How do you prefer to be identified vol. Lets keep the LOCKS off this one

I think people are free to go by their "race", ethnicity, or nationality, but you can't dismiss the fact that there are those who choose to not be attributed to one group due to perceived negative connotations of another group.

Not seeing why this would be locked.

cusppl get carried away in race n religion threads.
This is true but what you ask is a simple question. PPL can only get carried away if somebody says something out of line and someone else replies the same and then it snowballs from there. The question alone wouldn't entice much imo.
why dont you care for the term African American ?
I feel it perpetuates the idea that white ppl are the normal ones and everyone that's not isn't. I don't care for the term because I am American. I just happen to be black. White ppl don't need to look back in their heritage to be identified by a country, for some reason they're the ones that are just Americans. Most importantly when they do they know the actual country they can hyphenate in to their id because their history hasn't been erased while black ppl are given the all encompassing continent to fit under that umbrella. Most times with white ppl specifying that they're French American or Russian American it's cuz they're only one generation removed from that country or they're actually from that country and have (dual) citizenship or spent enough time there to identify with the place and culture. That's not really the case for black Americans. Nigerians and South Africans that come to America and become citizens are actual African Americans but even they would most likely call themselves Nigerian Americans or specifically name the country. You see the difference? You got millions of black Americans never been to Africa or even close to it. You got more identifying with countries in the Caribbean than they do any African country. Overall I find the whole process of trying to find a way to least insult us with an identifying term insulting especially with the one everyone's decided upon and actually think is politically correct. Even worse that black Americans just accepted it like this is what the rest of society has decided upon so we might as well take it. On some at least they aint calling us ******/negro/colored/**** anymore.

So yeah I prefer black or black Americans. That shouldn't be confused when ppl refer to all black ppl as "blacks" that aint never sounded right to me. You want to address all of us just say black people.

Although, technically speaking most of us are brown skinned or hover in that spectrum, not actually black (some of us are).

Last edited:
I feel it perpetuates the idea that white ppl are the normal ones and everyone that's not isn't. I don't care for the term because I am American. I just happen to be black. White ppl don't need to look back in their heritage to be identified by. Most importantly when they do they know the actual country they can hyphenate in to their id because their history hasn't been erased while black ppl are given the all encompassing continent to fit under that umbrella. Most times with white ppl specifying that they're French American or Russian American it's cuz they're only one generation removed from that country or they're actually from that country and have (dual) citizenship or spent enough time there to identify with the place and culture. That's not really the case for black Americans. Nigerians and South Africans that come to America and become citizens are actual African Americans but even they would most likely call themselves Nigerian Americans or specifically name the country. You see the difference? You got millions of black Americans never been to Africa or even close to it. You got more identifying with countries in the Caribbean than they do any African country. Overall I find the whole process of trying to find a way to least insult us with with an identifying term insulting especially with the one everyone's decided upon and actually think is politically correct. Even worse that black Americans just accepted it like this is what the rest of society has decided upon so we might as well take it. On some at least they aint calling us ******/negro/colored/**** anymore.

So yeah I prefer black or black Americans. That shouldn't be confused when ppl refer to all black ppl as "blacks" that aint never sounded right to me. You want to address all of us just say black people.

Although, technically speaking most of us are brown skinned or hover in that spectrum, not actually black (some of us are).

This is pretty much how I feel.

Last edited:
People call me the White or Asian guy. Never bothered me.

Would rather be called Latino or Mexican. Doesn't really matter.

Im light skinned Mexican from Guadalajara, Jalisco
I like it to be known what part of Mexico i am from lol 

I'm mixed as well. I prefer African American or black seeing that you can't really call me white...since I'm not white. :lol:

I hate when people call me Mexican though. They don't even say Hispanic they go straight to Mexican. Even though I don't have a drop of Hispanic blood in me :smh:

Either way, I'm human and race shouldn't really matter as much as it does in today's society :smh:

A black dominican dominican black
fixed.
Wrong Ricky.  He identifies as dominican no matter his skin color. we are not all the same because we may have similar features.

i am a black jamaican.  regardless if i was mulatto, chinese, indian, white, or native jamaican the fact stands that I am a proud jamaican.  my race matters less to me than my ethnicity and i think that's the point of saying black dominican or black puerto rican.

I feel it perpetuates the idea that white ppl are the normal ones and everyone that's not isn't. I don't care for the term because I am American. I just happen to be black. White ppl don't need to look back in their heritage to be identified by. Most importantly when they do they know the actual country they can hyphenate in to their id because their history hasn't been erased while black ppl are given the all encompassing continent to fit under that umbrella. Most times with white ppl specifying that they're French American or Russian American it's cuz they're only one generation removed from that country or they're actually from that country and have (dual) citizenship or spent enough time there to identify with the place and culture. That's not really the case for black Americans. Nigerians and South Africans that come to America and become citizens are actual African Americans but even they would most likely call themselves Nigerian Americans or specifically name the country. You see the difference? You got millions of black Americans never been to Africa or even close to it. You got more identifying with countries in the Caribbean than they do any African country. Overall I find the whole process of trying to find a way to least insult us with with an identifying term insulting especially with the one everyone's decided upon and actually think is politically correct. Even worse that black Americans just accepted it like this is what the rest of society has decided upon so we might as well take it. On some at least they aint calling us ******/negro/colored/**** anymore.

This is pretty much how I feel.

This is very well said. I remember when the guy from South Africa claimed to be an African American and everyone said he wasn't because he was white.

Wrong Ricky.  He identifies as dominican no matter his skin color. we are not all the same because we may have similar features.
i am a black jamaican.  regardless if i was mulatto, chinese, indian, white, or native jamaican the fact stands that I am a proud jamaican.  my race matters less to me than my ethnicity and i think that's the point of saying black dominican or black puerto rican.
i was just joshin' famb...

:lol:...

i dont eem get into that whole black domincan thing... you are what you say you are.. i'll call the next man whatever he wants to call himself... :pimp:

except papi...

This is very well said. I remember when the guy from South Africa claimed to be an African American and everyone said he wasn't because he was white.

And he's more "African American" than most of Black people :lol:

White folk wanna say "we're American!" well then dammit, I'm American too. My ancestors built this country just like them white folks (hell, even more so). I dare a racist white person to tell me "Go back to Africa" I think I might snap.

im chinese, it irks me when people say asian kid or w.e. I want to be recognized as chinese. Asian has so many different cultures, I do not feel similar to them at all therefore dont use a term that seemingly associates me with them

Back
Top Bottom