How come Tony Parker doesnt get mentioned as one of top pgs???

Originally Posted by EzFlash26

cuz he's not, not on that level anyway (CP3, Deron, Nash, etc).

And that Finals MVP was a joke...He's good, but he's on that second tier...

laugh.gif
Now a finals MVP is a joke? Niketalk sports forum is like comedyhour. You can go up and down and just find ridiculous comments. You dudes would rather average 10 assists in the regular season than perform at the highestlevel in the NBA finals.

Because he's not in the same category as the people you mentioned. CP3, Williams, Nash, all those dudes are true pass first point guards. When you ask whothe best PG is, people will put true PG ahead of scoring PG because they're doing what they're supposed to be doing.
If they were to say who's the best PG at scoring, then maybe Tony Parker will be up there.

He's top 5...you just don't hear his name because 1) the Spurs are far from popular and 2) not alot of people look at anything besides stats. Top 5 noquestion about that.

people I would take over Tony Parker:

1. Andre Miller
2. Monta Ellis (tho not a PG)
3. Jamal Tinsley
eek.gif

4. Terrance Ford

I won't even entertain debate with Nash, Paul, Williams, Kidd, Davis, Billups.

He's not sniffing top 5. He's tier 2...which isn't even a bad tier to be on considering all of the future HOFer PGs that are playing in the leagueright now. The pg position is pretty talent laden. Put him on any other team, and yea he will finish and score still, but it would be the most detrimentalthing for almost any team other than the Spurs. His skill set is not nearly as universal as all of the true PGs. He will still put up numbers, but its likeRichard Jefferson putting up big numbers. If that's your team's first option...you will struggle

I could care less about stat lines, this guy is a top PG in my book. He does what he has to for his team to win, and he does it well.

Proof? He has 3 championship rings. Yea his stats aren't on CP3 or Nash's level, but do they have rings? No one is saying that they would rather havehim than say Stockton in his prime. But he is on the right team and this is why he is good. Bill Simmons had a page about Rondo being damn good because of hisnew teammates, case in point, if he wasn't on that team surrounded by these players; he would not be the good PG he is now playing in the playoffs..

Stats don't mean anything if you can't win on the big stage. Parker has done it 3x.

He is a top PG.

Tony Parker's assist numbers are a little skewed some....

Unlike Nash, Paul, Kidd, etc., the offense doesn't run through him. He doesn't dominate the ball like those others do. The Spurs play Outside-In.I'm sure that if Parker was in an offense where he had to have the ball in his hands at all times he'd average more assists

dude has 3 rings, and they dont score alot, so therefore he doesnt have as many oppurtunities to average as many assist..

He's like 6th or 7th on my list of top PG's.

He's blessed to be in the perfect situation but he gets the job done. But with that said he's not top 5 (very close though).

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

1. Andre Miller
3. Jamal Tinsley
eek.gif

4. Terrance Ford

He's not sniffing top 5. He's tier 2...which isn't even a bad tier to be on considering all of the future HOFer PGs that are playing in the league right now. The pg position is pretty talent laden. Put him on any other team, and yea he will finish and score still, but it would be the most detrimental thing for almost any team other than the Spurs. His skill set is not nearly as universal as all of the true PGs. He will still put up numbers, but its like Richard Jefferson putting up big numbers. If that's your team's first option...you will struggle
laugh.gif
Parker scoring in the lane anytime he wants would bedetrimental to a team? That's a new one. That's like saying Nash averaging 11 assists a game is detrimental to his team cause he can't win achampionship.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

bc Mark Jackson(or whoever it was JVG?) didn't bring it up AGAIN until yesterday. this discussion occurred after last finals when he was named MVP too..

not that it's wrong to go with a point or agree, but don't you find it funny when a NT post is a continuation of an analyst's comments(disguised as an original thread without credit to the analyst who got you thinking?)

isn't this what was talked about last night at the end of the game on ESPN?
Yea your right..they were talking about it and it did get me thinking about how he's not usually even MENTIONED as an elite pg... I think itsunfair to judge Tony on his assists numbers cuz Duncan & Ginobili don't get huge numbers but they are at the elite levels are they're position...IMO you should get more credit for winning then putting up huge stats... The Spurs are like a machine this time of year....and the Pg's job is to make theoffense run efficiently and he does that...He's effect on offense and out of all the elite pg's he's the best defender..... If there is anyposition that should be graded on winning more than stats its the pg...

Originally Posted by truestt

I could care less about stat lines, this guy is a top PG in my book. He does what he has to for his team to win, and he does it well.

Proof? He has 3 championship rings. Yea his stats aren't on CP3 or Nash's level, but do they have rings? No one is saying that they would rather have him than say Stockton in his prime. But he is on the right team and this is why he is good. Bill Simmons had a page about Rondo being damn good because of his new teammates, case in point, if he wasn't on that team surrounded by these players; he would not be the good PG he is now playing in the playoffs..

Stats don't mean anything if you can't win on the big stage. Parker has done it 3x.

He is a top PG.

that has to be the dumbest logic I've heard since I've registered for Niketalk

I swear I was going to make this thread, same exact thread title when I woke up, but I was busy,
laugh.gif
. Sorta freaky.

HE GETS THE JOB DONE, HE HAS MORE RINGS THAN ANY PG IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW (doesn't he..?
laugh.gif
). There was reason why the Spurs didn't go after Kidd afew years back, and guess what? HE'S ONLY TWENTY-FIVE!!
eek.gif

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

1. Andre Miller
3. Jamal Tinsley
eek.gif

4. Terrance Ford

He's not sniffing top 5. He's tier 2...which isn't even a bad tier to be on considering all of the future HOFer PGs that are playing in the league right now. The pg position is pretty talent laden. Put him on any other team, and yea he will finish and score still, but it would be the most detrimental thing for almost any team other than the Spurs. His skill set is not nearly as universal as all of the true PGs. He will still put up numbers, but its like Richard Jefferson putting up big numbers. If that's your team's first option...you will struggle
Jamal Tinsley??..TJ Ford??..Andre Miller???Over Tony Parker
roll.gif
...what are you talking about...please explain that cuz that makes no sense at all..

And even Monte Ellis he's the same type of player on O as parker....amazing quickness and speed...great finisher...good mid range jump shooter...onlydifference is Parker is a better passer and he's D is better by far...could you imagine Parker in a gs type of offense with his speed and finishingability...he would put up crzy numers...

like JapanAir said, the crazy thing is he's only 25
eek.gif

how the hell does he seem like a solid vet already??? it seems like he's been doing his thing for forever

this guy is putting together one HELL of a career. he's only 25, what will he have done by the time he's 30???

when he's done playing, we'll look back and be like "WOW... this guy had 4-5 rings and a Finals MVP right under our noses"

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

eek.gif

how the hell does he seem like a solid vet already??? it seems like he's been doing his thing for forever

this guy is putting together one HELL of a career. he's only 25, what will he have done by the time he's 30???

when he's done playing, we'll look back and be like "WOW... this guy had 4-5 rings and a Finals MVP right under our noses"

Exactly, but according to some in this thread he's only a tier 2 player
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

eek.gif

Not trying to put any bad luck on him, but he could have something life-changing happen which could end his career and he'd still be a HoF candidate.You can say what you will about his numbers, but he gets the job done. Same with Duncan, which is why I praise them so much. The Spurs aren't flashy, butthey get the job done. I'm lucky to be a fan one of the only teams that's beat them in recent years.
laugh.gif
. But really, this guy has at least 10 goodyears ahead of him, and if he can keep up his agility, he's only going to get better, he's improved his game so much in such a short span of time. Heuse to be a jumpshooter, he used to take three's, he use to not be able to finish around the basket, but now he's excelled in all of those. The reasonhis stats don't shine is because they're such a well-balanced team. Duncan can go off for 35 one night, Manu can go for 50 another night, and TP can gofor 40 as he did yesterday. There aren't many teams that match-up with them well. You'd think that the Suns did, but when they traded away Matrix, Ithink that went out the door. The Celtics may, but I think the Spurs would win there, but I don't want to boil anyone's blood so I won't go intodetail.

Also, you can't be a good contending team without a good PG. The last team that didn't have a real good "Top-tier" PG to win is theLakers, but they had Shaq in his prime, so they get a pass.
laugh.gif

Exactly, but according to some in this thread he's only a tier 2 player
roll.gif
roll.gif

he is a tier 2 player though... i still stand by that

take a great tier 2 PG like Andre Miller and put him on the friggin Spurs for his whole career.... you're most definitely gonna see the same resultswe're seeing from Tony Parker. he'd still be the same Andre Miller, but he'd be on a much better team and would have a lot more achievements to hisname.

now take Parker and put him on a 29-win Suns team. put him on an 18-win Hornets team. put him on a 26-win Jazz team. would he have those teams winning 50 gameswithin 3 years? would he be averaging 18 and 11? would he be an MVP candidate? no, sorry. he'd just look like Andre Miller. his teams would be mediocre,and nobody would talk about him.

see the separation between Nash/Paul/Williams and Parker?

Also, you can't be a good contending team without a good PG. The last team that didn't have a real good "Top-tier" PG to win is the Lakers, but they had Shaq in his prime, so they get a pass.

you consider a washed up Jason Williams a top-tier PG?

Back
Top Bottom