How Did you Decide Your Team "Loyalty"?

Became a Nuggets fan after they traded Melo.. Never really had a favorite NBA team until then

i support the local teams niners and giants i hate the warriors but ive been a big laker fan. i started following the patriots a couple years ago and thats my team which isnt a nice thing to say around people since i always get that look

So even if I grew up in a place I hate, with a team that I hate, I have to root for them because I live there? No sir, that is not fair. People are allowed a choice, and they should be able to exercise that choice without fear of criticism. I dont mind when people root outside of their region, its front running and bandwagoning that I dont like.  

You don't like front running or bandwagoning but you became a Spurs fan with no connection to the city of San Antonio or even Texas? Where you from anyway?

NFL - Local
NBA - Favorite Player

MLB - SuperFrontRunner local (World Series)... and even then I'd probably hope for them to win more than I'd actually watch games
NHL- Best color scheme/logo... j/k. Haven't watched hockey since the demise of the glowing puck.

So even if I grew up in a place I hate, with a team that I hate, I have to root for them because I live there? No sir, that is not fair. People are allowed a choice, and they should be able to exercise that choice without fear of criticism. I dont mind when people root outside of their region, its front running and bandwagoning that I dont like.  
You don't like front running or bandwagoning but you became a Spurs fan with no connection to the city of San Antonio or even Texas? Where you from anyway?
I'm from Jamaica but spent most of my life in New Jersey.

Root for whoever you want but there is nothing like when the local team is World Series/SB/NBA Finals. That feel of the city when Giants were in World Series :pimp:

good thread OP. 

football - bein from the bay it was easy for me to choose to be a niner fan because the Raiders had left to LA an everybody was pissed...by the time Raiders came back i was a full fledge 49er fan

baseball - kevin mitchell was one of my favorite players then the SF Giants got Barry Bonds and i pretty much just rocked with them from there on out. Only time i paid attention to the Oakland A's was during the bay bridge world series

I was born into it. I'm a 3rd generation die hard SF 49ers and SF Giants fans. My grandfather started it all when he came to america from nicaragua in the 70s and found home here in san francisco. bruh we bleed this s. :smokin

Last edited:
Born and raised in SF so im Giants and Niners all day. Basketball-wise i grew up a Bulls fan due to Jordan, didnt really like the warriors until after his second retirement but due to it just being a local team.

Dont mess with hockey tho.

Born and raised in NY so I go for the hometown local teams. Yankees, Knicks, Giants, Jets and Rangers.  There was a time I even supported the NJ Nets with JKidd, etc. They had a squad back then! 

Funny thing is I was born in The Bronx but didn't live there long at all. I've lived in Queens for the majority of my existence and I absolutely despise the Mets, if you want to be technical about "local teams." When people tell me I should be a Mets fan, I tell them the Yankees are called the NEW YORK Yankees and the Mets are called the NEW YORK Mets, so that means they represent all of NY not just a borough lol.

Besides the local teams I tend to root for teams with my favorite players on them (ex Jordan on the Bulls, Kobe and the Lakers, Lebron when he was on the Cavs.)

knicks is obvious

originally grew up liking the jets better than the giants, until i started lighting it up with the giants playbook in my fantasy draft in nil 2k2

Got into soccer playing fifa 06 and 07 online. Everyone was on the Ronaldinho/Barca bandwagon and I'm that guy that can never do what everyone else is doing. After playing with a bunch of different teams, I was absolutely destroying people with Real Madrid and Robinho became my favorite player. They were pretty low in the table at the time I started rooting for them, but ended the season in epic fashion, securing the title on the last day :pimp:

and Villarreal is my other club team I root for. their style of play and the all yellow jerseys were always too dope to me, and they're an awesome team to troll people with on fifa online.

i never realized how much video games impacts my decisions :lol:

i finally understand the kids who blamed gta

Last edited:
Root for whoever you want but there is nothing like when the local team is World Series/SB/NBA Finals. That feel of the city when Giants were in World Series :pimp:

Thats what I'm saying.

Of course, root for whoever. But when your local team wins a championship, there is nothing better. The amount of times the Yankees and Giants won, and having the parades and the amount of camaraderie within the city and the area, its great. You feel proud of your city, your region, and celebrating it with your neighbors is even better. Thats what Sports are all about, thats what community is all about.

I just feel like some of ya'll would be missing out.

Thru all the ups and downs of being a Knick fan (more downs than anything). If they ever win a championship, it'd just be surreal. And if they don't, they don't but it's my team, in my place.

Last edited:
Born in Anaheim so naturally I grew up with the Angels and Ducks. Lakers were close to home so I rolled with them too. I never really watched college football when I was little so I just chose UCLA but didn't really follow them at all and the more Pac10 football I watched the more I liked USC so I switched haha. Moved to Arkansas and all they have there are the Razorbacks so
I started following them as well.

I also root for Syracuse bc of Melo and the Cubs bc that's all that was on after school. Started rooting for Seattle when they hired my favorite coach Pete Carroll.

Last edited:
My family is originally from the Bay Area in Santa Clara. But they moved to Pasadena where I was ultimately born, grew up as a Lakers fan and a casual Dodgers fan. Then my family moved back to the Bay Area and that's when I started getting into football and the 49ers because of Steve Young. As far as baseball goes, it's a distant 3rd for me behind football and basketball but it's blasphemous for me to like the Giants. Growing up, I went to a lot of A's games so I've adopted and love the A's. I always feel I have to justify myself when I explain why I love my teams especially when my pops is a Warriors and Giants fan. :lol:

My family is originally from the Bay Area in Santa Clara. But they moved to Pasadena where I was ultimately born, grew up as a Lakers fan and a casual Dodgers fan. Then my family moved back to the Bay Area and that's when I started getting into football and the 49ers because of Steve Young. As far as baseball goes, it's a distant 3rd for me behind football and basketball but it's blasphemous for me to like the Giants. Growing up, I went to a lot of A's games so I've adopted and love the A's. I always feel I have to justify myself when I explain why I love my teams especially when my pops is a Warriors and Giants fan. :lol:

Man... I thought you were a Dodger or Giants fan. Never would have guessed A's.

Born and raised in LA...

Lakers fan naturally. (Everyone else in my immediate family is a Clippers fans :lol:)

Pops is an Angels fan so there's that.

Uncle is a huge Raiders fan so there's that.

Don't mind the Clippers. I root for them when they're not playing the Lakers. I make it to multiple games a year.

Don't care for the Dodgers or their fan base but I make it out to a few games a year.

Don't care about the Warriors, Kings, Niners, Padres, SF Giants, A's, Hockey or WNBA.

Born and raised in LA...

Lakers fan naturally. (Everyone else in my immediate family is a Clippers fans
laugh.gif
)

Pops is an Angels fan so there's that.

Uncle is a huge Raiders fan so there's that.

Don't mind the Clippers. I root for them when they're not playing the Lakers. I make it to multiple games a year.

Don't care for the Dodgers or their fan base but I make it out to a few games a year.

Don't care about the Warriors, Kings, Niners, Padres, SF Giants, A's, Hockey or WNBA.
yup. mostly that. cept for fam being Clippers fans.  Didn't actually grow up in LA county but close enough in the IE.  I swear unless growing up you had fam that were Clippers fans down here you were a Lakers fan

Kobe got me rockin with the lakers permanently around 05 or so

Born and raised in Miami, Hurricanes all day. Also a big dolphins fan

i like the Marlins, but I no longer support them because the owner is a complete d-bag

Last edited:

I'm from Jamaica but spent most of my life in New Jersey.

Yea I also would've went with the Spurs too over the Nets and Jets :lol:

Born and raised in Miami, also attend the University of Miami so that explains 3/4 of my sig.

I've boycotted the Marlins. Can't root for that joke of a franchise/ownership anymore, best bud is from St. Louis and got me into the Cardinals.

I'm a Lakers fan because I loved Eddie Jones as a kid, wasn't gonna jump ship after I committed to them.

That's the reason I became a Laker fan too, I'm born and raised in LA, those late 90's Lakers teams were some of my favorite squads. I can still probably name a bunch of players off those rosters. I'm a USC fan because my sister went there. I'll root for an NFL team when LA gets one and I'm not really a fan of baseball but I do root for the Dodgers

Born and Raised in LA, so it explains the first two teams mentioned.

-Lakers: Family are HUGE Lakers fan so it was naturally passed down to me.

-Dodgers: The only team in the area, and growing up a couple of my cousins were fans.

-Eagles: As for the Philly Eagles, I know a really random team for an LA Native to like but I have a story for it (sorry if the story is cheesy :lol: ) When I was really young my grandpa had on the TV and was watching some football. My mom told me I was watching the game, not understanding what was going on, so I was just looking at the helmets an uniforms. They had a break in the game and showed a replay of an Eagles player wearing the kelly green helmet with the silver wings. When I saw that I was :wow: . I've been a fan ever since. :lol:

Last edited:
Nets - Was a big basketball fan growing up, but never really had a team until I went to my first Nets game... From there I supported them ever since.

Cowboys - A lot of my family are Cowboys fans, so at a young age, that was the only team I saw every Sunday... Just picked up on it.

Mets - I got into baseball when I was a little older, but everyone liked the Yankees in my family, so I just wanted to rebel against them :lol:

UNC - My favorite player went there (VC)

From Philly so I'm naturally a Philly sports fan lol I root for...
The Sixers, Eagles, & Phillies

I do root for a non Philly team tho and thats the Atlanta Falcons
I used them alot in the OG NFL Blitz when I was younger cause I liked their logo lmao so I just stayed rooting for them
Random, yes lol
I still have nightmares about that Joey Harrington/Byron Leftwich season tho :x :smh: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom