Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

This is a good point that I didn't take into consideration when I posted earlier. I've been lucky enough to get 5% down payments (non FHA) on a couple of deals. I forget about those FHA restrictions.

For people locked in at lower rates with FHA removing PMI could be a pain point. It's definitely worth examining where your loan stands a d what you would save.
I got 2 FHA loans <3% interest and Gonna be a minute until I can refi out of them cause interest rates might not get back down there for years

I could be wrong, but I think FHA

I think FHA and USDA are the ones folks usually get pissed about. The FHA is for the life of the loan if you put down < 10%. USDAs charge an annual "guarantee fee" to my understanding. You should be good if you're just doing conventional or VA
You'll never have mortgage insurance on a VA loan.

The return on investment for your dollars might be worth paying PMI anyways.

That’s why I put 5% down instead of 20%. I figured that if I take the $125,000 i’m not putting down and invest it the return I can get on it outweighs the monthly cost of the PMI. I also have that cash accessible and not tied up into the house.

it really hurts me to not have had money 2008 to 2020. Not sure we’ll ever see home price appreciation like that again in California. Buying a home in 2022 and seeing the tea leaves of the next 5 years it’s painful.

it really hurts me to not have had money 2008 to 2020. Not sure we’ll ever see home price appreciation like that again in California. Buying a home in 2022 and seeing the tea leaves of the next 5 years it’s painful.
I got my first crib in 2015, I live in a relatively low cost of living area so starter homes were in abundance at sub 150k pricing.

Seeing how things look now and in conjunction with the interest rates it somewhat scares me. I've been thinking a crash is coming for a full year now but the market keeps on chugging along.

At this point I'm really starting to believe this is the new norm.

California appreciation going to keep chugging along. Southern California been on fire for last 10 years and Bay area still competitive market even with these crazy interest rates. I'm looking to buy in a couple years and have kept my eye on the market in the Bay area, most properties are gone within 2 weeks

California appreciation going to keep chugging along. Southern California been on fire for last 10 years and Bay area still competitive market even with these crazy interest rates. I'm looking to buy in a couple years and have kept my eye on the market in the Bay area, most properties are gone within 2 weeks

IMG_3461.jpeg

I’d be truly shocked if the 2021 to 2030 is similar rate of appreciation as 2011 to 2020.

I think in the long run there will be some years of huge jumps though but seems like the next 3-5 years going to be rough. It’ll really depend on if / when a president or political change happens and if interest rates plummet. Will create an all out frenzy for sure and I think prices will sky rocket. TBd though if demand and supply is the same by that point though from a need perspective. I’m just saying a lot of words but just jelly i can’t do what most of my friends did - which was buy a place and then sold it 3 or 4 years later for a $300-500k+ profit.

Lot easier to buy a second place and sit out the bad years once you got that backup funds sitting there

Last edited:
IMG_3461.jpeg

I’d be truly shocked if the 2021 to 2030 is similar rate of appreciation as 2011 to 2020.

I think in the long run there will be some years of huge jumps though but seems like the next 3-5 years going to be rough. It’ll really depend on if / when a president or political change happens and if interest rates plummet. Will create an all out frenzy for sure and I think prices will sky rocket. TBd though if demand and supply is the same by that point though from a need perspective. I’m just saying a lot of words but just jelly i can’t do what most of my friends did - which was buy a place and then sold it 3 or 4 years later for a $300-500k+ profit.

Lot easier to buy a second place and sit out the bad years once you got that backup funds sitting there
Like the graph posted there’ll be peaks and valleys, but even in this high interest rate environment, home inventory is low in California. Going to need to take a breather here as just had a run up. Instead of selling 10% above list price, they’re selling at list for a bit.

I’ve sold 2 properties in last 5 years and I’m probably not going to sell anymore. Lose 2%+ to realtor commission, another 1% closing costs, and profit is taxed at your income rate (probably 24%+ tax rate for most). Selling overrated. Got 200k profit with inflation at its highest, and buying another property at +5% interest rate with housing prices higher? Back to square one

Speaking of 2020 and Southern California– salute to all y’all who didn’t have no handouts along the way and made it on your own. I respect whatever it took for you to get here especially the ones who did it single

I know the sacrifices

Can’t believe it’s been 3 years already, beyond thankful everything fell into place how it did

E9720339-1DEF-4376-929A-1BC1FA1BE4F9.jpeg

Like the graph posted there’ll be peaks and valleys, but even in this high interest rate environment, home inventory is low in California. Going to need to take a breather here as just had a run up. Instead of selling 10% above list price, they’re selling at list for a bit.

I’ve sold 2 properties in last 5 years and I’m probably not going to sell anymore. Lose 2%+ to realtor commission, another 1% closing costs, and profit is taxed at your income rate (probably 24%+ tax rate for most). Selling overrated. Got 200k profit with inflation at its highest, and buying another property at +5% interest rate with housing prices higher? Back to square one
Damb. Can you break down that last part of the tax? I know the realtor and closing costs and assumed 10% or so total off the top but never heard of income rate?

That’s rough, at that point it’s like why even sell especially if the interest rates are how they are to buy again

Damb. Can you break down that last part of the tax? I know the realtor and closing costs and assumed 10% or so total off the top but never heard of income rate?

That’s rough, at that point it’s like why even sell especially if the interest rates are how they are to buy again
When you sell state and federal want their piece of the pie. In California they’re looking for 1-13% (income tax rate which varies based on state). Then federal tax you at this rate for long term capital gains assuming you wait at least a year to sell, otherwise you’ll get short terms capital gains (which is less favorable rates):
Single Filers long term capital gains:
0%-$0 to $41,675
15%-$41,676 to $459,750
20%- $459,751 or more

There’s a great capital gains exclusion (no federal tax) if you meet certain criteria: selling your primary residence, lived in it at least 2 years, haven’t claim the exclusion within last 2 years

When you sell state and federal want their piece of the pie. In California they’re looking for 1-13% (income tax rate which varies based on state). Then federal tax you at this rate for long term capital gains assuming you wait at least a year to sell, otherwise you’ll get short terms capital gains (which is less favorable rates):
Single Filers long term capital gains:
0%-$0 to $41,675
15%-$41,676 to $459,750
20%- $459,751 or more

There’s a great capital gains exclusion (no federal tax) if you meet certain criteria: selling your primary residence, lived in it at least 2 years, haven’t claim the exclusion within last 2 years
Yup on that very last part, my agent schooled me on that a year back

Appreciate the info

Back
Top Bottom