How much do you tip if you weren't happy with the service?

I've left a few bucks before for a $50 tab because the service was that bad. I remember back in HS a bunch of friends and I went to the local applebees andit was god AWFUL. We left her a $1 tip for a $100+ bill and one of my guys stuck around to chat with some people he saw after we finished eating. The waitressripped him and tried to make him pay saying that she has to cover for tip she didn't get..
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

i understand not tipping at all, but you should follow these
A) don't go back to eat again
B) Try no to be remembered if you want to go back
C) do in all you power if you go back to not get that waiter/waitress

if you end up getting the guy/girl again then good luck not getting out of some even worse service.

this has happened to me just like in the movie Waiting

In some bigger and chain restaurants, they even put gratuity FOR YOU. Not only that, they don't tell you and you mistakenly tip once more.

15%- You didnt piss me off and brought water and I didnt wait
15% + a lil extra- Cool %## hell
0% if it was a horrible eating experience.

But honestly added gratuity to the receipt is the most %## backwards thing ever

Sometimes waitstaff gets really tied up and overwhelmed on a busy night so that can be forgiven... they wont get my full 20-25% but they'll getsomething...

If they are just doing a ##@#+$ job like they dont care at all they wont see more than 10%

I can see some of the NT cheapskates have already come in this thread though... so i know where this thread is no doubt heading... and i want no part of it.

on a completely unrelated note..where did you go to eat? i live i nboston too so im jw

If the server was just overwhelmed but trying, I'd tip a little lower but not appreciably so.

Out and out bad however I'd pay in Disney dollars.

i went out to eat with wifey and service was so bad i saw the bill and felt the waitress owed me money... she was taking shots at another table and came to ourtable 3 times; once to bring out water, second was bringing the food and third for the bill... worst part is i had to grab another waitress to bring usutensils because she never brought them out...

bills was $37.59

i left a $20.00 and called it a night

Originally Posted by JAYS IN PHILLY

i went out to eat with wifey and service was so bad i saw the bill and felt the waitress owed me money... she was taking shots at another table and came to our table 3 times; once to bring out water, second was bringing the food and third for the bill... worst part is i had to grab another waitress to bring us utensils because she never brought them out...

bills was $37.59

i left a $20.00 and called it a night
alien.gif
So you stole from the restaurant?

Dont be a child and speak to the manager... you will most likely not have to pay full price if that was really the situation.

Absolute scumbag move by you. I dont care if you didnt give the waitress anything... But you cant leave an establishment without paying what you legally owe.

im a server in a restaurant...i don't expect a big tip...but what i do expect from the customer is when im busy be patient i will get to your table

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

To Insure Prompt Service
indifferent.gif

tips arent a form of insurance, but rather a form of reward. how are the waiters/waitresses supposed to know we're going to leave them a nice tip "toinsure prompt service?" we supposed slip them a 20 before we get the bill?

a sad thing about tips is that a lot of service people working for a less fancy restaurant are tipped much less even though they work just as hard or harderthan one who works at a 5-star restaurant.

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

a sad thing about tips is that a lot of service people working for a less fancy restaurant are tipped much less even though they work just as hard or harder than one who works at a 5-star restaurant.

How is that different than any other industry?

Bigger better company = bigger better paycheck.

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

tips arent a form of insurance, but rather a form of reward. how are the waiters/waitresses supposed to know we're going to leave them a nice tip "to insure prompt service?"
exactly, they don't know if you're going to leave a good tip... their tip is contingent upon your satisfaction.... and if they want thereward, they will act accordingly. if you slipped a 20 beforehand, that would make no sense, because they already got their share of the deal so theyaren't going to cater as closely to your needs.

& i was just saying "tips" is actually an acronym.

OP- Your server was horrible. If my table told me they wanted wheat bread, I don't care what the menu says it comes with. I would get them wheat bread. Andthe thing about the change, I woulda gave them what change I had in my pocket.

I'm a pretty generous tipper(20-35%) and I used to leave 10-15% even for bad service but I stopped doing it. Now I'll leave a 1-5% tip if the servicesucked.

Back
Top Bottom