How do you feel about Jackie Robinson Day?

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

I was thoroughly ridiculed at Dodger Stadium one year during Jackie Robinson Day. They paraded out that $@$ clown Bud Selig to introduce Jackie's wife, so I got up to boo the hell outta that bum. Mentally challenged Dodger fans thought I was booing Jackie's wife and let me have it.

im all for booing Selig but you didnt see that coming?
laugh.gif

and on topic, i think Jackie Robinson day should be a bigger deal than it is.

agree on both sentiments

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I was thoroughly ridiculed at Dodger Stadium one year during Jackie Robinson Day. They paraded out that $@$ clown Bud Selig to introduce Jackie's wife, so I got up to boo the hell outta that bum. Mentally challenged Dodger fans thought I was booing Jackie's wife and let me have it.

laugh.gif

agree on both sentiments

i was a bit drunk and was sitting in the reserved section.  im convinced the average IQ decreases, the higher up you sit at dodger stadium.

i guess you guys are right, i deserved it.  the window of booing opportunity was very tight and i may have exceeded it.

i also agree that Jackie Robinson day should be a bigger deal.  They should take an entire week out to honor this man.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif

agree on both sentiments

i was a bit drunk and was sitting in the reserved section.  im convinced the average IQ decreases, the higher up you sit at dodger stadium.

i guess you guys are right, i deserved it.  the window of booing opportunity was very tight and i may have exceeded it.

i also agree that Jackie Robinson day should be a bigger deal.  They should take an entire week out to honor this man.

My favorite Dodger ever (fernando a close 2nd)
but yea he not only opened it up for just black players but for latin american & asian players as well
Appreciated
pimp.gif

My favorite Dodger ever (fernando a close 2nd)
but yea he not only opened it up for just black players but for latin american & asian players as well
Appreciated
pimp.gif

if he wasn't the first black player to play in the majors, and it was someone else who wasn't as good do you think we would make a day for that player as well?  just curious.
it took a lot of guts and bravery to be the first and to help start change, but if it wasn't him then someone else would've stepped up.

if he wasn't the first black player to play in the majors, and it was someone else who wasn't as good do you think we would make a day for that player as well?  just curious.
it took a lot of guts and bravery to be the first and to help start change, but if it wasn't him then someone else would've stepped up.

U may have to watch a documentary on Jackie. theres a reason Branch rickey chose him. He was humble to a fault imo.

someone else of lesser character wouldnt have handled things as well as he.

there were far better players in the Negro Leagues than him, Jackie wasnt just in the right place in the right time.

U may have to watch a documentary on Jackie. theres a reason Branch rickey chose him. He was humble to a fault imo.

someone else of lesser character wouldnt have handled things as well as he.

there were far better players in the Negro Leagues than him, Jackie wasnt just in the right place in the right time.

C'mon bro, you question the intelligence of a fan base when you made the drunken/bonehead move. 
laugh.gif

Not a fan of Bud myself, but that was terrible timing on your part.

You can't hang your hat on "if's".

He was the first black player, a pioneer.  Was he the best black player of his era? No.  However, with the hostility around him not only on the field but off it, he was the best person for the opportunity.  It's the reason he was chosen, someone with character that can perform at an elite level.  In order to make an impact, he had to win over his own team, and it was his demeanor that won his own clubhouse over.  He won the backing of HOF legends Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider.  He also had the skills to succeed, making an impact immediately despite the adversity.

He won the inaugural ROY award in 1947 and came in 5th in MVP voting.  (ROY was named after him in '87).

So yeah, it is a well deserved honor, IMO.

C'mon bro, you question the intelligence of a fan base when you made the drunken/bonehead move. 
laugh.gif

Not a fan of Bud myself, but that was terrible timing on your part.

You can't hang your hat on "if's".

He was the first black player, a pioneer.  Was he the best black player of his era? No.  However, with the hostility around him not only on the field but off it, he was the best person for the opportunity.  It's the reason he was chosen, someone with character that can perform at an elite level.  In order to make an impact, he had to win over his own team, and it was his demeanor that won his own clubhouse over.  He won the backing of HOF legends Pee Wee Reese and Duke Snider.  He also had the skills to succeed, making an impact immediately despite the adversity.

He won the inaugural ROY award in 1947 and came in 5th in MVP voting.  (ROY was named after him in '87).

So yeah, it is a well deserved honor, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom