How much has your credit card(s) cost you? Was it worth it?

I got my first and only credit card in August 2006. My credit line was/is $1,000. Two Jordan purchases (candy, soda, & fast food while on breaks) and 26days later my card was maxed out. At one point I was $500+ over my credit limit. Up until last month the balance has not gone lower than $1,100.

The last purchase I made on the card was in Nov of 2007. I used $4.31 at Auntie AnnesPretzel shop in the mall. (I wonder how much that actually cost me?)

Between late fees, interest accrued, and over limit fees, on average I have given Citi Card $684.23 every year.

This is the same as burning $57 every month or flushing $26 of your paycheck down the toilet every two weeks.

Here's a breakdown year by year of what I paid in fees and interest per year.

1 - $540.34
2 - $904.47
3 - $581.88 + Avg of $26 interest from this months statement

Total - $2,052.69 down the drain.

Mainly I made this post as a way to show some of the younger guys what can happen when you get caught up in our twisted western civilizations way of life andby not making financially smart decisions. America teaches that we should live on credit. Yes credit is a good thing to a certain degree, but not to the extentthat it's run rampant in America. Be wise in your decision and don't get caught up trying to "stunt" on people.

If I would have known I'd pay roughly $2,000 for two pairs of shoes, grails or not, I would have NEVER got this card.

Basically live within your means. Sure things are nice but be careful how you view others. You have no idea what type of financial pit they're in just tohave something materialistic. It's always better to save or do without than to be hassled daily by credit card companies and carry the burden of your debtsdaily.

Through all of this it has taught me a valuable lesson. I'm reckless with a credit card. From this point I stillowe a little over $600 but am on the road to being credit card debt free. I will have it paid in full before the year is over. I'm willing to bet the cardcompany will offer me a substantial increase in my credit line which I'll have to decide if I want or not.

After my debt is paid I will begin to save for an emergency fund and only usethe card if the emergency fund is not enough to cover something that comes up unexpectedly. If you can't pay with cash then you don't need it. Onlything purchased on credit should be your house.

To borrow and add to an old saying.
"A penny saved is a penny earned, but a penny borrowed is multiple pennies burned."

I got many buyout notices from them for up to 70% off of what my balance was. I decided to take the hard way out and teach myself a lesson I'll neverforget. I got myself in this hole and I was going to dig my way out and repay every cent back. I've skipped out on things here and there and gone to theextent of only taking PB&J to work for lunch for weeks on end just to save. You look around at all the crap you've accrued over your life that youreally don't need and I sold off some of that stuff too. These are only small sacrifices that were made but the outcome was worth all of it. I'm proudof myself for taking this debt by the horn and muscling it into submission.

Anyone who is DEEPLY in debt please do yourself a favor. Go out and buy (with cash) Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Revisited book. This book teaches great ways toget out of debt and begin living financially secure again. You will need to be committed to being debt free though. Just buying his book won't solve yourproblems if you're not committed. Don't let money or debt rule your life.

All in all I thank God for just having a job in this economy and having the strength to get up for work everyday.

I saw this in someone's sig and really liked the quote.
Americanism: Using money you haven't earned to buy things you don't needto impress people you don't like.

That's really all I wanted to say. Questions, comments, and advice accepted from and for everyone.

Whoa.
eek.gif

They got you.

random- i had an economics class in high school and my teacher made us do an exercise where we feigned being responsible for a credit card... we would spend Xamount of dollars and then only pay the minimum due each month. after that we applied the interests rates that would incur... and dude! the amount owedincreased exponentially.. to a point where you could not keep up. or ever catch up. that scared the %+!! out of me so i pay in full every month no matter what.

Ok you got yourself into a ****** situation. Before you even look at credit cards you have to understand that its a 3 by 2 inch peice of plastic that can ruinyour credit and finiacial future is overused. You did exactly that

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Ok you got yourself into a ****** situation. Before you even look at credit cards you have to understand that its a 3 by 2 inch peice of plastic that can ruin your credit and finiacial future is overused. You did exactly that
My financial future is not based off one credit card.

I have other bills which I have consistently paid in full and on time for the last 3 years.

It definitely didn't help though.

random- i had an economics class in high school and my teacher made us do an exercise where we feigned being responsible for a credit card... we would spend X amount of dollars and then only pay the minimum due each month. after that we applied the interests rates that would incur... and dude! the amount owed increased exponentially.. to a point where you could not keep up. or ever catch up. that scared the %+!! out of me so i pay in full every month no matter what.
credit cards are no joke.

Great post

Damn man talk about Opportunity Costs I'm 16 and my mom trusts me with her credit card.

my 1st cc with no job/credit was a 4,000 limit. no wonder you got hit with a 1k limit

I have a whole lot of credit cards, but I use them sparingly (like gas and groceries).

It has gotten my credit scores pretty high and saved me money in the long run.

Mine costed me a pretty penny. I had 3 in my name. Used one when I didn't have a job to pay bills, paid half off then WAMU tried doublin what I owed in amonth (and now they're bankrupt, score one for me)

I owed $1400 on my Kays card but just settled that for $531 and some change.

Probably won't settle my WAMU, but as soon as Capital One throw me a nice offer, I'm on it. They been good sports about the whole situation.

I've never really understood how people can accumulate credit card debt if you're not buying essentials. It's not that hard, just don't buythings you can't afford...

Originally Posted by RED FLAG

my 1st cc with no job/credit was a 4,000 limit. no wonder you got hit with a 1k limit

When I applied I had two jobs. Limits are also based on what type of card you apply for. I'm sure I could have got more, but I didn't want more thanthat anyways.

