How do my fellow baby-faced NTers deal with age discrimination at work?

22 and was told I look like I'm 16 :stoneface:

Still get love from the older women though.:smokin

Last edited:
Was told I look like a kid last week..and I've been growing my mustache for about 5 weeks now

@op your an accountant right? If so what do they say about your sleeve

Was told I look like a kid last week..and I've been growing my mustache for about 5 weeks now

@op your an accountant right? If so what do they say about your sleeve

No one at work knows about my sleeve. I have to wear dress shirts all the time so it's not like it'd be visible anyway. I look completely different at work than I do in real life. Nicely combed hair, clean shaven, glasses,no visible tats, no earrings,etc.

Last edited:
29 but look like I'm 23-25. It used to bother me but I'd rather look young than to look like some of these young old looking kids

29 but look like I'm 23-25. It used to bother me but I'd rather look young than to look like some of these young old looking kids
It's a gift and a curse.  Sucks at this age, but at the same time I see the rest of my graduating class on Facebook and they don't seem to be aging too gracefully 
laugh.gif

Same, I work with a lot of mechanics and dudes 20 yrs old look 40 with their stressed faces. I got guys 55+ working for me and I can understand them not wanting to listen to some "young punk". Comp Frod was semi-right above, I'm 31 looking like I'm mid 20's, so you just have to feel like your Ric Flair with your attitude. I watched a lot of Life Hack videos on confidence and can hold my own with exec's in meetings as it's really all about knowing what you're doing and exercising it in front of the right people.

Bottom line is, from what I've learned, is that you get treated how you allow yourself to be treated. After being with this company for a few months now, I even have the confidence to show off my tats/sleeves and it's no big deal.

No one at work knows about my sleeve. I have to wear dress shirts all the time so it's not like it'd be visible anyway. I look completely different at work than I do in real life. Nicely combed hair, clean shaven, glasses,no visible tats, no earrings,etc.
damn forreal...I wanna get tatted up so bad at the same time I dont want that to hold me back                   

Mann this **** kills me I'm 21 and look like a high school kid easy

I'm also a freshly graduated phys ed teacher looking for his first job so I know principles see me and think

lack of experience + students look older than him = pass

embrace that **** bra...I was told I look like a baby tonite at the bar and I have facial hair smh...but **** I would rather look young than old any day...I look forward to being 40's and lookin like im 20 somethin

29 looking 16 and LOVING it. I've been told I need to do something to look older but damn that.

29 looking 16 and LOVING it. I've been told I need to do something to look older but damn that.

Nah that's OD.....I'm same age but ppl always think I'm on avg 24

16??

Last edited:
I'm 24 and get mistaken for 18-19 all the time :smh:

It's a gift and a curse like someone said earlier.

I can grow a full grown man beard as is posted in The Beard thread. But when I shave I look a bit younger. I look between 21-25. You can't really tell the difference. I age very well. Can't wait to be smashing 23-25 yo's when I'm near 40 and my son is in the league...

Even though I've always had a manly look and if you look at pics from when I was 16-24 you'd think I took them all in the same day.lol

Last edited:

16??

16??

Lol Yup. The oldest i've heard is 21 and that may be due to my facial hair (which isn't a whole lot anyway). When I cut my facial hair... 16-18 easily. My father is in his 60's but looks half his age so I have no choice lol.

Age discrimination is illegal buddy, use that card if you have to. And you'll want that youthful look, serves you well into the 40s.

27 and constantly get looked at as if I'm < 21 .....**** is pretty wack now but I'll appreciate it when I get older 

Same, I work with a lot of mechanics and dudes 20 yrs old look 40 with their stressed faces. I got guys 55+ working for me and I can understand them not wanting to listen to some "young punk". Comp Frod was semi-right above, I'm 31 looking like I'm mid 20's, so you just have to feel like your Ric Flair with your attitude. I watched a lot of Life Hack videos on confidence and can hold my own with exec's in meetings as it's really all about knowing what you're doing and exercising it in front of the right people.

Bottom line is, from what I've learned, is that you get treated how you allow yourself to be treated. After being with this company for a few months now, I even have the confidence to show off my tats/sleeves and it's no big deal.
Well said regarding having that confidence on not covering up body ink.  I've been in the behavioral health field for nearly ten yrs coaching at risk teens and deal with squares at the top of the totem pole. The reaction during first meet ups are funny when they spot your tats
laugh.gif
....And the reaction when they understand that you know what the **** you are doing after
smokin.gif

If you can manage to grow a beard it adds a few years.

This one girl told me to write my congressmen to pass some laws (i.e. the old ppl law) ******* *****. :smh:

Age discrimination is illegal buddy, use that card if you have to. And you'll want that youthful look, serves you well into the 40s.
This is why I grew my beard out. I felt discriminated against. Despite working my tail off, I wasn't getting taken seriously when I would address concerns in the workplace. Age discrimination laws protect people over 40. They don't protect young people.. When those laws were made we didn't have so many old people trying to cling to their job for 35 years, so young people had more opportunity to advance and do a better job.

I'm over 30 and get told that I look 21.

I don't worry about it as I don't have any problems in my career.

damn forreal...I wanna get tatted up so bad at the same time I dont want that to hold me back                   

Depends what profession you want to get into. If it's corporate america or health care is stay away from getting visible tats. I have a friend who got tatted up in college full sleeves and life & death tatted on his knuckles. He got a degree in nursing but can't even get a job because of his "look". He asked one my friend that's an accountant if that profession is good money because he planned on switching careers. My accountant friend straight up said you'll be dealing with people's money they might not feel comfortable with all those visible tats of yours.

OP are you sure it's your baby face that makes them think you're inexperienced? You said something near that end about doing it for the past 3-4 months. Does that mean you been doing that job only for past 3-4 months?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom