Hops = Athleticism??

^ James White is definitely an athlete, but I can NOT say, "James White has great athleticism."

James White is definitely an athlete, but I can NOT say, "James White has great athleticism."

You cannot jump from the free throw line, take a basketball, and dunk it all in the same motion...and not have great athleticism.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ James White is definitely an athlete, but I can NOT say, "James White has great athleticism."

nerd.gif
whats your definition of athleticism?

'Athleticism' is a combination of things, as mentioned in the thread.

I think you guys are stuck on the word 'athlete'.

You guys would call James White has great athleticism? Speed, coordination, body control, endurance, patience, knowledge... all kinds of things. The peoplethat encompass all of those (and the gamut of other criteria I haven't mentioned but are still part of the word 'athleticism') are people I wouldsay have great athleticism.

I think you're confused.

James White is a world class athlete and has "great athleticism". He just isn't a great basketball player. That's what you're getting caught up on.
James White is definitely an athlete, but I can NOT say, "James White has great athleticism."
How does that even make sense? Athleticism is derived from athlete right? How can he be a great athlete without great athleticism? That's likebeing a female without a +#@%$.

You guys would call James White has great athleticism? Speed, coordination, body control, endurance, patience, knowledge... all kinds of things. The people that encompass all of those (and the gamut of other criteria I haven't mentioned but are still part of the word 'athleticism') are people I would say have great athleticism.
These don't deal with athleticism. Those are skills. You learn those. They have nothing to do with being an athlete. You don't learnathleticism.

You're honestly trying to say a guy, who'd be an Olympic qualifier is an athlete but doesn't hold "great athleticism"? Youserious?
indifferent.gif
So what do you considered the rest of USATF?
laugh.gif
Somebody posted a video of Ato Bolden in some of his training (the "Whichsport has the best athletes?" thread), and I'm pretty sure I'd consider that great athleticism, regardless of his coordination, patience orknowledge.

Chuck Finster summed up what I was going to say. How is James White not a great athlete? The only reason he was in the NBA was because of his is athleticism.You don't have to be a great athlete to be a good basketball player (i.e. Kevin Durant, Larry Bird) because basketball and other skill sports requireskills such as dribbling, shooting, etc. But when you take all of those factors away, you're left with track and field and that's where the realATHLETES are. And as others have said, James White can qualify for the Olympics in the long jump and high jump with NO TRAINING. How is that not an athlete?

And to go back to the original question, hops isn't the only requirement for athleticism, but it has a lot to do with it. Someone's jumping ability ismeasured by how much force you can put into the ground. Same goes for sprinting. And if you have someone who can run extremely fast and jump extremely high,it's hard not to classify them as an athlete.

Someone excels at baking cakes, which also makes them good at baking bread, pastries, brownies, and other doughy items.

But they're terrible at cooking meals, making cocktails, making menus, organizing the cooking that goes on in a kitchen, timing the food preparation toline up with each other.

Would you call that person a great chef?

I understand that they would still deserve to be called a chef or a cook, but a great chef? A great cook?

The thread title asks if hops = athleticism.

The answer is no; no, hops is not all there is to athleticism, just like making cakes is not all there is to cooking. Someone who excels at making cakesis a cook, yes... but saying 'making cakes = all there is to being a cook' is as true as 'hops = all thereis to athleticism'.
Baree23warD:
How is that not an athlete?
Who in the world said he wasn't an athlete?

Someone excels at baking cakes, which also makes them good at baking bread, pastries, brownies, and other doughy items.

But they're terrible at cooking meals, making cocktails, making menus, organizing the cooking that goes on in a kitchen, timing the food preparation to line up with each other.

Would you call that person a great chef? (or Basketball/Football/T&F/Tennis/Soccer player? No we wouldn't. But that's not the question.)

I understand that they would still deserve to be called a chef or a cook, but a great chef? A great cook?

The thread title asks if hops = athleticism.

The answer is no; no, hops is not all there is to athleticism, just like making cakes is not all there is to cooking. Someone who excels at making cakes is a cook, yes... but saying 'making cakes = all there is to being a cook' is as true as 'hops = all there is to athleticism'.

.........and therein lies your flawed logic.

You're confusing what creates a great ATHLETE and a great PLAYER OF SPORT.

The cook thing shows your confusion. We're talking about the aspects and physicality of being an athlete. Not what constitutes a whole participant of asport. Let's take what you said before...........

You guys would call James White has great athleticism? Speed, coordination, body control, endurance, patience, knowledge... all kinds of things. The people that encompass all of those (and the gamut of other criteria I haven't mentioned but are still part of the word 'athleticism') are people I would say have great athleticism.

Mental. Learned

Physical. Not learned. Raw athleticism
When you combine both, you don't get an athlete, you get a great player or participant of sport. The athleticism is just the physical part.

Knowing you're defender - Being able to make 23 footers consistently - Making good decisions on the court

^
Skilled smart Player

Fast runner - High Jumper - Great Endurance

^
Great athleticism

Combine them and we get what you're talking about, an exceptional participant of a certain field of play. We're talking about athleticism only though.

So hops = athleticism, then? That's it? If you have crazy hops, you deserve to be praised for your athleticism?

I just read the title, 'hops = athleticism', and I can't say 'Yes', because there's more to athleticism than hops.

Athleticism doesn't necessarily mean skill. IMO it just natural raw ability but not necessarily applied talent.

Skill has little to do with athleticism, Track is the purest form of athleticism which really focuses on speed, jumping and strength. Does anyone remember thatcompetition they used to have on CBS with all kinds of athletes doing some type of decathlon. I vividly remember Torry Holt goin one-on-one with Curtis Martin,both of them lookin ******ed on the court
laugh.gif

So hops = athleticism, then? That's it? If you have crazy hops, you deserve to be praised for your athleticism?

I just read the title, 'hops = athleticism', and I can't say 'Yes', because there's more to athleticism than hops.

I think my earlier post kinda explained this theory - generally speaking a great leaper is a great sprinter.. and if you can run and jump well, you tend tohave most of the other attributes of a great athlete. Now, you may be as uncoordinated as crap, and may not have great balance or understanding of a sport orany of those things... but you can have incredible athleticism and stink at sports - it's very possible, i've seen it
laugh.gif
Just the same way you canhave next to no athleticism and excel at sports through having knowledge of the game and positioning and what not.

Again - it's just my take, and i think we're all just mostly arguing about the definition of the word more than anything, but being an athlete andbeing skilled are very different - one of them is something you're born with, another takes a lot of hard work and practice.. the two together usually makeup the best in the world.

I seen wide recieves with great athleticism but little to no hops. can you have athleticism a no hops? Yes. It's not a hard concept. Related yes but nothey are not the same exact thing.

Originally Posted by 1D

I seen wide recieves with great athleticism but little to no hops. can you have athleticism a no hops? Yes. It's not a hard concept. Related yes but no they are not the same exact thing.

speed != quickness/burst/explosion

It really varies with a lot of other things. But the measure of how high someone can leap is a good indication. But it shouldn't be everything.

Back
Top Bottom