How much has Obama's race and ethnicity played in his successes & failures as President?

As a president?  Um....not too sure.  But I know of some black folks that voted for him just because he's black, and I'm sure that holds true for a large % of the black community.  I don't really agree with a lot of his economic policies, but I don't hate the man.  I do believe he's trying to do what he thinks is best for the nation, if that means anything.

Funny side story, there's this old guy at my gym who ONLY wears Obama shirts while working out; he also rocks a 34-36 inch gold franco chain with a pendant of a gun.  Dude is at least 65.  I wonder if he voted for Obama on his issues or just because he's black?  Never talked to the man though; he's always mean mugging.  

Originally Posted by NooEra

George W. Bush was the dumbest POTUS ever.

Umm.. You do realize he has degrees from both Yale and Harvard, right?
eyes.gif
 He may not have always been the most well spoken person at times, but he is far from "dumb".

I don't think Obama's failures have very much to do with his race, but I do think quite a bit of his "success" (i.e. getting elected with almost no experience) can be attributed to him being black. I realize there are some other characteristics such as being well spoken and what not that people liked.. But you can't tell me all of those new voters would have supported Hillary with as much enthusiasm as they did Obama if she was the one on the ballot instead.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sdsolecollector23

Alot.....some of my black friends have pictures of Obama in there living room next to MLK pictures

This, I also see dudes wearing shirts with MLK and Obama on his side with all these words.
laugh.gif

I'm a library aide, Just a few days ago I saw a paper with a picture of Obama and MLK (that paper has been there for months), By MLK it said "Marthin Luther King, I have a Dream 1968" and by Obama said "Barack Obama, I am the Dream 2008". +@%! had me like
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by PrimeTime

eyes.gif
 He may not have always been the most well spoken person at times, but he is far from "dumb".

I don't think Obama's failures have very much to do with his race, but I do think quite a bit of his "success" (i.e. getting elected with almost no experience) can be attributed to him being black. I realize there are some other characteristics such as being well spoken and what not that people liked.. But you can't tell me all of those new voters would have supported Hillary with as much enthusiasm as they did Obama if she was the one on the ballot instead.
laugh.gif

not hard to get into yale nor harvard when your father is the vice president then the president of the united states at the time

also, he barely passed either school.....so...yeah

stop it 5.

Originally Posted by CDUNK

As a president?  Um....not too sure.  But I know of some black folks that voted for him just because he's black, and I'm sure that holds true for a large % of the black community.  I don't really agree with a lot of his economic policies, but I don't hate the man.  I do believe he's trying to do what he thinks is best for the nation, if that means anything.

Funny side story, there's this old guy at my gym who ONLY wears Obama shirts while working out; he also rocks a 34-36 inch gold franco chain with a pendant of a gun.  Dude is at least 65.  I wonder if he voted for Obama on his issues or just because he's black?  Never talked to the man though; he's always mean mugging.  

this gym i workout in, theres a white guy who ONLY wears nothing but confederate flag shirts, he has a big silver chain with an 88 on it....he has to be like 55.....i wonder if he voted for mccain on his issues of just because he's white? never talked to him tho, hes always mean mugging....

(whats your point, b?)

his race has hurt him more than benefited him

its completely ridiculous for anyone to say being black helped him break a tradtion since 1780 of electing white men to the office of the presidency.

you sound utterly ******ed.

12 percent of this country is black, of that 12 percent, 841,000 are in jail and cannot vote (as of 2009....3 years ago)

i really didnt think dudes would stay salty the entire 4 years

roll.gif

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

this gym i workout in, theres a white guy who ONLY wears nothing but confederate flag shirts, he has a big silver chain with an 88 on it....he has to be like 55.....i wonder if he voted for mccain on his issues of just because he's white? never talked to him tho, hes always mean mugging....

(whats your point, b?)   

So you think guys wearing only Obama shirts all the time and your hypothetical (I'm assuming) situation is completely normal?  I'd like to step into your world then.

his race has hurt him more than benefited him

its completely ridiculous for anyone to say being black helped him break a tradtion since 1780 of electing white men to the office of the presidency.

you sound utterly ******ed.

12 percent of this country is black, of that 12 percent, 841,000 are in jail and cannot vote (as of 2009....3 years ago)

i really didnt think dudes would stay salty the entire 4 years

roll.gif

I understand that there are white people didn't vote for him just because he's black as well, I don't think that's right either; you're assuming a bit too much here and missing the point.  All I've pointed out is just the fact that there definitely ARE black folks who voted for him just because he's black.  

Originally Posted by cap1229

He patronizes the black community? Really?

