Houston Rockets 2017 Preseason Thread - Spurs MyPlayers Take Over

Outside the Brooklyn pick. What could even Cleveland give them. No more Kyrie. Ryan Anderson is better than whatever they can throw at the Knicks

^Pretty much. At this point, I wouldn't even be bent out of shape with a trade not happening, cause I'm tired of this. I also didn't like hearing Ryno/EG for Melo. I don't think that was anything official, but I just don't like the idea of that.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --
Rockets owner Leslie Alexander has agreed to sell the team to Houston billionaire Tilman Fertitta for a reported $2.2 billion, which would be a record-NBA franchise sales price.

The official announcement as Tilman Fertitta will become the #Rockets new owner. #ABC13 pic.twitter.com/2pzt1vcwbe

— David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) September 5, 2017
The Rockets sale would eclipse the record of Steve Ballmer's $2 billion purchase of the LA Clippers in 2014.

"I am truly honored to have been chosen as the next owner of the Houston Rockets. This is a life-long dream come true," said Fertitta, a native of Galveston and life-long resident of the Houston area.

The transaction, which includes operation of the Toyota Center Arena, requires the approval of the NBA Board of Governors.

Terms of the sale were not disclosed, other than the fact that Fertitta has no other partners in connection with the transaction.

"I am excited to welcome and pass the torch to Tilman. He is a Houstonian, business leader and committed to the success and excellence of the Rockets both on and off the basketball court," said Alexander. "I have personally known Tilman for over 24 years and don't think I could have found anyone more capable of continuing the winning tradition of our Houston Rockets."

Forbes Magazine valued the Rockets franchise this past February at $1.65 billion -- good for eighth in the NBA -- with revenues of $244 million.
The owner of Landry's, Inc., and chairman of the Board of Regents of the University of Houston, Forbes calls Fertitta the "World's Richest Restaurateur." His net worth has been reported at about $2.8 billion.

An original investor in the NFL's Houston Texans, Fertitta offered $81 million to buy the Rockets in 1993, but the team was sold to Alexander for $85 million.

Under Alexander, the Rockets have won two NBA championships.

"Leslie Alexander has been one of the best owners in all of sports, and I thank him immensely for this opportunity. He has the heart of a champion," Fertitta said. "Lastly, out of respect for the NBA's approval process, I can say no more other than I am overwhelmed with emotion to have this opportunity in my beloved city of Houston."

Basically the exact person I wanted to purchase the Rockets. I wasn't really on board with some Chinese company buying then and moving them to China and combining with another team.

4 billion estimation was pushing it, but this should mean the Rockets are here for the forseeable future.

I said it would be 4 given it's 2 billion evaluation. I don't understand business as much as I would like to yet.

He still made a profit given the price he bought it for.

Houston Rockets 20-man Training Camp roster
Tomorrow is the first day of Training Camp and the Rockets have officially announced their 20-man roster. Let’s take a look!

First off, happy Media Day (and Training Camp soon) to you, Red Nation! Today is an exciting one as we begin to approach the 2017-18 NBA season. It is fast approaching with the first preseason game happening in just a week and a day away on the 3rd of October!

With that said, let’s get to the new information. The Rockets have released their official Training Camp roster. While the names are all fairly familiar and the roster probably could have been guessed, it is still nice to see in writing.

We’ll start with the guards.

Guards

James Harden
Chris Paul
Eric Gordon
Bobby Brown
Isaiah Taylor
Demetrius Jackson
Tim Quarterman (Guard/Forward)
Chris Johnson (Guard/Forward)

This is a fine list that includes the recently signed Chris Johnson. Tim Quarterman is also included as he made it all the way to Training Camp after being signed as a trade piece.

Now onto the forwards

Forwards

Trevor Ariza
Ryan Anderson
P.J. Tucker
Luc Mbah a Moute
Cameron Oliver
Troy Williams
Tarik Black (Forward/Center)
Zhou Qi (Forward/Center)
Chinanu Onuaku (Forward/Center)
Shawn Long (Forward/Center)

Like Quarterman, Shawn Long also found his way onto the Training Camp roster after being signed as a trade piece. The rest were fairly predictable.

Lastly, the centers.

