Houston Rockets Thread - Preseason vs Spurs (Friday)

View media item 1713322
Literally anything is better than our current ones. I'm willing to roll with either one. But honestly, the ketchup & mustard alts we use now would easily do the trick. They're the right cut and everything. I don't see why we couldn't go with those, or the same cut as those.

black jersey will be copped come 2016 
pimp.gif

black ones are decent, better than our main jerseys. greys trash - looks like practice jerseys.. red ones are meh, need to ditch the damn sleeves.

I lowkey forgot Marcus Thornton was signed here because of all the fanfare after Ty Lawson got signed :lol: :lol:

Also, Rockets signed center Jeremy Tyler to a training camp deal. He's been bouncing around for awhile from the D-League to overseas since 2009.

View media item 1729146View media item 1729148View media item 1729149View media item 1729150View media item 1729151
The Houston Rockets start training camp on Tuesday, Sept. 29th. On Monday, they released their 2015 training camp roster.

Along with the roster the Rockets GM Darryl Morey announced they signed center Jeremy Tyler to the team. Tyler was drafted 29th in the 2011 NBA Draft. Tyler spent last season with Shanxi Zhongyu of the Chinese Basketball Association. He started all six games for Dallas in the 2015 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, averaging 11.8 ppg and 8.3 rpg.

Here is the everyone on the Rockets 2015 Training Camp Roster:

NO. NAME POS.
1 Trevor Ariza F
2 Patrick Beverley G
33 Corey Brewer F
15 Clint Capela C
4 Will Cummings G
7 Sam Dekker F
13 James Harden G
35 Montrezl Harrell F
12 Dwight Howard C
6 Terrence Jones F
3 Ty Lawson G
9 Denzel Livingston G
32 K.J. McDaniels G-F
20 Donatas Motiejunas F-C
42 Joshua Smith C
31 Jason Terry G
10 Marcus Thornton G
50 Jeremy Tyler C
5 Chris Walker F

Rockets have more minutes in store for Capela

Starting at center, 6-10 from Geneva, Switzerland, No. 15, Clint Capelaaaaaaaaa.

Not Dwight Howard.

That won't last long, and if Howard and the Rockets are more fortunate than last season, it won't be repeated often.

But on opening night, when Howard serves his one-game suspension for excessive flagrant fouls in the playoffs last season, Capela will likely get the first start of his NBA career.

If Capela's name is announced Oct. 28 at Toyota Center when the Rockets face the Denver Nuggets, it would say something about Howard's situation and Donatas Motiejunas' status as he recovers from back surgery. But it would also be a statement about the Rockets' 21-year-old center and his rapid growth from long-term project to Howard's primary backup.

"For me, it's hard to focus on that right now because I'm really focused on the training camp, getting better every day," Capela said. "But I think it is good for me. It is a good change. Right now, I have to focus on the right now. I'm going to get there, but I'm not there yet. I will be ready.

The Rockets head to a back-to-back to open their preseason schedule - they visit Memphis on Tuesday and host Dallas on Wednesday - with Capela likely to get a good taste of responsibilities waiting for him on opening night.

Within a week, when the Rockets are halfway through the preseason schedule, Capela will likely have more playing time this preseason than he had all last regular season with the Rockets.

Typical rookie woes

"It's way different for me," Capela said. "Last year, I was hurt. My groin. Mentally, it was hard for me to come to the team, being a rookie and not being able to play with my teammates. So that is way different."

He spent most of last season with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, and even that was more than expected on draft night, when the Rockets were thought to be choosing Capela with the 25th pick of the 2014 draft as a player to stash in Europe for at least one season.

Capela was determined to make the jump, and the Rockets were on board with his developing in McAllen. But when the injury absences to the Rockets' big men were unrelenting, from the season's fifth game on, Capela was brought up initially as an additional practice body and eventually as a significant part of the rotation.

He averaged the same 7.5 minutes in his 17 playoff games as he had in 12 regular-season games, but that was playing time that mattered. In the regular season, he was generally just filling in. McHale initially laughed off the idea Capela would be in the rotation, but when he showed enough, his role and production increased.

The Rockets averaged 84 points per 100 possessions when Capela was on the floor in the regular season, 133 in the postseason. He made 67.7 percent of his shots in the playoffs, and after his disastrous 0-for-15 start from the free-throw line in the regular season, he made 51.7 percent of his foul shots in the playoffs.

Most of all, his postseason playing time offered an intense crash course on playing in the NBA.

D-League behind him

"Since I've been in the D-League to the NBA playoffs seems like a long way to me," Capela said. "Even in the playoffs, I was just trying to stay serious in what I was doing, to listen. I did a really good job of listening to what they told me, because I knew I was the youngest on the team.

"In playoffs, everything is about details, so I was really trying to listen, learn, watch a lot of videos, understand what the other team was doing, what they were trying to do against us in the playoffs. I did great."

He spent most of the offseason in Houston, working out six days each week to add nearly 20 pounds of strength. The Rockets believe he will continue to fill out a 240-pound frame. He worked on his free-throw shooting and his touch in the lane, with Howard saying Capela needs to hone his jump hook because he won't be getting his usual dunks in practices when matched up against him.

Howard gives advice

"He's learned the best thing to do is work on his hook shots," Howard said. "Those dunks won't happen. I like the way he's handling things, heading into practice with a worker's mentality. He's working as hard as he can. That's what's going to make the difference for him."

A year ago, Capela was not even on the court, and when he was cleared, he was quickly sent to the D-League. But even there, he did not do something he will likely do with the Rockets this season: start the season opener.

Back
Top Bottom