How Come Handshakes with My White Friends Are Always Weird.

My man just wrote the law of handshake 
pimp.gif

I'm white and my go to is the standard high five followed by fist pound. This also seems to be the default of most of the other white people I associate with. Are we doing it wrong?

My personal fav is the "clap" followed by the finger lock in. My last school everyone was on the same page now it's just all over the place

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

I'm white and my go to is the standard high five followed by fist pound. This also seems to be the default of most of the other white people I associate with. Are we doing it wrong?

LOL.gif

Spoiler [+]
but seriously, i just keep it simple with dap to shoulder man hug. much of my friends ive known for a min, so ill dap em up with the shoulder. my girlfriend tried to dap me up once (white)....tried
laugh.gif
i thought it was cute

eek.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HOOD17

Drake pulling that Rocket Power
laugh.gif

I just say what's up and move on. I've dealt with this too many times. Especially with my black friends. I never understood why they shake your hand to say hello then a few minutes later when you agree on something and they hit you with the "YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING N#$%@" they feel the need to do it again. *kanye shrug*
roll.gif

Originally Posted by RavageBX

As someone mentioned earlier its really just a case of different upbringing. White people growing up learn maybe 2-3 handshakes. Formal, non-formal, and maybe opposite sex. Minorities coming from urban settings learn more like 8-10 handshakes. Lemme detail a few.

- Business handshake. We all know that one.
- The "I know you" dap. A regular two part dap from thumb to fingers.
- The "I know you and we cool like that" dap. Preceding the two part tap you get the chest to chest inward motion and after dap is finished there might be a slight lingering of the palms to establish genuineness.
- The "I'm carrying something in my hand" side fist bump. Not a straight on fist bump. It's usually the bottom of your fist around the wrist area or maybe even the forearm. If the entire right hand is occupied you get a "pardon my left" fist bump (not handshake).
- The "bout that life" dap. Any handshake with more than 3 parts or independent hand gestures.
- The "family" dap. Regular dap followed by a quick hug. Reserved only for those you would call brother, whether related or not.
- The "female I don't want to smash" dap. A softer version of the business handshake.
- The "female I do want to smash" dap. Soft handshake lingering by the lower palm area. If she's a jump you might even tickle the palm of her hand with your index finger so she knows what time it is lol.
- The "I don't want to spend mad time dapping a dozen dudes up" fist bump/palm slap. Self-explanatory. Fast and efficient.
- The "we just did the damn thing" triple palm slap. Usually reserved for accomplishing a noble feat such as destroying another team in basketball.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. The point is that I think we learn things different situationally. I feel like white ppl are only told to have a firm handshake. Outside of that their next go to move is a fist bump. Nothing in between, basically missing out on a plethora of daps necessary to avoid social awkwardness.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

you forgot the flirty dap with girls where you hold their hand extra long after

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

So I was kicking it with a few friends of mine last night and I began thinking about this topic last night... Whenever I see one of my friends or anyone that is white, 90% of the time it ends up being an awkward handshake unless I know them really well.

There is always some form of body language miscommunication and it just seems like we're never on the same on the page when it comes to the shake... But whats crazy is I never have this problem when it comes to my black, hispanic, or the few asian friends that I have.
laugh.gif

Does anyone know that feel? Or am I just reaching?
Maybe because you have no hands?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

EPIC greeting right there.  That's some movie type *%**.  

As someone mentioned earlier its really just a case of different upbringing. White people growing up learn maybe 2-3 handshakes. Formal, non-formal, and maybe opposite sex. Minorities coming from urban settings learn more like 8-10 handshakes. Lemme detail a few.

- The "I know you and we cool like that" dap. Preceding the two part tap you get the chest to chest inward motion and after dap is finished there might be a slight lingering of the palms to establish genuineness.
- The "I'm carrying something in my hand" side fist bump. Not a straight on fist bump. It's usually the bottom of your fist around the wrist area or maybe even the forearm. If the entire right hand is occupied you get a "pardon my left" fist bump (not handshake).
- The "bout that life" dap. Any handshake with more than 3 parts or independent hand gestures.
- The "family" dap. Regular dap followed by a quick hug. Reserved only for those you would call brother, whether related or not.
- The "female I don't want to smash" dap. A softer version of the business handshake.
- The "female I do want to smash" dap. Soft handshake lingering by the lower palm area. If she's a jump you might even tickle the palm of her hand with your index finger so she knows what time it is lol.
- The "I don't want to spend mad time dapping a dozen dudes up" fist bump/palm slap. Self-explanatory. Fast and efficient.
- The "we just did the damn thing" triple palm slap. Usually reserved for accomplishing a noble feat such as destroying another team in basketball.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. The point is that I think we learn things different situationally. I feel like white ppl are only told to have a firm handshake. Outside of that their next go to move is a fist bump. Nothing in between, basically missing out on a plethora of daps necessary to avoid social awkwardness.

the only way this could be more official is if it were written in stone
roll.gif

Originally Posted by sreggie101

LOL.gif

Spoiler [+]
but seriously, i just keep it simple with dap to shoulder man hug. much of my friends ive known for a min, so ill dap em up with the shoulder. my girlfriend tried to dap me up once (white)....tried
laugh.gif
i thought it was cute

Ayo 
roll.gif

I always shake white people's hands, even those I'm cool with in order to avoid all that awkward nonsense. I keep it simple with my boys, straight pound.

There's probably a few more I'm forgetting. The point is that I think we learn things different situationally. I feel like white ppl Oare only told to have a firm handshake. Outside of that their next go to move is a fist bump. Nothing in between, basically missing out on a plethora of daps necessary to avoid social awkwardness.

Shut it down

video demos? 
nerd.gif

LOL.gif

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif
i thought it was cute
Is that really what you thought I meant? Really? Epic movie greeting? Come on now guys.

LOL.gif

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif
i thought it was cute
Is that really what you thought I meant? Really? Epic movie greeting? Come on now guys.
When you mean high five do you mean the side-five and then the fist bump? Or an actual high five in the air and then the fist bump? Because that's what we're interpreting, hence the gif 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom