Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

Peep your so right about that, as soon as Joe caught that ball the line opened up like the Red Sea :smh: I was like **** he's gonna take it.

Honestly they need to sit down with Wade and see what's more functional for the unit, reed moving inside ( like someone mentioned ) and bringing in a OLB or saying ******g it and letting Mercilus start :\

I hope Cush isn't that hurt man :smh: :frown:

Torn ACL for Cush...out for season smh.

Tough break for you Texans

Last edited:
Torn ACL for Cush...out for season smh.

Tough break for you Texans

tumblr_mbfta1aoRJ1qzqdem.gif

I had friends that went, I would've gone but I have this thing called school :rolleyes

Feels terrible, I knew over 10+ people that made the trip from Houston to NJ just to watch the Texans and sadly, I wasn't one of them, damn you school, can't wait til i'm done and making some cash to afford trips to Lambeau, Foxboro, etc.

I had friends that went, I would've gone but I have this thing called school :rolleyes

Feels terrible, I knew over 10+ people that made the trip from Houston to NJ just to watch the Texans and sadly, I wasn't one of them, damn you school, can't wait til i'm done and making some cash to afford trips to Lambeau, Foxboro, etc.

I saw them I think :nerd: they were sitting in the level under me :pimp:

Does that group go to alot of games or is it anone time thing :nerd: wouldn't mind the pats game :nerd:

I want to make some trips to the Texans on the road. I'm already planning something for when we play the Cowboys in Dallas. I think that's two years away. I'm not sure how the scheduling works.

^yea that would be 2 years away. Whatever teams you play in one year are the same teams you play 4 years from now (+/- division winners)

Damn Cush gone is Huge. Yall got a ton of talent on a good system on D though. Anxious to see the next three to four weeks for this team. Got the Pack, Ravens, and Bears comin up.

Texans cut Trindon Holliday, sign linebacker Barrett Ruud

"When Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he wasn’t happy with Trindon Holliday’s punt and kickoff returns, he meant it.

Holliday was placed on waivers today when the Texans also placed inside linebacker Brian Cushing on injured reserve.

To replace Cushing, the Texans signed eight-year veteran inside linebacker Barrett Ruud, a former second-round pick in 2005. Ruud will provide depth behind starters Bradie James and Tim Dobbins.

The Texans also promoted offensive guard Cody White from the practice squad to the 53-man roster.

Holliday returned three kicks for touchdowns during the preseason but he hadn’t been able to generate any of that magic in the regular season. He was averaging 9.2 yards on punt returns and 19.4 on kickoff returns.

The Texans have one of the league’s best kickoff returners in safety Danieal Manning, but last year, they didn’t want to risk him getting injured on that return team. Veteran running back Justin Forsett and rookie receiver Keshawn Martin could be the leading candidates to return kickoffs.

Martin also could return punts. Shiloh Keo also returned some punts as a rookie last season."

I knew Barrett was on the radar, and also figured Holliday would be the odd man out.

I'm cool with Dobbins, he does work. Bradie James...dropping back in coverage...:x :rolleyes. I know nothing about Ruud expect he seemed like a stud in 5 years w/ Tampa, but I'm curious as to way he's been on 4 different teams since...

And I don't put all the blame on Holliday. We've played awful on special teams both blocking and coverage, and sense all of the special teams guys are healthy, it may also be a coaching thing. We've had subpar special teams since...well, since Andre Davis has been gone. Outside of spurts from Jacoby in '10 and '11, it's been 2 years and 4 games of bad ST play. Slaton & McManis were terrible. It's very unlikely that they'll have Manning do KR even though he's the best at it, but you don't want your starting safety doing that, especially after his injury against the Titans last year. I'd prefer Forsett to take over on KR and maybe PR til further notice.

Last edited:
LOL predictions came true of signing Rudd and cutting Holliday.

I wanted Holliday to do good, but man, overall our Special Teams isn't cutting it.

And Cushing is right, we still are winning the Super Bowl.

I would love to know what happened to Ruud, dude was doing work for TB

I'm guessing injuries took away from his production, the guy is only 29. He has to have something left.

Tate, Jean on schedule to play Sunday night

Safety Quintin Demps, who’s still recovering from surgery on his forearm, was the only player who didn’t participate in practice at least on a limited basis.

Running back Ben Tate participated in the light practice.

“We were very light in practice today,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “It was kind of more teaching, but Ben did take his load today. My expectations are that Ben will ready to go Sunday.”

Receiver Lestar Jean has returned from arthroscopic knee surgery.

“He probably was very close to playing last week, but it was our plan all along to push him back another week,” Kubiak said. “He was full-go today, and I expect him to be ready, also.”

Missing Cushing
Quarterback Matt Schaub may have spoken for all of his teammates when he talked about the loss of linebacker Brian Cushing.

“Obviously, it’s a very tough situation,” Schaub said. “It’s the harsh reality of football when things like this happen. It’s a tough deal. I know Brian’s going do whatever he can to come back even better than he was.

“He’s one of the hardest workers I’ve ever been around, one of the best players I’ve ever been around. It just means that everyone is going to have to pick it up a little bit more.”

Andre is OK with role
Andre Johnson would rather win than catch passes, so he’s happy with the 5-0 record even if he has only 17 catches for 283 yards.

Coach Gary Kubiak said it’s up to him, as the play caller, to get Johnson the ball more.