I had my 1st CC when i was 18 and buying sneakers like it was fking candy. 4 years later i have cc debt up to the wazu. I CAN"T WAIT until i can get this@!%* off of me already and start fresh.

Credit Cards are serious business.

I'm stressed out as it is with my credit card being at @ $650...

but then I think about it, and two of my friends are $10,000+ in credit card debt...could be worse
smile.gif

I applied for a credit card in 05 to get a free� Dominos pizza
indifferent.gif
. Ithink it had an $800 dollar limit. The only thing I purchased was a i930(had just dropped) for like $460. I made the first couple minimum monthly payments ontime, then payed the rest of the $400+ balance in one payment. Capital One says they lost the payment, so i file a dispute and send them my bank records andeverything that shows the payment was sent. Long story short, I gave them $400 for nothing and now the balance on that card is above $1000 and none of mydisputes with the credit bureaus ever get me anywhere. $$$% CC companies. Ive got two more that are open and active but i dont use em. Straight cash.

You should watch this documentary, Maxed Out, if you ever get a chance.

Originally Posted by abernja

I got my first and only credit card in August 2006. My credit line was/is $1,000. Two Jordan purchases (candy, soda, & fast food while on breaks) and 26 days later my card was maxed out. At one point I was $500+ over my credit limit. Up until last month the balance has not gone lower than $1,100.

The last purchase I made on the card was in Nov of 2007. I used $4.31 at Auntie Annes Pretzel shop in the mall. (I wonder how much that actually cost me?)

Between late fees, interest accrued, and over limit fees, on average I have given Citi Card $684.23 every year.

This is the same as burning $57 every month or flushing $26 of your paycheck down the toilet every two weeks.

Here's a breakdown year by year of what I paid in fees and interest per year.

1 - $540.34
2 - $904.47
3 - $581.88 + Avg of $26 interest from this months statement

Total - $2,052.69 down the drain.

Mainly I made this post as a way to show some of the younger guys what can happen when you get caught up in our twisted western civilizations way of life and by not making financially smart decisions. America teaches that we should live on credit. Yes credit is a good thing to a certain degree, but not to the extent that it's run rampant in America. Be wise in your decision and don't get caught up trying to "stunt" on people.

If I would have known I'd pay roughly $2,000 for two pairs of shoes, grails or not, I would have NEVER got this card.

Basically live within your means. Sure things are nice but be careful how you view others. You have no idea what type of financial pit they're in just to have something materialistic. It's always better to save or do without than to be hassled daily by credit card companies and carry the burden of your debts daily.

Through all of this it has taught me a valuable lesson. I'm reckless with a credit card. From this point I still owe a little over $600 but am on the road to being credit card debt free. I will have it paid in full before the year is over. I'm willing to bet the card company will offer me a substantial increase in my credit line which I'll have to decide if I want or not.

After my debt is paid I will begin to save for an emergency fund and only use the card if the emergency fund is not enough to cover something that comes up unexpectedly. If you can't pay with cash then you don't need it. Only thing purchased on credit should be your house.

To borrow and add to an old saying.
"A penny saved is a penny earned, but a penny borrowed is multiple pennies burned."

I got many buyout notices from them for up to 70% off of what my balance was. I decided to take the hard way out and teach myself a lesson I'll never forget. I got myself in this hole and I was going to dig my way out and repay every cent back. I've skipped out on things here and there and gone to the extent of only taking PB&J to work for lunch for weeks on end just to save. You look around at all the crap you've accrued over your life that you really don't need and I sold off some of that stuff too. These are only small sacrifices that were made but the outcome was worth all of it. I'm proud of myself for taking this debt by the horn and muscling it into submission.

Anyone who is DEEPLY in debt please do yourself a favor. Go out and buy (with cash) Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Revisited book. This book teaches great ways to get out of debt and begin living financially secure again. You will need to be committed to being debt free though. Just buying his book won't solve your problems if you're not committed. Don't let money or debt rule your life.

All in all I thank God for just having a job in this economy and having the strength to get up for work everyday.

I saw this in someone's sig and really liked the quote.
Americanism: Using money you haven't earned to buy things you don't need to impress people you don't like.

That's really all I wanted to say. Questions, comments, and advice accepted from and for everyone.

Duh, at least your young but you messed up already. A credit card is a two headed monster man, you just got the wrong one. Pay that off asap, you shouldn'thave gone over 30 percent of your credit line in the first place and you maxed out the first month @+$!At least you learned your lesson and you're rightbout the American way of life.

It's all about self control... I'm 22 and have 2 CC....1 i signed up for to get PS3 like $150 off like 2 years ago
laugh.gif
never used that again.... My other one is a BP Visa card... I use it all thetime for gas and everything to build up the rebate rewards I get back.....EVERY month I pay off the full balance...never had a penny of interest so far....Ihad this for around 2 years too....I got back around $225 in rebate checks too for using it for gas an shopping.

my credit cards have GIVEN me money. reward points + keeping a close eye on my moneys + high credit limit ftw

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

my credit cards have GIVEN me money. reward points + keeping a close eye on my moneys + high credit limit ftw
smokin.gif
For real. I have 2 main cards, one gives me rewards,the other gives me cash back (albeit only 1% but I'll take what I can get). Never paid a cent of interest, pay in full every time the bill's due.

Fantastic post. I am a huge proponent of having great credit. I waited until the last possible moment to even get one and only did for the purpose of buildinga credit history in hopes of getting a home one day. I never had a late payment, never spent more than what I was 100% comfortable with, etc. Friends of minehave #%!# credit and are now about to get a divorce which will harm their credit as well. The wifey and I have a combined credit score of 760 which is great.IMO having great credit is better than having a good amount of cash.

I could never understand people having more than one credit/debit card on them.

1 is good enough for me.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom