How old were you when you moved out of your parents house?

my mom passed when I was 17, and my pops left when I turned 18. Ive been there on my own ever since. turn 29 in august.

does anyone ever had their parents asking for rent or had to pay rent when they lived at home?
Mom's tried that when I was 18 and about to start school at a local college. I didn't mind I had a lil part time job but once she said, "you still can't have who you want over here". I thought that was messed up because if i'm paying half the rent then this technically my house too and I should be able to have whoever over. So I bounced with the quickness to move in with my pops.

Mom's tried that when I was 18 and about to start school at a local college. I didn't mind I had a lil part time job but once she said, "you still can't have who you want over here". I thought that was messed up because if i'm paying half the rent then this technically my house too and I should be able to have whoever over. So I bounced with the quickness to move in with my pops.

yea she was trying to play you

At 24 I left the house and moved to SF and was living w/ my now ex and her roommates. I'm 30 now and living with my fiancé.

OP- I lived alone from age 25 - 29 and it definitely had it's ups and downs. Make sure you keep your place clean. It's good to keep a tidy place so that you don't feel like a slob. Plus you never know when you run into someone that you'd want to bring over. A clean place will go along way if you're trying to impress or sleep with someone. Definitely try to find a hobby. I started doing going to the gym more often, rock climbing, and then jiu jitsu. Stay active.

One thing to consider: it'll get lonely at times. You're may not talk to anyone between the time you come home for the day and when you leave the house the next day. There'd be times that I wouldn't say a WORD from 7pm - whenever I step foot in the office. Try to get out of the house as much as you can, even if it's just to take a walk and grab coffee or a drink from a store.

Last edited:
25 and at home, cause my mom is disabled and dad is getting up there. Been looking for a way out but i think it will make my mom worse emotionally so i cant pull the trigger.

Hope to get a 2-fam house in the near future to put us all up but still be separate. (is that a horrible idea, though?

Have any of you guys moved out to a place where you know no one? Like a place where your family and friends are hundreds of miles away and you basically have to start over in life socially?

Pretty old in life.......27 years old. I did it when I didn't even have a solid job but it was the best thing ever for me.

Nothing wrong with parents charging rent especially if it would have a significant impact.

After all the support I've received my mom could garnish my check no problem.

Obviously this doesn't apply who people who aren't tight with their fam.

if you don't mind, can you elaborate?

I take it you are from SF or from the Bay. It's pretty damn hard to move out in this area and even more so now than when I did it back in 2007. People of my generation and to even be more specific, people form my generation from the East Bay would only move out if they owned their spot and never to rent. So because of that, a lot of my buddies and I were very comfortable just living at home and never really progressing in life. You learn to value money more when you have to decide on whether you want food or a beer at the bar. That was how I was on my first year when I moved out.

Anyways, I sort of forced myself to move out and only when I had a temp job. After I signed a year lease, I lost my temp job but found another temp job that paid even more which ultimately became my job today. It wasn't the career choice I wanted but I made it work and am getting money now. I moved to SF and it just has been the best experience ever just being out of my comfort zone and living the city life. A lot of friends to this day still live at home even at 33 years old and I can only thing I'd be doing the same if I didn't move out.

Last edited:
22, working full time.

I live at home with my mom, I chip in every month a few hundreds to help pay some bills.

i'm saving alot too to eventually have a good ammount to put down on a condo or something.

Live at home

Tryna stack so by the time I finish trade school I'll be out or on my way out

After high school I didn't live at home except for my first year after med school.

Got paid less than 40K, was pretty much always working and Moms lived relatively close to the hospital.

Saved a bunch of money but it still sucked :lol:

Have any of you guys moved out to a place where you know no one? Like a place where your family and friends are hundreds of miles away and you basically have to start over in life socially?

Yep. Three times in my life.

How is your parents asking for rent grimey? You're a grown *** man pay up

Nothing worse than a grown man letting Mom take care of him. My folks made me get a permit to start working at 13. Not gonna lie and say my folks never helped me out, but anytime I've ever asked for help past the age of 18, they were the very last people I would ask and if I did I felt like a bum.

Last edited:
I did it at 19. Things were cool on my end, but it is very difficult to get 3-4 dudes that all get along & are on time with paying bills to split a place. Did that for 6 months, then moved back in after getting tired of being the responsible one. Moms & I have a really good relationship so I pretty much do whatever it is I want and don't pay rent, spend that money on tuition instead.

if you don't mind, can you elaborate?