“It’s something you like to hear, but I can only do my best with the opportunities that I get,” Johnson said. “We have a bunch of guys who can step up and make plays. We’ve been running the ball real well. When you’re running the ball, a lot of times you don’t have to throw it.”

Yesssss :pimp: :pimp: Tate and Jean are gonna pay dividends.

Dre had gotten to the point in his career where he wants a chip :pimp:

I would love for him to get one, I've never heard a single bad thing about him and never heard him complain about the squad :pimp:

McClain’s guide to the game against the Packers

Five questions going into tonight’s game

1. If Matt Schaub can’t get Andre Johnson more involved in the passing gamed, what will he do? Johnson had one catch for 15 yards against the Jets. He has 17 catches for 283 yards and two touchdowns this season. If the Packers are able to shut down Johnson, Schaub still has a lot of weapons. Tight end Owen Daniels is off to the best start of his career, with 23 receptions for 311 yards and three touchdowns. He looks quicker, faster and more sure of himself than any time since he underwent major knee surgery in the 2009 season. Daniels has been blocking a lot because the running game has been so productive. He excels on crossing routes and finding open spots in zone coverage. He has been excellent after the catch, too. Get the University of Wisconsin graduate the ball as much as possible.

2. Will the Texans be able to run the ball against the Packers like they ran against the Jets? Even though coach Gary Kubiak likes to come out with Matt Schaub throwing to get him into a nice rhythm, his first priority is to run the ball to control the clock. The Texans rank sixth in rushing with 143 yards a game, and they’re first with a 35:29 average time of possession. The Packers are 17th against the run, allowing 114.2 yards. Defensive coordinator Dom Capers, the former Texans head coach, will have a game plan to try to contain Arian Foster, who has averaged 99.2 yards a game rushing over the last three seasons. He’s on a pace for an NFL-record 422 carries. The key is for Ben Tate to take some of the load off Foster like he did in the rout of Jacksonville.

3. If the game comes down to a passing duel between Matt Schaub and Aaron Rodgers, who do you think will win? Schaub is on a roll, with nine consecutive victories dating to last season. He has 13 touchdown passes and three interceptions in that span. This season, Schaub has been exceptional with the ball. He’s throwing it away when receivers aren’t open. He has two interceptions and has been sacked three times. If the blockers can keep players like outside linebacker Clay Matthews off Schaub, he could have an exceptional game. Rodgers is coming off the greatest season in history — 45 touchdowns, six interceptions and a 122 rating. This season, he’s hindered by injuries to receiver Greg Jennings, a porous offensive line and a running game that generated only 95 yards per game before losing Cedric Benson for the year. Rodgers has been sacked 21 times. The Texans have a plus-13 sack differential. Expect Rodgers to make big plays as a runner, too.

4. Will left tackle Duane Brown be able to contain Clay Matthews? Brown is having another outstanding season. He has allowed only two sacks in two seasons. Matthews, who leads the NFL with eight sacks, is a relentless edge rusher who never lets up. He has developed moves, and he also moves around. Matthews has the same kind of motor as J.J. Watt, who has 71/2 sacks. Brown is smart, quick and experienced. He can move his feet and he has great hands. He doesn’t get bull-rushed because he plants his feet solidly and doesn’t get knocked off balance. If he gets beat with an initial move, he’s good at redirecting. This is going to be the best and most interesting matchup of the game.

5. With Trindon Holliday being waived and claimed by Denver, what can we expect from the Texans’ return teams? If the blocking isn’t better for rookie receiver Keshawn Martin, who’ll return kickoffs and punts, than it was for Holliday, the Texans still will be among the worst return teams in the league. One reason the Texans drafted Martin is because they believe he can become a terrific return man. They planned to use him in preseason, but Holliday was extraordinary, with three touchdowns. They don’t have to have touchdowns, but they do want better field position. The Packers have been outstanding on punt coverage, allowing an average of 6 yards. Their kickoff coverage has been mediocre, surrendering an average of 27 yards. Special-teams coordinator Joe Marciano said the Texans returned to the basics in practice. We’ll find out if that works any better.

Texans players to watch

Tim Dobbins
Inside linebacker
No player is under more pressure to produce than Dobbins, 29, a seven-year veteran who’s replacing the injured Brian Cushing. The key is if the punishing tackler can drop into coverage and stick with receivers like Cushing did.

Johnathan Joseph
Cornerback
He had a tough first half against the Jets. With the Packers missing top receiver Greg Jennings, Joseph will draw Jordy Nelson, who had 16 touchdowns last season but only one this season, or James Jones, who has five TDs.

Packers players to watch

Aaron Rodgers
Quarterback
Rodgers has been under tremendous pressure from pass rushers and has been sacked 21 times. He has 10 touchdowns and four interceptions. He’s also the team’s second-leading rusher and has to help the offense as a runner, too.

Bryan Bulaga and Josh Sitton
Right tackle/right guard
Bulaga and Sitton have the unenviable task of trying to control defensive end J.J. Watt. He plays left end in the three-man front and slides inside in passing situations. Bulaga and Sitton must play well.

McClain’s prediction
Texans 27, Packers 24

Last edited:
i hate john mcclain. you should follow him on twitter during games, he's so reactionary. it's so damn annoying

I've seen some of his tweets, nah I'm good :lol: Him and Jerome Soloman are probably the worst writers we have. McClain is such a company man, and Soloman has a habit of omitting facts.

Antoine Caldwell stinks.

For about 4 weeks now Kareem has been playing at a higher level than JJoe.

I miss Cushing already.

Back
Top Bottom