How come Em can _ but Jay can't _?

It really comes down to two things.

1) Jay has so much material, it's like alright already. Em, on the other hand only has like four albums.
2) Also, Jay has successfully changed his image, but continues to rap like he's the same ol' Jay. Em on the other hand has maintained his "I havea few screws loose" image.

One is really self explanatory, but If you don't see two I'd be willing to go into further detail.

I won't even start with all the double standards held TIGHT as %+%% in hip hop.

Its not just eminem fans either
smh.gif

I don't think anyone is letting Em "get away" with anything. He became a shadow of himself as an artist, and folks are just happy to hear himactually spitting like he used to again.

As far as Jay not getting away with it, I don't really see that either. I guess depending on what crowd you ask, American Gangster was pretty widelyaccepted as a great album. The only problem I have with Jay is that he's just not the rapper he used to be. Listen to that Grammy Family freestyle and giveme one instance since then where he's been on that same level.

Personally, I'd tend to agree with JR. It doesn't bother me that much, as far as what they rap about...as long as they do it well. With that saidthough, if Em comes with this next album on some Kim steez, I'll be disappointed. He started to grow as an artist on Em Show and had flashes of that onEncore as well (Toy Soldiers, Mosh, etc.) so we all know he has the capacity to make serious tracks.

look at it like this way, everyone has stories. em isnt going to screw a mannequin but why is his stories of pill popping at his age unbelievable? dont any ofyou watch tv/news/EHollywood stories? a TON of actors/musicians are junkies and pill poppers (See: Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger...). Why is it so hard tobelieve Em still pops pills too? just because hes sitting on 100 million doesnt mean he cant pop vicodin or xanax. wayne does. I believe Em does have a screwloose even if its just loose enough to think of these rhymes. Choking an 18 month old baby trachea/breakin 80 bones in its neck? who raps like that? I'm apharmacist, I see junkies every day and once you hit a certain age, you dont just magically stop taking drugs. if youre hooked, youre hooked.

whether you want to hear about his stories or drug abuse, i do believe his songs are still a little closer to home than when jay raps because we KNOW jay isntstandin on the corner movin weight anymore. hes dressing like a hypebeast taking pics with vince carter in europe. ems not gettin away with anything, hes justrappin about what he knows. he never claimed to be a gangster or a drug lord. hes just a white guy who hates his mom, wife, loves his daughter, proof, and doesdrugs.

with that little snippet of a song he just dropped, its easy to see Em still does have it. that flow and rhyme schemes are unparalleled.

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Because no one really talks about what Em talks about.
It's his own "thing" more or less.

Alot of artists rap about what Jay raps about, so it sounds "boring" and "old"

Thats a good point but shouldn't his mesage be maturing as he nears 40?

Why does he get a pass for talking about the same thing for so long?

If you want me to be honest, I think it' because Em's fan base developed because of his rap style and content. It's probably selfishness, but hegets the pass because his fans don't WANT him to mature. they like him how he is.

thats just em's style. if em rapped bout the same stuff as jay tho... itd be muuuuuuch hotter.

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

thats just em's style. if em rapped bout the same stuff as jay tho... itd be muuuuuuch hotter.
And if Jay rapped bout the same stuff as em he would be DMX

The thing about Em is that there is stuff that's real, but it's clear he's created fantastically dysfunctional characters and uses them as vehiclesfor very different subject matters. Think of it like Southpark, where Trey and Matt speak their minds through different characters, as deemed appropriate basedon the history of those characters.

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

Because Em is white so we can kinda see him doing that stuff...still.

Jay is worth damn near a billy...selling drugs isn't even a thought and hasn't been for quite some time.

*For the record, I never complained about either, rap about whatever you want...just do it well.
hes got like 25 million

ej205 wrote:
Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

And if Jay rapped bout the same stuff as em he would be DMX

laugh.gif
But to tell you the truth.Em doesn't seem like a happy dude.We sawhim when he was happy for a little while and his music did reflect that.Im talking about back when he was in his joking around stage.But I mean dude gotfat.Was depressed for so long.Even though he might not still be that person he was.He still seems like it.Plus when Em talks about these differentpersonality's it just comes off as characters in his head.Well at least it used to.I personally think American Gangster was a great album and have nocomplaints.As long as the music is still good it shouldn't matter.If it aint broke why fix it?

Jay sucks now because he dont rap about that stuff. As well as some other things but im saving that for a thread when I dont see a Jay Z thread after a coupleof days.

I said the same thing when dudes were begging for Jay to retire and calling him old, while at the same time begging for Dre
to drop Detox when he is about 5 years older that Jay is! People seem the hold Jay up to standards that they let other artists get
away with. If a pic came out of Jay kissing Biggs on the lips his career would be over, but Wayne does it and still manages to sell
a milli...I don't get it, Im sorry.

^^^ Jay's recent music is no where near as catchy as Wayne's, all in all, it's about the music

And Em rapping about crazy topics ISN'T immaturity, that's his sense of humor, idea of entertainment

As for Jay, I don't mind the drug talk but I understand other peoples complaints, you simply can't wear a suit on the cover of Forbes still talking ofdrug dealings without pissing broke people off

With that said, these 3 rappers get much radio play in my car

yeah those 10 songs are better than every rappers, except maybe 2 or 3, entire catalog ... point is, on talent alone you should be able to appreciate him as anartist ... ive never sold a brick but i can appreciate jeezy for what he does ... for anyone to say they dont mess with EM at all, to me, is just being biasedtowards him ... but then again maybe you just look for every song to have content which is fine, but in my opinion EM has mixed flow, delivery, content mainstream etc... better than any artist ever ...

Originally Posted by liveanddiewithdemboys

yeah those 10 songs are better than every rappers, except maybe 2 or 3, entire catalog ... point is, on talent alone you should be able to appreciate him as an artist ... ive never sold a brick but i can appreciate jeezy for what he does ... for anyone to say they dont mess with EM at all, to me, is just being biased towards him ... but then again maybe you just look for every song to have content which is fine, but in my opinion EM has mixed flow, delivery, content main stream etc... better than any artist ever ...

6bc35059e4ef61dc677e0b9c0c196fec7451ba1.pjpg

Why is it "safer" to say Jay-z is the best in the game than Eminem?

It doesn't matter what Em "can" get away with it. At the end of the day people are going to take Jay-Z over Em (at least on here thats how itis). They are 2 different artists. Me personally I'm a huge Em fan and a huge Jay fan but Jay has NEVER moved me by just listening in the way Em has. Ihonestly IMO I can make a mix CD about Em using nothing but his freestyles, unreleased tracks, diss tracks, and featured songs and like it better thanBlueprint, but thats just me.
grin.gif

And alot people on NT are frontin hardcore. In every hip-hop album thread you get a row of people shoutin out Resonable Doubt and or Illmatic...knowing damnwell half of the people on this board wouldn't be able to recite a verse from those albums if called on random.

JR Paperstacks wrote:

*For the record, I never complained about either, rap about whatever you want...just do it well.
QFT

-The Juice

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

i used to listen to em when i was younger and didnt have a need to relate to music... but now that i do have that need i just cant %%#+ wit that silly bs... i cant %%#+ wit that yellin bs no more ie busta and dmx either... i just grew out of alot of music... %@*! is corny to me...

i aint never sold a spec of white nothin but wit jeezy u relate to the hustler's mindstate... a grind dont have to b illegal... a hustle is a hustle...

eminem is all talent and potential... its like kobe goin to play and 1... its like ok thats nice but what can u REALLY do? %%#+ that meaningless wordplay and psycho rap... spit about some REAL LIFE %@*!...

Son....I think this is the first and the last time that I will agree with your opinion 100%.

Thats exactly how I feel about the topic.

Back
Top Bottom