash.

She have an online store? Buy out her nursery then cancel the order. Or turn her *** in for the nursery if she wants to play games

I wanted to upgrade my electrical panel on my 4-plex from 100amp to 200amp in bay area. I had this exact thing done about 5 years ago in southern California, cost a couple Thousand all-in and took a week to have project completed and inspected.

In the Bay area, had the initial planning inspector come by and he said need to have engineer come, 1500$ advance, need to relocate the panel itself as it no longer meets current code (was built like that, but apparently no longer meets code requirements :rolleyes), need to do trenching to put the wires underground. He's telling it it'll be a 8 month+ project and cost 10k+ :lol:. Love California, but we got the most BS red-tape here compared to anywhere.

A city/county being able to set new rules overnight regarding airbnbs/temporary rentals is what always scared me from getting into the game.
Florida actually has laws against that. The problem is some counties already had laws in place that were grandfathered in. HOA’s and Condo associations can restrict whenever. Our county had the rule in place prior to the law preventing restrictions. Tourism is such a big part of our economy so my guess is that it is thrown out in 3-5 years.

How much of a PITA is having a hot tub as far as maintenance and stuff goes? Just made on offer on a little place that has a deck which overlooks the Hudson River. Thinking of adding a hot tub. It’ll mainly be a second place that will get Airbnb’d a lot of the time.

How much of a PITA is having a hot tub as far as maintenance and stuff goes? Just made on offer on a little place that has a deck which overlooks the Hudson River. Thinking of adding a hot tub. It’ll mainly be a second place that will get Airbnb’d a lot of the time.

Yeah it sucks after a minute man

What town on the Hudson? Got some intel - hot bed

Yeah it sucks after a minute man

What town on the Hudson? Got some intel - hot bed

Don’t want to say the town until the offer gets accepted (I honestly think I’m getting a good deal given where interest rates are right now so I don’t wanna jinx it) but let’s just say it’s somewhere you’ve 1000% heard of if you’re familiar with the area.

Think anywhere on the Hudson from like Rhinebeck up to Hudson, NY :lol: so a good 2 hr drive from the city.

I was looking for something a little closer in but it’s even more expensive. I think the city crowd kinda draws the line at a 2 hr drive or Amtrak/Metro North ride from the city

Don’t want to say the town until the offer gets accepted (I honestly think I’m getting a good deal given where interest rates are right now so I don’t wanna jinx it) but let’s just say it’s somewhere you’ve 1000% heard of if you’re familiar with the area.

Think anywhere on the Hudson from like Rhinebeck up to Hudson, NY :lol: so a good 2 hr drive from the city.

I was looking for something a little closer in but it’s even more expensive. I think the city crowd kinda draws the line at a 2 hr drive or Amtrak/Metro North ride from the city

Yeah my dad is from the area - I’ve actually been looking there to Albany

There’s a large luxury company coming to the area

Yeah my dad is from the area - I’ve actually been looking there to Albany

There’s a large luxury company coming to the area

Interesting..they’re coming that far up? More curious about the general vicinity you’re referring to.

Where you looking? As much as I hate Kingston I think the area has a lot more potential from what I hear — not being on a train line hurts the city though

Interesting..they’re coming that far up? More curious about the general vicinity you’re referring to.

Where you looking? As much as I hate Kingston I think the area has a lot more potential from what I hear — not being on a train line hurts the city though

Lmao that’s where my pops is from

Have done a ton of DD - I’m in on a fund of former GS kids - looking to buy buy buy the entire area - can get very granular on the towns but not a convo for NT

House going on the market Monday. Its just about 11.5 yrs old, I have a bit of equity, they keep raising insurance and taxes so i can’t continue to rent it and just break even and allegedly the comps dont justify i could get like 1750 to 2000 for it. I’m giving the buyer a 4k flooring allowance so they can just buy their own floors and rip up the carpet if they want

Last edited:
Man ive gotten some quotes to redo my porch, driveway and a nice patio setup.

Prices are wild. Just to take down and rebuild a couple of porch steps is like 8k and up.

When you live in certain places, these contractors be jackin **** up

Man ive gotten some quotes to redo my porch, driveway and a nice patio setup.

Prices are wild. Just to take down and rebuild a couple of porch steps is like 8k and up.

When you live in certain places, these contractors be jackin **** up

Yeah my brother in law is paying 12k for his porch - I told him he should just do it himself smh

dad-memes24.jpeg

Just sold my last rental property yesterday.

Now I’m down to just my principle residence.

Feels good and bad man.

Not sure what the point of the sale was. we made a lot of money on the sale and we don’t really need it for anything.

We were making about $400 positive on the property monthly.
But it felt like time to divest out of real estate.

Not sure what to do with the money.

Just sold my last rental property yesterday.

Now I’m down to just my principle residence.

Feels good and bad man.

Not sure what the point of the sale was. we made a lot of money on the sale and we don’t really need it for anything.

We were making about $400 positive on the property monthly.
But it felt like time to divest out of real estate.

Not sure what to do with the money.
Sold 2 of my properties now and definitely regret selling 1. 1 of them the property taxes skyrocketed and while it was a good property, don’t regret it. The last one I sold I made a 2x, but now I got $ burning a hole in my pocket. Might try to flip in some stocks

Back
Top Bottom