Dude can't catch a break, black people don't think he's doing enough, white republicans think he's doing too much for black people---I'm glad I'm not him

(whats your point, b?)   
So you think guys wearing only Obama shirts all the time and your hypothetical (I'm assuming) situation is completely normal?  I'd like to step into your world then.

why do you care if he wears obama shirts all the time?

do you wear nikes all the time?

why does that make you feel any way toward him or barack obama?

hes obviously stupid and uninformed and we know for certain that he even voted, period, let alone for barack,  because he wears obama shirts to work out in?

roll.gif

fyi, the confederate flag still flies in the south, b.......an obama shirt isnt offensive....a confederate flag is pretty offensive...at least to us northerners.

my "hypothetical" was an inverse of your comment, to highlight how stupid you sound.....

"this guy sucks he wears obama shirts, so hes uninformed and voted due to race....waaaah"

dude prolly doesnt even notice your existance

you know what kind of charm he has on his necklace

roll.gif

His race has only helped him...

At what other time in history has a man with absolutely zero public record and extremely minimal congressional service record *voting present the majority of the time* been able to be a candidate
for one of the most important positions of power in the world.

Whoever it was on an earlier post in this thread said it was just members of the black community that worshiped the man, lets not forget about those countless white dems suffering white guilt, (never understood that concept), who can now feel good about themselves because they voted for a black man.

Props to my man who said we are all Americans, we need to move on past this color thing because it is only holding us back...

Originally Posted by DougPe

It's all a scheme. Obama was put as president for minorities to gain back trust in "America." Success or failure doesn't matter when everything is planned out already.

Thats about the most ignorant thing I've heard today! Congratulations!

(whats your point, b?)   

why do you care if he wears obama shirts all the time?

do you wear nikes all the time?

why does that make you feel any way toward him or barack obama?

hes obviously stupid and uninformed and we know for certain that he even voted, period, let alone for barack,  because he wears obama shirts to work out in?

roll.gif

fyi, the confederate flag still flies in the south, b.......an obama shirt isnt offensive....a confederate flag is pretty offensive...at least to us northerners.

my "hypothetical" was an inverse of your comment, to highlight how stupid you sound.....

"this guy sucks he wears obama shirts, so hes uninformed and voted due to race....waaaah"

dude prolly doesnt even notice your existance

you know what kind of charm he has on his necklace

roll.gif

Just wow.  Stop with all the assumptions and putting words in my mouth man.  Like I said, I've never talked to the man before, I wasn't being facetious with my comment of " I wonder if he voted for Obama on his issues or just because he's black?".  I never said he sucked or said he was stupid.  So you don't find a person who wears different Obama shirts every single day at the gym (I go 5 times a week) a bit amusing?  I'd find a guy who only wore McCain shirts amusing in the same way.  And no, I don't care what he wears; I'm just the type of person who pays attention to details.

Originally Posted by jhobson5

Originally Posted by sdsolecollector23

Alot.....some of my black friends have pictures of Obama in there living room next to MLK pictures
This. And my friends on facebook post dumbest things about the president being black. This whole presidential race is bringing out the worst in people. I have found out some of my Caucasian friends are like junior Klan members, and my black friends dont know a thing about whats going on in our country. Bottom line Obama's race has hurt him more so than helped in my eyes.  

THIS.. 

As much as Obama being president has helped, I too have found out that people I know have said racist things about him... My boy wore an Obama mask for Halloween, and like 2 dudes I know from school made jokes about him eating fried chicken and watermelon and some +#!%. And then wen't on to say how he want's to get rid of white people
indifferent.gif

It's only gonna get worse in his second term so it's whatever.. Joe Madison said it best "some people refuse to believe a black man is the President", and it's frustrates them to the point that their just angry 
ohwell.gif

If Obama was white, A LOT more of his bills would have passed by now. No one in Congress is feeling a black President, you hear what they say about him....

A lot of white people are on edge with him as President, for whatever reason, which goes to show you that racism is still alive and strong in the most powerful country in the World

Originally Posted by illwill24

If Obama was white, A LOT more of his bills would have passed by now. No one in Congress is feeling a black President, you hear what they say about him....

A lot of white people are on edge with him as President, for whatever reason, which goes to show you that racism is still alive and strong in the most powerful country in the World
Good thing they have been able to block his bills, otherwise who knows how out of control govt size would have gotten.

We need less of that govt intervention, and I don't dont buy that people want to see him fail just because he's black.

Guarantee if Brotha Herman Cain was POTUS we'd be on such a quick road to recovery and prosperity its not funny....but those white dems took him out...so who to blame ??

you have a bias which is causing you to ignore logic.

