How much has your credit card(s) cost you? Was it worth it?

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

^ or you could be smart and responsible and pay them off in full every month and have good credit facilitating things if say you want to buy a house/car
QFT

Although I have a couple, Apple Store (Juniper), Macy's, Amazon (to get $30 off my order
laugh.gif
), Best Buy. Everything is paid off except Best Buy andJuniper. I make a little over minimum to BB every month (I have no interest until May so as long as it's done by then I'm good) and Juniper is used foressentials when I don't have cash so I just pay that off every month.

Never been late on a payment and my credit has been building for years now
pimp.gif
22 WITH credit FTW

^ or you could be smart and responsible and pay them off in full every month and have good credit facilitating things if say you want to buy a house/car
I've never understood this "buying a car with credit" argument. Isn't the whole point of having good credit to get discounts onthings? By financing a car, you're just paying over and above face value for something that's going to be worth thousands less the moment you drive itoff the lot. Why not just save what you would use as a car payment every months and let the bank pay you the interest rather than paying it to the carcompany? Then, you'll get an ACTUAL discount.

good thread OP, but I never fell into the credit card hype, Im always up front cash, I almost feel guilty having something expensive in my possesion that I didnot earm

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I've never understood this "buying a car with credit" argument. Isn't the whole point of having good credit to get discounts on things? By financing a car, you're just paying over and above face value for something that's going to be worth thousands less the moment you drive it off the lot. Why not just save what you would use as a car payment every months and let the bank pay you the interest rather than paying it to the car company? Then, you'll get an ACTUAL discount.
agreed.
people don't think anymore.

What people don't realize is that you can do a balance transfer and get a much lower rate through a different bank. Why continue to pay 12-19% APR on yourcredit card when you can roll it into a new one and lock it in at 7.9% (or even lower now with how bad interest rates are).

I pay my American Express in full every month, and on the months where I make a late payment, I tell them I accidentally forgot to pay on time and they reversemy late fee all the time. The key is to get a company that has excellent customer service. American Express really caters to their card holders. Blue Cash iswhere it's at.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

I've never understood this "buying a car with credit" argument. Isn't the whole point of having good credit to get discounts on things? By financing a car, you're just paying over and above face value for something that's going to be worth thousands less the moment you drive it off the lot. Why not just save what you would use as a car payment every months and let the bank pay you the interest rather than paying it to the car company? Then, you'll get an ACTUAL discount.
agreed.
Being realistic, you aren't going to pay cash for a house.

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

i need a card to catch up on a few bills . I need a decent card tho , recomendations ?
American Express Blue Cash.

I got back $700 last year.

^^^Anybody else heard anything or used CapitalOne? This is in reference to my post and the response above...thanks guys.

Originally Posted by eLNiNo4530

agreed.
ok, but we're talking about the /car portion of that response.

also, eaalto, amex blue cash?
I have 25,000 pts... no cash back... how do I go about this?
nerd.gif

I got a Capital One card when I was 16. I only had a $1,000 limit, and I frequently went over the limit in payments and kept getting $29 overdraft fees. Really irritating. The customer service is average, American Express is really above and beyond better in that category. When I traveled to Barbados lastyear, I called AMEX and told them that I would be out of the country for X amount of days and to not put any holds on my account for international spending. When I called Capital One to do the same, they tried to offer me rewards programs and asked how they could improve my experience with Capital One to make it myprimary card. That's not the kind of bull you want to be dealing with when you're in between flights and just want to get the issue taken care of. Ishredded my Capital One card a long time ago.

Originally Posted by eaalto

I got a Capital One card when I was 16. I only had a $1,000 limit, and I frequently went over the limit in payments and kept getting $29 overdraft fees. Really irritating. The customer service is average, American Express is really above and beyond better in that category. When I traveled to Barbados last year, I called AMEX and told them that I would be out of the country for X amount of days and to not put any holds on my account for international spending. When I called Capital One to do the same, they tried to offer me rewards programs and asked how they could improve my experience with Capital One to make it my primary card. That's not the kind of bull you want to be dealing with when you're in between flights and just want to get the issue taken care of. I shredded my Capital One card a long time ago.
while this is true (i love amex)
on_line.gif
JDB1523 asked for a cc company that gives cards toANYONE because his credit score is fair as of late and another credit card company denied him. so i dont think getting an amex is very likely

sidenote- amex keeps sending me this thing where i get a "free companion ticket"

where if i buy one ticket i get a second one free (i'd split fares with friend of course) ... but im thinking, do you think i can buy that initial ticketwith my reward points? it'd be pretty bad @+@ to get a totally free vacation (well in terms of traveling)

thoughts?

I got a Capital One card when I was 16. I only had a $1,000 limit, and I frequently went over the limit in payments and kept getting $29 overdraft fees. Really irritating. The customer service is average, American Express is really above and beyond better in that category. When I traveled to Barbados last year, I called AMEX and told them that I would be out of the country for X amount of days and to not put any holds on my account for international spending. When I called Capital One to do the same, they tried to offer me rewards programs and asked how they could improve my experience with Capital One to make it my primary card. That's not the kind of bull you want to be dealing with when you're in between flights and just want to get the issue taken care of. I shredded my Capital One card a long time ago.
while this is true (i love amex)
on_line.gif
JDB1523 asked for a cc company that gives cards to ANYONE because his credit score is fair as of late and another credit card company denied him. so i dont think getting an amex is very likely

sidenote- amex keeps sending me this thing where i get a "free companion ticket"

where if i buy one ticket i get a second one free (i'd split fares with friend of course) ... but im thinking, do you think i can buy that initial ticket with my reward points? it'd be pretty bad @+@ to get a totally free vacation (well in terms of traveling)

thoughts?
Check the fine print, only suggestion I can make. I like the Blue Cash because I just get cash back into my account at the end of the year, whichfrees up that much money from going toward the bill. How many reward points do you get per dollar spent, and what card do you have?

My brother had a Gold Card for a while but realized it wasn't worth it because of the membership fee. With Blue Cash, once you hit $6,500/year inspending, you start earning 5% cash back on gas, groceries and drug store purchases, and 1.5% cash back on all other purchases. When we bought our Prius, wehad $5,000 cash for the down payment, but we decided to charge it on the AMEX and just pay it off like regular. That purchase alone got us $75 back.

I guess I kind of forgot that AMEX doesn't just hand cards out, I got mine so long ago and I started building my credit early so it wasn't an issue.

OP, just try building up a repoir with a bank and see if they try to offer you a card (Chase Sapphire for example). Go open an account with a bank and tryyour luck that way.

I have a Wells Fargo checking account and a Wells Fargo Platinum CC, but I only use it when I cannot use my AMEX. I also have Capital One but shredded it awhile back.

I only use my Chase checking account and they always offer me the CC but I never bother. I'm considering this new Sapphire card they have commercials forso I can get rid of Wells Fargo and Capital One for good.

^I think that's only if you pay full price for one ticket, so no I don't think rewards points are good there. How do I know this and am still askingabout a cc? I've already got a damn AmEx platinum card with my name on it...under my parents' account
laugh.gif
Being 23 and no credit F T L

yeah i have blue rewards.. i didnt really want to pay a membership fee either. blue cash though? hmm i may have to look into that, or blue sky. i thinkit's one point per dollar.

Check the fine print, only suggestion I can make. I like the Blue Cash because I just get cash back into my account at the end of the year, which frees up that much money from going toward the bill. How many reward points do you get per dollar spent, and what card do you have?

My brother had a Gold Card for a while but realized it wasn't worth it because of the membership fee. With Blue Cash, once you hit $6,500/year in spending, you start earning 5% cash back on gas, groceries and drug store purchases, and 1.5% cash back on all other purchases. When we bought our Prius, we had $5,000 cash for the down payment, but we decided to charge it on the AMEX and just pay it off like regular. That purchase alone got us $75 back.
I have amex blue, never wanted to sign up for gold.
how do I sign up for the cash back!!

agreed.

nerd.gif
touche
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JDB1523

^I think that's only if you pay full price for one ticket, so no I don't think rewards points are good there. How do I know this and am still asking about a cc? I've already got a damn AmEx platinum card with my name on it...under my parents' account
laugh.gif
Being 23 and no credit F T L
damn i was tryna cheat the system
roll.gif
well at least i can share the costs with my friend and save SOME money
laugh.gif

but yeah capitalone gives to everyone.. that was my first credit card and it helped build my credit... so if thats what you're aiming to do, apply and onlyuse 15% or less of your credit limit on that card and pay in full every month to build it faster. my credit score jumped 40 points this quarter simply byspending tiny amounts on all of my credit cards as opposed to the thousands i used to spend

Check the fine print, only suggestion I can make. I like the Blue Cash because I just get cash back into my account at the end of the year, which frees up that much money from going toward the bill. How many reward points do you get per dollar spent, and what card do you have?

My brother had a Gold Card for a while but realized it wasn't worth it because of the membership fee. With Blue Cash, once you hit $6,500/year in spending, you start earning 5% cash back on gas, groceries and drug store purchases, and 1.5% cash back on all other purchases. When we bought our Prius, we had $5,000 cash for the down payment, but we decided to charge it on the AMEX and just pay it off like regular. That purchase alone got us $75 back.
I have amex blue, never wanted to sign up for gold.
how do I sign up for the cash back!!
http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/BlueCash

I think it's an entirely different card. There's Blue, Blue Sky, Blue Cash, Clear, and the Costco Card. For cash back, Blue Cash is the way to go. I'm about to get my cash back for this past year and it's looking to be just about $500, always paid in full!

Try calling AMEX and see if you can upgrade to Blue Cash, that way you don't have two open lines of credit, and you only have one account with them.

agreed.

nerd.gif

Isn't there an option to redeem points for cash back? When I had Wells Fargo rewards, I was able to redeem 10,000 points for $100, 30,000 points for $375,etc. Try looking into that to get rid of your points, then try to switch to Blue Cash and stop using the Blue.

When you think about it though, one point for every dollar spent is like 1% back, and if you spend 6.5k + a year on Blue Cash, you get back 1.5% on everything,and then 5% back on gas/groceries/drug store. If I'm spending money, and I can spend with AMEX, I do it.

my score is at 730

whats the best card for me to apply for? i wont be making any big purchases...just gas and food to raise my credit...

i have 3 credit cards and always pay in full
pimp.gif
only problems i ever had was my identity got stolen somehow and citi gave me a ton of problems trying to fixeverything
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom