Houston Rockets waive Gerald Green

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5603689.html

March 8, 2008, 12:55PM
Rockets sign Rice product Harris, release Green
Forward signed for depth with Landry injured

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

With surging rookie forward Carl Landy out for tonight's game against the New Orleans Hornets, the Rockets moved quickly to shore up the thinning ranks of their frontcourt.

The Rockets signed former Rice forward and fan favorite Mike Harris, who impressed in training camp this season, to a 10-day contract, releasing guard Gerald Green to make room on the roster for Harris. Landry has developed swelling in his left knee and will be evaluated further. He bruised the knee against Indiana on Wednesday, but played the next night in Dallas with little difficulty.

"We're making this move because of concern about tonight," Rockets vice president of basketball operations Sam Hinkie said. "We're making this move because Mike Harris is someone we've always liked. We need live bodies, and he's more than just a live body."

The Rockets also signed center Justin Williams to a 10-day contract on Friday. But without Landry - who has averaged 13.8 points on 68.4 percent shooting since Yao Ming went out for the season - the Rockets could be very short-handed in frontcourt scoring, with only Luis Scola and Steve Novak considered scoring options at the power forward or center positions.

"(Harris) is a guy we've liked for a long time," Hinkie said. "We thought played very well for us. He brings a level of energy, toughness and athleticism and we like his rebounding. Our coaches always liked him and are very positive on him, as well as was the staff on basketball ops side. We targeted him, as someone that we if needed help, he'd be on the top of the list."

damn.. that was pretty unexpected
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

damnit C'MOOON... He's still gonna become a 26 6 and 5 player one day I don't care what anyone says.. damn I was hopin he would get schooled alittle by T-Mac and finally live up to his potential.

He got waived cuz Carl Landry is out and we are weak inside, So we signed 2 guys to 10 day contracts (Mike Harris and Justin Williams).

People are thinking he will re-sign at the end of those 10 day contracts... calm down big mike... he's still part of the Rockets future. The Yao injury andnow Landry injury have left us extra thin inside.

Originally Posted by HtownRox14

He got waived cuz Carl Landry is out and we are weak inside, So we signed 2 guys to 10 day contracts (Mike Harris and Justin Williams).

People are thinking he will re-sign at the end of those 10 day contracts... calm down big mike... he's still part of the Rockets future. The Yao injury and now Landry injury have left us extra thin inside.

that's a good point....

I really can't see any other reason why they'd waive him so soon.....

It's crazy how prior to being drafted he was considered a top 10 pick, slipped to 17 I believe and now has been on 3 teams in his short career. All hope isnot lost for him. Assuming he does not re-sign with Houston, he needs to try and catch on with a team where he can get enough playing time to shine.

dp, what about Green on the Warriors?
eek.gif

But yeah, he needs to go somewhere where he can develop his game. And I don't mean the D League either.

Originally Posted by Icrashdemboardz

damnit C'MOOON... He's still gonna become a 26 6 and 5 player one day I don't care what anyone says.. damn I was hopin he would get schooled a little by T-Mac and finally live up to his potential.

roll.gif

damnit C'MOOON... He's still gonna become a 26 6 and 5 player one day I don't care what anyone says.. damn I was hopin he would get schooled a little by T-Mac and finally live up to his potential.
That's just it though...Potential only brings you so far. If potential was the only factor for success then there would be a lot of greatplayer around. His poor attitude/work ethic outweighs his potential.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

That's just it though...Potential only brings you so far. If potential was the only factor for success then there would be a lot of great player around. His poor attitude/work ethic outweighs his potential.

He has a poor attitude/work ethic? I'm not doubting it, but if there's an article i'd like to read it.

he needs to go to a team that can teach him how to play basketball and not just stand around the 3 point line waiting for the ball.

maybe the spurs? he can learn from manu, finley, bowen, barry, udoka how to play on the wing.

He has a poor attitude/work ethic? I'm not doubting it, but if there's an article i'd like to read it.
I guess I cannot really attest to his work ethic cause I don't really know for sure, but from what I've heard I guess.

As far as his attitude, It may have been different once he arrived in Houston, or when he was with Boston, but even just asking the Minnesota organization fora trade because of lack of playing time is ridiculous.

dudes saying he needs to join other teams
smh.gif

they just dropping him until those 10 day contracts are up. dude is going to re-sign. he's not going anywhere.
laugh.gif

wasn't the d-league created specifically for players like him .. i still don't get y instead of waiving towels he don't get sent there or evenbetter the NBA sets up a system like football where franchises could loan they're young guys to european teams

Back
Top Bottom