I understand that there are white people didn't vote for him just because he's black as well, I don't think that's right either; you're assuming a bit too much here and missing the point.  All I've pointed out is just the fact that there definitely ARE black folks who voted for him just because he's black.  
and all ive pointed out is the fact that there ARE 5 times more white people who assumedly voted AGAINST barack cause he's black

so how is being black helping him?

for the sake of argument, lets say the black MINORITY voted for him 100% (which they didnt, many are in jail or didnt vote)

that's still 12 percent of a population.

whereas there is 88 percent of the population which is NOT black.

in regards to being elected to the presidency, how is being black beneficial as opposed to being not black?

since you can make the illogical assumption that all blacks only voted for barack because he was black

ill make the illogical assumption that all non-blacks voted against barack because he isn't a "non-black"

see how stupid you sound?

no?

yawn.

It's unrelated to the question at hand.
that MLK fought for civil rights which allowed barack the opportunity to even run for president and ultimately become the first black president of the united states?

roll.gif

stay in school, b.

Originally Posted by IronHorse

It's all a scheme. Obama was put as president for minorities to gain back trust in "America." Success or failure doesn't matter when everything is planned out already.

As if your opinion matters.  
laugh.gif
  I agree with DougPe.. Take a look at how everything is going downhill on his watch (or according to plan depending on who you ask), it's clear as day as to why they specifically chose him to be the "President" of this country. But of course, they'll never give a 100% black dude that position, we all know that would frighten white America to death (nice try Herman Cain
laugh.gif
).. so they give us Obama. The cool, swagged out President that everybody loves. Wouldn't be surprised if Michelle is actually one of his puppet masters. 
laugh.gif
.. This guy has re-election in a bag. Next four years are going to be the most interesting in our lives. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PrimeTime

eyes.gif

You have no idea what youre talking about fambs. George W. Bush is an idiot . Let me lift a few quotes from Nigel Hamilton's American Caesars

"W. was 'dumber than dumb.' one of his classmates recalled. 'so inarticulate it was frightening' In a class discussion of the Great Depresseion, George W. announced: 'People are poor because they are lazy.' -- words he would rue twenty-four years later, when Wall Street imploded. His macroeconomics professor was sickened by his arrogance and deliberately closed mind -- ' A young man totally lacking in compassion, with no sense of history, completely devoid of social responsibility, and unconcerned with the welfare of others...I gave him a low pass.' "

"He was turned down by the University of Texas Law School and seemed locked in a downward, binge-drinking spiral. However, his father's reputation as a loyal public servant and rising figure in the Republican Party once again came to his rescue, and to widepsread astonishment W. was accepted into Harvard University's MBA programme in the autumn of 1973 ('I got lots of help', as he put it.)"

"His father then bailed him out when he was arrested and charged for possession of cocaine in 1972."

"George W. Bush was arrested and charged with drunk-driving in Maine in September 1976."

" 'He doesnt know anything' commented Clinton in frustration, after meeting Bush during tghe transition and atttempting to warn him of the grave dangers posed by Islamic terrorism. 'He doesnt want to know anything"

Bush and his administration were warned of al-Qaeda from jump and they didn't take it seriously until the towers went down. They were concentrated on Sadaam.

Basically Bush had no business being POTUS. His blood-line and bank account got him there, sadly. He then proceeded to invade Iraq who had no WMD and nothing to do with 9/11. Bush and his administration didnt care. THey were hungry for war and W. Bush is directly responsible for the death of thousands of American soldiers and hundreds of thousands Iraqi soldiers and civilians. Women and children included.

I hate W. Bush with all my heart and Obama is GOD next to that fool.

you have a bias which is causing you to ignore logic.

and all ive pointed out is the fact that there ARE 5 times more white people who assumedly voted AGAINST barack cause he's black

so how is being black helping him?

for the sake of argument, lets say the black MINORITY voted for him 100% (which they didnt, many are in jail or didnt vote)

that's still 12 percent of a population.

whereas there is 88 percent of the population which is NOT black.

in regards to being elected to the presidency, how is being black beneficial as opposed to being not black?

since you can make the illogical assumption that all blacks only voted for barack because he was black

ill make the illogical assumption that all non-blacks voted against barack because he isn't a "non-black"

see how stupid you sound?

no?

yawn.

Reading comprehension would help you out a little bit.  I'm actually agreeing with you when I pointed out that there are white people who probably didn't vote for him just because he's black, thus most likely evening things out or maybe even hurting him because he's black.  What I've said is that I know of black people out there who voted for him just because he's black; that there is specific proof that being black HAS helped him, whether overall or not.  If you don't agree with that you are just lying to yourself.
CurbYourEnthusiasm wrote:

CDUNK wrote:

It's unrelated to the question at hand.

that MLK fought for civil rights which allowed barack the opportunity to even run for president and ultimately become the first black president of the united states?

roll.gif

stay in school, b. 

