Houston Texans Thread [23/24] #StroudBoys

At the beginning of the play you’ll notice Stills signal to Watson the linebacker out in the slot. The linebacker jumps to the LOS before the snap, but Watson makes no adjustments to it whatsoever. At about :20 you’ll see Watson even look at the linebacker crowding the line. I would have liked to see D4 shift the line to account for him, or adjust Stills route in the slot. He doesn’t make the changes, nearly gets sacked, and somehow flips to Hyde for a no yard gain.

It’s 3rd and 19. If the protection holds up, he might have a bomb to Hopkins at the top of the screen. Howard and Mancz struggle with the stunt, and Hopkins has start moving in the pocket. But remember, it’s 3rd and 19. The conversion rate is minimal, so once he feels the pressure he has to get rid of it. Duke is in the flat with the closest defender being 10-12 yards away from him. Get it to him, let him try and make a man miss, and if you don’t get it, you still help the field position game. Watson instead steps right into a sack. It’s hard to be upset because these are situations where he usually does something crazy and creates a big play, but sometimes you just gotta take the safe play.

Hyde just ran for 9. Ball around midfield. Perfect time to take a shot play. We even bring in Roderick Johnson at TE to be a de facto 6th OL. Erik Reid is in the box (foreshadowing to the 4th where he causes a fumble) and ends up rushing the passer. Watson has instant pressure in his face from the rush, climbs the pocket but runs into Tytus Howard. Does a good job of keeping his balance but forces a ball down the field to a heavily covered Nuk (should be defensive holding but no call). Going back to the theme of hitting check downs, Hyde is wide open in front of him with plenty of space ahead. I like Watson keeping his eyes downfield, but at some point you have to cut bait on a play, hit your checkdown, and move to the next play. Here, it would have been a big gain. (Here I feel a little nit picky).

This is a predetermined throw the whole way. That’s the only explanation I can think of. At no point is this route open. The corner has inside leverage, Watson hits his back foot, and just fires on the slant.

Watson locks into Fuller again and tries to hit him for 6. I appreciate the effort to get 6, but it’s nearly picked off because there’s such a tight window to make that work. It’s worse seeing Nuk flash wide open in front of him. Have to start taking the simple stuff.

^Appreciate all that info there

The Texans signed tight end Jerell Adams to the practice squad Wednesday as he cleared waivers.
Adams had been inactive the past few games. Adams is a former New York Giants sixth-round draft pick from South Carolina. He has 24 career receptions for 214 yards and one touchdown.

The Texans also officially signed former Seattle Seahawks offensive tackle Elijah Nkansah to the practice squad following his Tuesday tryout. Nkansah is a former undrafted free agent from Toledo.
The rookie has played in games for the Seahawks due to injuries, clearing out a lane for a touchdown run last year by Chris Carson. The 6-5, 315-pounder was signed out of college by the Tennessee Titans. Nkansah started for three seasons in college. Two of them were at right tackle and the other was at left tackle. - CHRON

3-2 heading into KC looks much better than 2-3. Would be nice to start off hot today. I feel like this game will be similar to the Chargers game, just need that same result.

This was a thoroughly satisfying game from the second half on

Watson didn’t get touched, the running game kept the Falcons on their toes, Fuller was roasting guys and could actually had more, and the defense ramped it up on Ryan. Sucks the Chiefs couldn’t take care of business, but we need to take advantage of whatever Chiefs team shows up next week.

Hope the offense can perform like this against a good defense. Atlanta’s Def is absolutely terrible.

Secondary still going to be a major concern.

Really good signature win yesterday. They overcame a lot of stuff and managed to pull it off. Shout out to Omenihu and McKinney for completely changing the momentum of the game, and for the offense in general on sustaining multiple long drives. Gotta get the holding/kicking on the same page. Too many missed extra points and kicks in general.

Glad it’s just a sprain instead of a tear. Just sucks he’s going down and we were finally getting consistent on the line. Roderick stepped in and was solid though.

Rumor going around Kelly has started calling the plays on offense the last couple weeks. If so, hope it stays that way.

Rumor going around Kelly has started calling the plays on offense the last couple weeks. If so, hope it stays that way.

as far as i know, this is false. BoB was calling plays last game. He's mic'd up vs the falcons and he was calling plays then too.

You can be mic’ed up and still throw in your suggestion for what plays to be run. I mean at the end of the day, he has final say. But if you watch the series of play calling the past two weeks, to the play calling prior, it appears vastly different.

it's not. we still run heavy on 1st. we've just made fundamental changes where we strive to get the ball out quick, and D4 is doing it. it kills yall to credit BoB.

They ran pretty heavy yesterday because KC run defense is absolutely terrible. Lol but sure dude. You seem to be bending over backward for dude who has yet to really prove anything in this league yet. Sorry for those of us who are still suspect of a coach who has been pretty mediocre, who has made pretty boneheaded decisions his whole tenure here.

It's so hard for you to say "he's coached the offense well these past 2 weeks" that you'd rather run with an unsubstantiated rumor that an entirely different person is now calling the plays when there is not a single credible person who has reported that.

You’re jumping for joy over two weeks, when guys whole tenure here has been the definition of mediocre. Has he made adjustments? I sure hope so. I’m not going to sit here though with rose colored glasses on. Guy has to do it consistently for the whole year and the big games that matter most.

Looks like they’ll be in the market for another DB. There’s no way they go with Lonnie/Gaines with the next few matchups they have.

Last edited:
Definitely are going to need help in the secondary’s. One part of our defense that scares me the most.

Back
Top Bottom