Centers

Clint Capela
Nene Hilario

These two are the only true-centers on the Rockets. While Nene has played power forward for teams in the past, it is clear that he is only a center in Houston. - FANSIDED

DKl2EqDV4AAbEii

DKlvHw-V4AETjYa

DKl5wM2UIAAWe3S

DKl4eNNUIAEYAzb

DKlwLxWV4AIZ0Bk

DKlivq_V4AAv2az

DKlk2U8V4AEnVxG

Like our SF/PF rotation. Probably should work one guard to go with Harden/Paul/Gordon. Don't know much on Brown or Taylor.

From what?

Rockets forward P.J. Tucker suffered a strained hamstring in one of the Rockets recent workouts and will be held out of the start of training camp, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. The issue is not considered serious, with Morey calling it "something nagging" and "something minor."

"We'll be careful with him," Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni said.

Morey said the rest of the roster has been cleared for the start of workouts.

No Melo, No Problem — The Rockets Are Upbeat About Their New Roster Additions

balke-harden-rockets-2017.jpg

For months, the Rockets were the center of whirling NBA trade rumors. After a blockbuster deal landed them Chris Paul from the Clippers, talk began circulating that Carmelo Anthony, a close friend of Paul, wanted to join his buddy and James Harden in Houston. For weeks, sources whispered of not only Anthony's desire to leave New York, but how his heart was set on Houston. With a no-trade clause allowing him to veto any trade he didn't like, it seemed inevitable that he would join Harden and Paul in one of the most dynamic big threes in all of basketball.

But, the Knicks refused to pull the trigger and seemed content to enter training camp with a disgruntled All-Star forward on the roster. It was a summer-long game of chicken that ended last week when Anthony, not wanting the saga to drag on into the preseason, blinked. He gave permission for the Knicks to seek trades with the Cavs and the Thunder. Within hours, a deal was done that made him part of a big three, but with Russell Westrbook and Paul George in Oklahoma City instead of Houston.

Not only had the Rockets missed out, but they watched as their conference rival — they team they beat in the first round of last year's playoffs — got better in the process. As one might expect, the letdown among fans on Twitter was swift and depressive. Given the extreme buildup from NBA insiders who made Anthony to Houston sound like a done deal (one report called in "on the two yard line," though most agree that was not the case), it's not surprising.

At Toyota Center on Monday during the Rockets annual media day, however, there was no hand wringing, no sense of loss. In fact, it was quite the opposite. From Coach Mike D'Antonio and GM Daryl Morey to the players who paraded in front of reporters for the annual string of press conferences, the Rockets all sounded excited about the new season.

balke-paul-rockets-2017.jpg

In fact, they should be. Up until the moment OKC acquired Anthony, the Rockets were having the best offseason of any team in the NBA. In addition to Paul, they quietly added defensive stalwarts P.J. Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute along with big man Tarik Black. They retained valuable backup center Nene and filled out the roster with athletes that could pay dividends in years to come.

Up until the moment OKC acquired Anthony, the Rockets were having the best offseason of any team in the NBA.

And that doesn't even take into account the returning players from Sixth Man of the Year Eric Gordon to center Clint Capela, solid role player Trevor Ariza to sharpshooter Ryan Anderson.

Then there's Paul. It's a bit of a disservice to him that, despite a rousing introduction nearly three months ago in the same room, he was greeted with questions of "what if...?" on his first actual day in a Rockets uniform. Not only is he one of the best playmakers in the game, he will help take pressure off of Harden, who often had to shoulder the scoring burden for the team.

He and Harden wanted to play together. They understand they are better together and both spoke of no longer needing individual accolades, preferring instead for loftier team goals. Much like last summer, Harden organized workouts with members of the squad. For more than two months, Paul, Harden and the team went through pickup games and worked on team chemistry, the same kind that led them to 55 wins with Patrick Beverley, not Paul, as their starting point guard.

There are questions that must be answered: How do they deal with the paper thin forward spots? Can they rely on the three pointer to the same degree? Will the additions be enough to beef up a mediocre defense? Can anyone, the Rockets and Thunder included, beat the Golden State Warriors? Those will all be answered as the new season progresses. But, on Monday, it was as much the shrug of indifference they gave to the lost opportunity to acquire Anthony as the praise they heaped on their new teammates that spoke volumes about where they are already as a team and where Paul and Harden, in particular, hope to be next summer. - HOUSTON PRESS

Back
Top Bottom