I take it you are from SF or from the Bay. It's pretty damn hard to move out in this area and even more so now than when I did it back in 2007. People of my generation and to even be more specific, people form my generation from the East Bay would only move out if they owned their spot and never to rent. So because of that, a lot of my buddies and I were very comfortable just living at home and never really progressing in life. You learn to value money more when you have to decide on whether you want food or a beer at the bar. That was how I was on my first year when I moved out.

Anyways, I sort of forced myself to move out and only when I had a temp job. After I signed a year lease, I lost my temp job but found another temp job that paid even more which ultimately became my job today. It wasn't the career choice I wanted but I made it work and am getting money now. I moved to SF and it just has been the best experience ever just being out of my comfort zone and living the city life. A lot of friends to this day still live at home even at 33 years old and I can only thing I'd be doing the same if I didn't move out.
Props for moving out to sf with only a temp job :lol: what do you do?

How was it being by yourself then meeting new people? Seriously thinking about moving away from everyone I know and establishing myself somewhere else. I'm legit not happy where I'm at right now.

It was an adjustment but you meet people through work or whatever social activities you do. I'm not saying you're gonna meet your new best friend, but you'll meet people by doing you. Just be social and all of that will happen. Don't be a hermit. Learn your new environment. Try new things.

In my 20's I was adventurous, so I enjoyed throwing myself into a new setting and figuring it out. You won't ever be the age that you are now, again. Make the most of it. When you're nearing 40 like me, you'll be happy you had the courage to try whether you win or lose.

Last edited:
It was an adjustment but you meet people through work or whatever social activities you do. I'm not saying you're gonna meet your new best friend, but you'll meet people by doing you. Just be social and all of that will happen. Don't be a hermit. Learn your new environment. Try new things.

In my 20's I was adventurous, so I enjoyed throwing myself into a new setting and figuring it out. You won't ever be the age that you are now, again. Make the most of it. When you're nearing 40 like me, you'll be happy you had the courage to try whether you win or lose.
Thanks man, needed that.

I don't really count college because I had to have somewhere to recalibrate myself when I came home on breaks and what not. I transferred schools from Alabama A&M to Southwest Texas State Univ. when I was about 20 to be closer to home for my girl(now wife) and my newborn daughter, and me and her fell out for a lil minute while I was closer, then I became a slight scumbag. So long story short, started getting in trouble with the local San Marcos authorities, the trees and other things became more important than school, grades dropped substantially, the school invited me to leave. Came back to the dorm one night after never really having crashed there, put my key in the door, walked in, and it was some new cat that moved into my room. I wasn't even shocked or upset, asked where all of my things were, to which he stated "the administration" put it in storage. So I asked him if I could retrieve my rainy day stash from my hiding spot, he obliged and off I went. Moved in with some knuckleheads that I hung out with as opposed to going back home and face the disappointment that my parents rightfully had in me. Did that for several months, about 7. One day my mom came down just to check on me, saw how savage me and the roomies were living and she was like, no, this is not the way. Before I knew it, by the end of the night my brother was down to help me move back home. Get home and as soon as she said "curfew" I was like "nahhh, I'm grown" so I started crashing with my brother. Turned out to be kind of worse for me than being at SouthWest, strippers, drugs, and booze in a large scale, I had no ambition, drive, motivation, focus, or prospects for life because I was loaded all of the time. So I patched things up with my ol'lady and become a better father, and crashed with her and her folks before I said "enough" I'm a man and should act accordingly. So I cleaned my act up, left all of the recreationals alone, got a steady job while crashing with her parents, her, and my kid. Had enough of that and went and joined the Navy. Told my girl once I got on my feet, I'm coming back for them. I was a man of my word. Got married, scooped the wife and kid, and moved into our very own spot at like 22-23. It was smack dab in the hood in Mayport ( Jacksonville, Florida) made a promise that once I got my scratch up we'd never be hood bound again. Promise upheld and we never ever looked back. This was a while ago. I'm still good with my brother for letting me crash, but at that time his fast paced lifestyle was too much for me. Was still good with my parents because they were proud of me for not staying a piece of crap. I just wish my mom could've come and visited me one more time before she passed but she at least came and saw how I was living in Jacksonville, Charleston, South Carolina, Jacksonville again, but that time in a way better neighborhood, and San Diego.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom