Houston Rockets 2017 Preseason Thread - Spurs MyPlayers Take Over

Source: Blazers, Rockets, #Knicks have engaged in early talks regarding a 3 team deal that could potentially send C. Anthony to Houston

I think it happens by next week.

Don't jinx it

Every time I read about these rumors on clutchfans right before bed, I end up having like 3 dreams that we traded for him and wake up and sleepily check my phone to see the alert and realize it hasn't happened...yet [emoji]127997[/emoji]

Last edited:
The Rockets’ Summer League campaign begins this afternoon, and The Dream Shake has all you need to know about the Rockets participating and what to look forward to over the next ten days.

Schedule

7/7 - Rockets vs. Nuggets - 9 CT - NBA TV/WatchESPN

7/8 - Rockets vs. Cavaliers - 9 CT - ESPNU/WatchESPN

7/10 - Rockets vs. Suns - 5:30 CT - NBATV/WatchESPN

Roster

George de Paula (not Paul George)

Isaiah Hartenstein

Erik McCree

Chris Johnson

Matt Jones

Shawn Long

Ray McCallum

Cameron Oliver

Chinanu Onuaku

LJ Peak

Zhou Qi

Tim Quarterman

Isaiah Taylor

Jarrod Uthoff

Troy Williams

Important Storylines

How will the recent second round picks fare?

Zhou Qi, the 2016 second-rounder, has looked impressive in summer camp and the Vegas Summer League will be his first action in a Rockets uniform. It will be interesting to see how he fares. Standing at 7’2”, he is actually a forward as opposed to a center. To my knowledge, it seems like the Rockets are trying to mold Qi into a Kristaps Porzingis-esque player, as someone who can block shots, hold it down in the paint, and shoot threes.

Hartenstein provides similar characteristics, but the chances of him playing are less likelier than others. Qi did not play in last year’s summer league, and it would not be surprising if Hartenstein is a roster filler for this Vegas team. If he ends up playing, it likely won’t be with Qi on the court given that the two play similar positions.

This is Qi’s time to shine and chance to carve out a role on the team that he might have next season.

Who is the most intriguing player on the roster?

For me, it is a tie between Zhou Qi and Cameron Oliver. Oliver was a projected second-round prospect but he fell out of the draft and signed as an undrafted free agent. Oliver likely fell due to his tweener status, a 6’8” power forward, but he is one of the most athletic prospects out of this draft. Watching Oliver over the next few days will be exciting, and I reckon the Rockets will try to keep him down in the Valley this season as a Viper, so he’s a name we should all familiarize ourselves with.

Who could make the team from this roster?

I believe seven Rockets have a chance to make the final roster for the Rockets: Ray McCallum, Cam Oliver, Chinanu Onuaku, Zhou Qi, Isaiah Taylor, Jarrod Uthoff, and Troy Williams.

Troy Williams should be a leader for this team, and with the only player with Rockets playoff experience on the roster, he is the most likely to make the team next season.

Cam Oliver’s athleticism alone will give him a chance, and so will Zhou Qi’s upside.

Onuaku and Taylor spent time last year in the Valley for the Vipers, but will be in consideration for the Houston roster this season. Uthoff also spent time in the D-League last season with the Texas Legends, and after he was traded to Houston last week, he was destined to stay after learning he could not be traded for two months. It is possible that Daryl Morey is looking for him to occupy Kyle Wiltjer’s vacant roster spot.

However, the person that I believe could really help this roster is Ray McCallum. McCallum has the most NBA experience in the bunch, playing for the Kings, Grizzlies, Spurs, and Hornets. He has a chance to secure the third team point guard spot on this roster with a strong Summer League showing. Being 26, he has the most to prove and he feels that it is his time to take advantage of the situation.

Last edited:
Ryan Kelly has been officially waived. I saw that coming since his contract would have been guaranteed :lol:

Last edited:
He doesn't have a contract right now, I hope the Rockets offer him one.

I read last week the Grizzlies had interest in resigning him.

Is there any stat that shows how good Melo is off the catch and shoot from 3? Anderson is probably the better 3 point shooter, but Melo would be more versatile and won't be much of a ball stopper with CP3/Harden on the roster.

At the same time, D'Antoni just said he quit because of Melo so why would they trade for him?

Is there any stat that shows how good Melo is off the catch and shoot from 3? Anderson is probably the better 3 point shooter, but Melo would be more versatile and won't be much of a ball stopper with CP3/Harden on the roster.

At the same time, D'Antoni just said he quit because of Melo so why would they trade for him?

Knicks were a mess during that time, and even though they made the playoffs his 3rd season there, it seemed like the damage was already done. 5 years later, things can change, especially with NY still being a mess, and the Rockets looking up. Things can change I guess
manny.png

Think I read on clutch fans that Anderson was .1% better on catch and shoot 3 point percentage.

Also, dantoni already came out and said something along the lines of how he'd welcome melo and hopefully he would be a better coach this time around.

That being said, every day that passes and we don't land melo, I get less and less optimistic.

Last edited:
From Chron:

The Rockets got most of what they wanted from their Summer League opener. They held off the Denver Nuggets, 102-99. Some players that could be in camp played well. Rockets assistant coach Roy Rogers got plenty to discuss before Saturday's game against the Cavaliers.

Those who had not been peeking through the Toyota Center curtains for Zhou Qi's workouts the past few months or practices the previous few days got something perhaps more rewarding.

Zhou was far from the star of the game. That was clearly Troy Williams, the free agent forward that began last season with the Grizzlies and finished it with the Rockets. But Zhou, the Rockets' 7-1 rookie, showed enough to demonstrate why he is such an intriguing prospect.

With that, takeaways from the Rockets' win against the Nuggets:

1) The Rockets have the usual long list of goals for Summer League, but perhaps the top priority is getting Zhou plenty of playing time. He showed why. At 7-1, he moves well. He finished at the rim and knocked down a pair of 3s, looking at ease in his catch-and-shoot situations in the paint and on the perimeter. Fresh off signing his four-year contract on Thursday, Zhou even seemed comfortable with the speed of the game, usually the challenge in a rookie's initial Summer League games. Though it had been often assumed that the Rockets chose Zhou because of marketing opportunities in China, that never made much sense. They remain wildly popular in China and are no doubt happy to have another Chinese player. But if he could not develop into a worthwhile prospect, he would not have been around long enough for the Rockets to cash in. That should not be a problem. The Rockets saw enough of him before they drafted him and in the season with the Xinjiang Flying Tigers since – keeping a staff member with him throughout the season to closely monitor his progress – to make sure they would save just enough mid-level exception money to give him a long-term contract, and with it, time to develop. His play in Summer League, with 16 points and six rebounds in the opener, was more than enough to demonstrate potential worthiness of the investment of a 43rd pick. He will need time to add some strength to his 210 pounds. He is a long way from being able to hold position inside to rebound sufficiently. But he seemed comfortable on the floor, with conspicuous and compelling size and skills.

2) From the start, Troy Williams looked like the NBA player on a summer league team. A free agent, he no doubt would like to be thought of that way. At times, he was in a bit too much of a hurry to take over. But the Rockets liked what they saw in Williams in the G League last season and signed him to get another look. On Friday, he offered a reminder of his show-stopping performance in Phoenix, as if he likes playing in the desert. He finished off the dribble and on cuts and dropped in 4 of 7 3s. When he finished the win at the line with a final free throw, he had 29 points in 24 minutes and a first step toward landing another deal.

3) When Isaiah Taylor got the call to fill in on the Rockets' roster late last season, he was cautious, as if he viewed his job as to distribute the ball and get out of the way. But that's not his game and not what he had demonstrated with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. Taylor needs to be aggressive off the dribble, using his quickness to attack the defense. He showed that in the Rockets' Summer League opener. He did not look to shoot often, making 2 of 3 attempts, but he attacked the Nuggets' defense in the halfcourt and when they employed full-court presses. He got into the paint and set up scorers, finishing with 10 assists and just one turnover. He seemed more assured of himself and his role than in his late-season cameo with the Rockets. It is an important Summer League for Taylor. He is under contract and, barring a deal that uses his non-guaranteed contract, he is expected to be in camp. With spots on the Rockets to fill, he could be playing to claim one in October. On Friday, when the Rockets gave him the ball and let him go to work, he showed a greater sense of what to do with it than in his brief time with the team last season and helped key the win.

Last edited:
Adrian Wojnarowski [emoji]10004[/emoji]@wojespn
Sources with @WindhorstESPN: James Harden and Rockets are progressing toward deal on biggest contract extension in NBA history.
2:49 PM - 8 Jul 2017
933 933 Retweets 950 950 likes

Sources with @WindhorstESPN: James Harden and Rockets are progressing toward deal on biggest contract extension in NBA history.

What does this mean in terms of Melo potentially joining Houston?

Good to hear, I was starting to worry he would eventually leave lol.

What does this mean in terms of Melo potentially joining Houston?
Prob nothing it's just 4 more years added to the end of his deal. Signed through 2023 now.

SportsCenter
(@SportsCenter)
Breaking: James Harden signs 4-year, $228 million contract extension with the Rockets through 2022-23 season. (via @wojespn)

MMMMMMMMMMMMs

Back
Top Bottom