Houston Rockets Thread - Preseason vs Spurs (Friday)

we have the roster for it, all we need is a bit of luck (health) 
pimp.gif

Preseason gamesmanship with Harden, Howard, Capela, Thornton, Ariza, Terry, and Lawson all out tonight :lol: :lol:

one of my Dallas homies (homers) was trying to tell me "watch out" for his Mavs this year, don't sleep. :lol:
(he bet me mid playoff series though that the Mavs would win, if that means anything)

anyway, he started listing the roster, to which i constantly responded "bum" to the tune of telling him the Mavs might be a lottery team this year. We got on Justin Anderson and I felt like they drafted him as a 1st rounder, and comparatively, he's a low budget KJ McDaniels...who is at the end of our rotation. I'm high on KJ, ha. (i wonder where KJ will settle in mins wise. wouldn't mind him being a defensive cog)

Last edited:
Your homie needs to go home and be a family man in regards to the Mavs actually making noise this season :lol: :lol:

CRaZ_VWUYAAOoW8.png

Houston Rockets rumors 2015: Ty Lawson puts in extra work

Ty Lawson is entering the National Basketball Association (NBA) regular season with some dark clouds around him but it looks like the 27-year-old point guard is shunning that all away and is instead focusing on getting himself in the best shape possible.

Before he landed in Houston, it will be recalled that Lawson had his off-court issues. Such included driving under the influence (DUI) charges that saw him undergo rehab before suiting up with the Rockets.

While that part of his life is still under close watch, it seems that Lawson has diverted his attention elsewhere like to putting in additional work at the Houston Rockets facilities.

The report comes from Jenny Dial Creech of the Houston Chronicle who reveals that Lawson has been spending most of his nights working out and such should be welcome news for Rockets fans.

This somehow indicates that Lawson is entering the 2015–16 season motivated but perhaps with also something to prove after being shipped by the Denver Nuggets in the offseason.

In Houston, it remains to be seen on whether Lawson will start or play behind Patrick Beverly.

After being used to being the go-to-guy, Lawson's place in Houston will be a bit different. He joins a team that has two established stars already in James Harden and Dwight Howard which means that he is expected to do his share but not as tedious during his time with the Nuggets.

Whatever role he is given, his coming is seen as something positive since the Rockets were pretty much problematic last season due to point guard woes.

Patrick Beverly got taken out early due to injury and the gaping hole in the point guard position told on the Rockets in the postseason.

This time, however, the Rockets could be entirely different. And considering that the team is grouped up in a highly competitive Western Conference, the arrival of Lawson should be a big help to the Rocket's campaign this coming 2015–16 NBA season.

Ditto. Outside of some bad shooting %, he's been very active on defense. Like seeing that.

Tonight is home vs the Pelicans. Capela should be starting at center again. I'm really interested in his development this year as he's entrenched as Howard's backup, as we don't have to suffer through that miserable waste of space Dorsey.

With the final preseason game on Friday vs the Spurs, I'll have the new thread up Sunday :nerd: :nerd:

Joshua Smith has one last chance

i

The season starts in less than a week and Joshua Smith has one practice and one preseason game to prove something.

Such is the life of a rookie trying to make a veteran-laden team as a center.

Smith entered his time with the Houston Rockets as a long shot to make the roster given the veteran star, Dwight Howard was the starter, Clint Capela's rising talent as the backup and Jeremy Tyler, who has at least three years of NBA experience over him.

As training camp progressed, Smith watched Howard and Capela's health keep them out of games, presenting him with an opportunity to play.

Smith got minutes over Tyler, who doesn't appear in the mix for one of the final roster spots now.

So it's up to Smith. Can he make it?

"That's something I try not to think about," he said. "I let the hierarchy make that decision. I'm going to control what I can control and try to get better every day."

One of the people making the decision is a Hall of Fame power forward in Rockets coach Kevin McHale. Based on the health of the bigs, Smith's roster spot could be secure.

Then again, maybe not.

"Joshua right now may win a spot by default," McHale said. "He may be the biggest guy left standing. He's picking up stuff that we're doing, he's working on getting in better shape and working on going longer and that kind of stuff. I like his hands, I like his feet, I think he's got a pretty good feel for the game. I think realistically when Dwight comes back, and (Donatas Motiejunas) comes back and Terrence [Jones] comes back, the majority of the minutes will be with them and Dwight, but we'll see how it goes."

As the Rockets move toward their final preseason game with McHale expressing a desire to play his vets a good portion of the game, he won't have Howard, Jones and Motiejunas.

Capela is the starting center, Smith and Tyler could get some time at center after that. The Rockets will play small and that keeps a player like Smith on the bench.

Smith's size (6 feet 10, 350 pounds) can be a problem at times. He needs to move faster on the weak side of the defense to help out and when faced one-on-one with opponents, has to move quicker so he can stop reaching for fouls.

In six preseason games, Smith has been called for a team-high 29 fouls. Some of the calls are just a rookie still learning the NBA game.

The foul calls became so bad, Smith's mother, Tracey, called him to cut it out.

"In college you can afford to be on the weak side and sometimes you can zone off a little bit because the play is not going your way, because of different options," he said. "But in the NBA there is so many actions, it's going so fast. When you're on the weak side, it's important you're talking because the
is the quarterback of the defense. You got to tell everybody what they're doing and what to do. You got to be more aware."

Smith is using the fact he played at two prestigious basketball schools in college, UCLA and Georgetown, as help in his development. In the summer league, he picked the brain of Patrick Ewing, considered one of the great centers in college basketball history. On his own team, Smith spoke with Trevor Ariza, a UCLA alum. Smith is trying to learn everything he can on and off the court.

"It's just making sure I'm taking advantage of all the opportunities I have here," Smith said. "I met the nutritionist the other day and went over a meal plan and making sure I'm getting in the meals before games, after games and making sure I'm getting my metabolism up because with the game and everything I'm feeling a lot better going out there. The more weight I lose, the better I feel."

Is it too late?​

Last edited:
Dwight Howard to sit preseason finale for Rockets, says not to worry

HOUSTON -- Rockets center Dwight Howard won't play in the preseason finale against the San Antonio Spurs on Friday, but he will be ready for the start of the regular season.

Howard has played in just one preseason game and hasn't fully practiced since Oct. 5 because of back tightness, but he said Wednesday he's getting ready for the regular season.

"I would love to [play against the Spurs]," Howard said after doing limited drills in practice. "The most important thing is my body is ready for the long haul. We got a long season, and my teammates need me to be healthy, and I don't think playing in a preseason game to prove to everybody I can play is necessary. The most important thing is that I'm healthy and in pretty good shape for go time."

Howard missed a career-high 41 games last season with a variety of injuries. A swollen right knee cost him 26 games, but he returned in time for the postseason, averaging 16.4 points and 14 rebounds per game.

Howard suffered a Grade 1 strain of his left knee in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals but didn't miss any games because of it. At the start of training camp, the Rockets had a plan to monitor his minutes in preseason games, and coach Kevin McHale said he wanted Howard to play in six of the eight games.

When Howard suffered some stiffness on the right side of his back after the preseason opener, the team decided to be cautious with him.

Howard's current issue isn't related to the back surgery he had before the 2012-13 season with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I had surgery on the left side on my back, but that was almost three years ago," he said. "There is tightness [right in my lower back. Anybody knows about sports and playing a lot of basketball you use your hips and legs a lot and, unfortunately for me, I use mine more than most people.

Just my hips and everything got tight from doing a lot of work and working out all summer, and it's different than training camp work. So my body just reacted to it. It's not anything structurally wrong with my back."

Last edited:
Rockets announced today that the team has waived guards Will Cummings and Denzel Livingston, center Jeremy Tyler and forward Chris Walker

There was a hilarious yet accurate tweet saying the game was in hand until TJones kept shooting and kept missing :lol: there were multiple bricks whether 3s or layups, dude basically killed the team. Not going up strong for shots til it was too late. There was some good pretty much for a late of other guys until the game got out of hand. Bev hitting 3s, Ariza and Brewer making an impact, and Harrell being very active. He's not gonna hit any threes, but it'll be great if he could seamlessly replace Josh Smith on the boards and dunking.

Back
Top Bottom