I thought you were talking about my guy at the gym; that was my reference to unrelated to the topic at hand.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by IronHorse

As if your opinion matters.  
laugh.gif
  I agree with DougPe.. Take a look at how everything is going downhill on his watch (or according to plan depending on who you ask), it's clear as day as to why they specifically chose him to be the "President" of this country. But of course, they'll never give a 100% black dude that position, we all know that would frighten white America to death (nice try Herman Cain
laugh.gif
).. so they give us Obama. The cool, swagged out President that everybody loves. Wouldn't be surprised if Michelle is actually one of his puppet masters. 
laugh.gif
.. This guy has re-election in a bag. Next four years are going to be the most interesting in our lives. 
pimp.gif

Whether true or not, I definitely don't think what DougPe said is really that far-fetched.  

Bush and his administration were warned of al-Qaeda from jump and they didn't take it seriously until the towers went down. They were concentrated on Sadaam.

Basically Bush had no business being POTUS. His blood-line and bank account got him there, sadly. He then proceeded to invade Iraq who had no WMD and nothing to do with 9/11. Bush and his administration didnt care. THey were hungry for war and W. Bush is directly responsible for the death of thousands of American soldiers and hundreds of thousands Iraqi soldiers and civilians. Women and children included.

A majority of the things you mention, I agree.  But looking back now, Bush was an excellent President when you think of what he was able to do in comparison to Obama.  
After 9/11, he had Congress by the balls and made them declare war with false information.  Bush even had Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and a majority of Democrats declare the Iraq war.  
laugh.gif
  That's not a G move?  

Bush made billions for his buddies at Haliburton.  Gangster.

Bush was able to cut taxes and saved billions for all his rich buddies.  Obama was elected 3 years ago and America is still under Bush's tax laws. Obama just last month extended them. 
laugh.gif
 I mean come on now... you have been POTUS for over 3 years stop talking about taxing the filthy rich and giving us middle class folks our tax breaks and actually do the damn thing.  The hell is taking so long? 

All in all, yeah Bush looked like a dumb buffoon on TV, but the power he wield and abused as POTUS was amazing.  When I see Obama now always kissing Republican's %++ crack and talking about working with them and all this Bi-Partisan bull crap, I am just
30t6p3b.gif
 at this fool.  For 3 years, the Republicans did what they could to go against Obama on every single issue besides the wars and the killing of terrorists. So IMO at this point it's really pointless to vote for Obama in 2012.  Dude really can't do much if anything for Americans when you have ZERO GOP support.  Obama is damn if he does, damn if he doesn't and these past 3 years is pretty evident of this. 

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

A majority of the things you mention, I agree.  But looking back now, Bush was an excellent President when you think of what he was able to do in comparison to Obama.  
After 9/11, he had Congress by the balls and made them declare war with false information.  Bush even had Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and a majority of Democrats declare the Iraq war.  
laugh.gif
  That's not a G move?  

Bush made billions for his buddies at Haliburton.  Gangster.

Bush was able to cut taxes and saved billions for all his rich buddies.  Obama was elected 3 years ago and America is still under Bush's tax laws. Obama just last month extended them. 
laugh.gif
 I mean come on now... you have been POTUS for over 3 years stop talking about taxing the filthy rich and giving us middle class folks our tax breaks and actually do the damn thing.  The hell is taking so long? 

All in all, yeah Bush looked like a dumb buffoon on TV, but the power he yielded and abused as POTUS was amazing.  When I see Obama now always kissing Republican's %++ crack and talking about working with them and all this Bi-Partisan bull crap, I am just
30t6p3b.gif
 at this fool.  For 3 years, the Republicans did what they could to go against Obama on every single issue besides the wars and the killing of terrorists. So IMO at this point it's really pointless to vote for Obama in 2012.  Dude really can't do much if anything for Americans when you have ZERO GOP support.  Obama is damn if he does, damn if he doesn't and these past 3 years is pretty evident of this. 

I'm not sure what type of line of work you are in, but imagine how professionals in Congress feel when they have to work with someone with ZERO experience in a leadership role... calling shots

It's not that they are going against him, but protecting us from whatever puppet master is behind obama

It'd be like someone fresh off the street replacing your boss and trying to tell you how things are going to go down at your work

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

A huge degree the black community worships this guy and beleives he does no wrong when he barely even addresses them and when he does it's usually in a patronizing manner

You can insert white community and almost any other president.
Presidents get elected on charisma and promises. Obama was no different. 

I dont understand the hate for dude. Of course the economy could be better but history will be kind to him since he hasnt really messed anything up in his first term

I think his 2nsd term he'l go YOLO
pimp.gif

All this right here.
But to answer your exact question sillyputty, his failures have been hugely magnified and his successes have been hugely minimized. I don't

think I have to elaborate anymore than that, cause anybody not wearing blinders or not having a huge bias knows exactly what i'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom