How Big Is Your Music Collection?

I was once the proud owner of almost 12,000 songs.

Oneday I thought I was formatting my 2gb card for my phone....nope, it was music harddrive. All gone. Unrecoverable, believe me, I tried.

So I'm currently in the process of re-building. My current collection is all in AIFF lossless format though...MP3's are for the birds. There's avery noticeable difference, especially with songs containing live instrumentation (rock, jazz, etc). It sucks having to buy CD's again but it's worthit when listening to the music.

73o6x55.jpg

dom.

only 30 something gb now

had way more but instead of keeping stuff i'd delete once i threw it on to my ipod and that got stolen so 80 gb gone.

5500 songs/31gb, I only keep songs I truely enjoy from start to finish.

50% Hip Hop, 15% R&B, 10% Hispanic, then alot of Rock, Alternative, Classical.

I have about 35 albums in my unheard folder & I also plan on deleting a portion of the crappy Hip Hop songs that I got.

I'ld like to d/l more Flac-format music, but I think Songbird is the only good music player that can play it. I believe there's a 3rdparty itunes plug-in for it, but Apple needs to get up w/ the times.

I have about 4200 songs on my itunes, but I only download free mixtapes, so most of my collection is from buying albums and uploading them.

yall only talking gb/tracks on your ipod or pc???

if yall talking about overall,, i might have that. gotta take pics again,,, my whole living room is wall units, and cases of cd's tapes and records.

which reminds me,,, i need to find "something new" by grand daddy IU on record. some of yall dont know about that.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

I was once the proud owner of almost 12,000 songs.

Oneday I thought I was formatting my 2gb card for my phone....nope, it was music harddrive. All gone. Unrecoverable, believe me, I tried.

So I'm currently in the process of re-building. My current collection is all in AIFF lossless format though...MP3's are for the birds. There's a very noticeable difference, especially with songs containing live instrumentation (rock, jazz, etc). It sucks having to buy CD's again but it's worth it when listening to the music.

dom.

You should look into encoding your music with .flac...it's still a lossless file, but compressed and smaller compared to AIFF

I have some tutorials if you want, what's your OS?

NachoBroadway - Use VLC to play your .flac files on OS X

And I'm curious (this is to both of you), as I've never been much of a lossless fan, do you really find there to be a noticeable difference betweenlossless and a high quality mp3? If so, what kind of system are you playing it on?

lossless #%#% is just too big of a file. takes too long to download and it's harder to find. i've never really gotten into all the higher quality #%#%,cause i really can't tell a difference, especially with how loud i play music in my car anyways.

i've got my music scattered around between my computer's HD and my external. my guess is i have around 13-14,000 songs. i don't listen to probly atleast like 4,000 of those and i should probly delete em, but +$@$ it.

you know somethings wrong with the music industry when u measure you music collection by gigabytes

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

lossless #%#% is just too big of a file. takes too long to download and it's harder to find. i've never really gotten into all the higher quality #%#%, cause i really can't tell a difference, especially with how loud i play music in my car anyways.

500GB external solves that problem

And if you're playing music loud in a car with a system, you're actually not doing it justice. Take a CD you like, rip it to your computer as anmp3, then burn a CD-R. Compare the original store bought CD to the mp3 CD, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a noticeable difference. Forheadphones and around the house mp3 if fine, but when I'm playing something through 2 12s I definitely prefer a lossless sound.

you know somethings wrong with the music industry when u measure you music collection by gigabytes
Wow...I didn't even realize it. It's truly a different generation now.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wildout4

I feel you. I am sitting on 857 cd's and counting. I will post pics when I get home.

you're probly right Matt, but i'm stuck in my ways. same with iTunes (and probably a lot of other programs) being better than WMP. i just won'tswitch over cause i'm too used to it.

i have close to 600 gbs of music (i converted all my cds as well) i have about 100 records, 50 tapes left. i use mp3 cause i have most of my stuff on theretail cds so when i want the og quality ill just pull it from storage.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

you're probly right Matt, but i'm stuck in my ways. same with iTunes (and probably a lot of other programs) being better than WMP. i just won't switch over cause i'm too used to it.

I'm just saying you should try out what I said, maybe the bass is waaaaay cleaner than ever before and then you go roll with it...If not, keep doingwhat you're doing

And
eek.gif
mrXdaboss 600GB? How are you encoding your CDs?

pimp.gif
comp is gettin slower with every new addittion had to get a fewjump drives n an external hard drive. It was all worth it tho. I feel your pain illuztrious cuz it happened to me TWICE
mad.gif
frown.gif
I too was going down the path of 15,000 but then when itunes asked me if I was sure I wanted to delete all my files for some reason instead ofclicking cancel I clicked keep files and albums without .rar back up files were gone
smh.gif
I took like a 65% blow to my library. So I had to start workin my way backthen not too long ago my whole comp crashed, luckily my boy was able to recover all(still dont have it back yet) the shhh is so aggravating and depressing atthe same time. The thing is my collection was mostly hip hop with great R & B, motown classics, and then a couple of classic rock albums. A lot of hip hopalbums I couldnt remember too its a long road back to recovery.

This is something I wouldnt wish on my worse enemy

smokin.gif

I hope you meant that in the way that the record companies are still in using their antiquated ways.

MTV just posted a great article on how 2007 was the year that themusic industry broke. 2nd installment article.
[h1]Madonna Ditches Label, Radiohead Go Renegade: The Year The Music Industry Broke
In the first installment of our three-part series on the future of music, we take a look back at what went wrong andwhen.[/h1]Film industry is doing great, Video Game industry is doing great, why can't they embrace the digital purchase experience?...

And
eek.gif
mrXdaboss 600GB? How are you encoding your CDs?

It took me about to 4 months to get all my cd 's in mp3 format. 320kps. i wanted to do flac but that would have took upwards of 1.5 TBs to do aint noway im gonna kick out that kinda space for the quality when i have the og cd. i went digital so that if my disc get scratched i can still listen to my tunes (igot two kids one of which is crazy bout music already). my next task is my records then tapes

This is my album folder and I have different folder for singles, instrumentals, classic soul that I've downloaded from Limewire.

89q2l2q.jpg

yall should check out Media monkey thats what i use for my music that and j river media center

close to 300 gbs and counting woulf of had alot more but two of my hds crashed

as far as cds a lil over 1000 and a couple hundred 12" records

Back
Top Bottom