How safe do you feel?

I realize this may turn very quickly into a race conversation but it’s Friday night so let’s roll the dice. How safe do you feel in America?

I realized as a guy i never really felt or feel unsafe. I knew when situations were dicey but like I didn’t actually feel like real scared/fear. Today, it was about 9 pm and I was walking home with my gf. We just took a stroll around downtown and were walking home. Live in a very safe neighborhood and in general very safe area.

We were on the final stretch and it’s usually pretty empty and quiet/dark. And there were 8 teenagers on the other side of the street (somewhat big street). Signals happened to line up and they ended up walking same direction as us but on the other side of the street. After a little bit they all decided to run across the street and were right behind us (like 1-2 feet). There’s no one else around but us and them. Probably about 6 guys and 2 girls. Wearing hoodies, talking smack to each other just being normal kids etc. They didn’t say anything to us but definitely an aggressive move on a very empty street to run across and get right behind us.

If i was by myself honestly i wouldn’t of cared at all. At worst they want to steal a wallet or something and if it’s my time to go and they pull a gun or something it is what it is. But with my girl next to me I felt frozen. Like all you want to do is protect her.

Another part of me also didn’t t want to be a Nancy and react cuz at some level it feels racist / perception / preconceived based of course.

Of course nothing actually happened and a cross walk showed up a few feet after and we just crossed to the other side of the street. They stayed on the other side and went into the open gate at the high school.

Edit: Lol didn’t even realize that was a Fox news youtube. This gonna end poorly.

Generally I feel safe but I am always aware of my surroundings. Even when I get the mail. I know my next door neighbors but still.

If someone wants to rob me with their bare hands good luck with that. If they’re strap then the most they’re getting is a LV wallet since I don’t carry cash.

My area isn’t safe at all and it’s not because of the people who live here...it’s the homeless and the rival gangs that are out here at night. My bro has an app that shows all the crazy stuff that goes down nearby and I’ve missed being in/witnessing crazy **** by a few minutes. My street is safe but you never know who’s taking a shortcut and passing through.

Shorty got got. She'll live another day. Don't nothing move but the money. Can't say the same for racially motivated attacks white people and law enforcement commit. You can give up your wallet at gunpoint but you can't offer anything in return to someone who is set on committing a hate-motivated crime. That's the unsafest feeling in the world.

Robberies and things of that nature will definitely continue to rise due to the pandemic. It's survival mode for some people unfortunately. Not saying that's the case for dude in the video. He could just be an ***-hole who would rather rob people than work and make money. But nothing is more dangerous than a desperate man, and there's a lot of desperation across this country in 2020.

Yeah i think most of us at least can understand the desperate people side of it.

The high school age kids part is the tough one for me. Cuz a lot of time that’s peer pressure and them just doing violent things for fun in the moment. That groupthink mentality has an amplifying effect and often rationale thought goes out the window. Disturbs me when i see those videos of high schoolers that were playing that run up to some random person and knock them out game.

And yeah this is peanuts compared to the racially motivated stuff. That’s next level and premeditated levels.

Honestly - just makes me not want to live in the US. I’ve lived other places / countries and this you never know what can happen fear doesn’t really exist to this degree.

Safe, I’m out at night working in all areas. Worst that’s ever happened is someone threw a bottle at me but he was a ho and wouldn’t fight me after and ran inside. :lol:

idk I don’t feel like anyone is out to get me.

obviously I pay attention to everything around me but I’m more worried about getting hit by a car or something than someone getting violent with me.

I live in a safe neighborhood in a safe area. Im more worried about things going south when getting pulled over.

As is, not very.

and if ol boy doesnt get a second term, i fully expect “the silent majority” to ramp it up.

I don’t fear anyone out here. Get it in blood. I don’t even let people walk up on me or approach me.

This is what came to mind before entering this thread.

My area isn’t safe at all. Always something poppin off. But I’m not gonna let it deter me in doing what I have to do.

hell, a baby for maced because these two apropos were fighting. Wild out here.

I’m fine with myself. I’m more concerned about my family. I’m not an aggressive person but I’m extremely defensive. Got that pitbull locked in gaze when I’m out with my family. I tease my girl claiming that’s why I don’t want to go out at night with her but I’m halfway serious.

Shhhhhhhiiii......dudes here are soft, weak, down right pitiful about discussing race and sexism here on NikeTalk. Could you imagine them walking around what is supposedly an unsafe area anywhere here in america?!?!

Too negative!

I know there are a few here that can get downright gutter with it, but on the majority? These dudes want someone to blow sunshine up their butts.

Suburban bubble type of mentality would keep you safe.

The urban mentality is raw, more street.

So you find mixed types of people in both places.

You think you are safe, just hope and try to be it wherever you are. Easy to take it for granted. Pandemic got people about to go crazy over nothing. :smh:.

And its pathetic robbing women.

I’m more curious if this is just an American thing or this is how people in other countries feel?

I’ve lived and worked in South Korea, spent a lot of time in Japan and there’s not even a little bit of this feeling there. Maybe it’s the population density / lack of guns / lack of random violent crime / high school kids are just kids /low number of street muggings.

Anyone live anywhere else? I’d imagine it’s the same in countries like Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland etc. Have always wanted to move to the Mediterranean..no idea how countries there are.

Where ever white people have colonized, it is the same damned thing. They discover, colonize, then destroy the indigenous people's culture. They demonize their belief systems, then supplant it with the bible. What this leaves behind is a shattered culture that no longer venerates their own, leaving a previously untouched society in shambles, filled with crime and descent. Elders are no longer respected, and children no longer live with innocence.

What’s funny is whenever I’m in a “bad” neighborhood for work it’s all love.

it’s the white people in the suburbs throwing bottles at me and running off.

moderndarwin moderndarwin it’s completely different in japan. i feel pretty safe wherever i am here in hawaii - even in the bad spots. on the mainland though, i keep my radar up.

Glad to know many in here stand firm in these streets as I do :pimp: Don’t need to lift weights or take Tae Bo lessons to tell another man to step off. Just be aware of who’s around you and make smart decisions, real street smarts.

And its pathetic robbing women.
I agree. Saved a woman once from being attacked/followed by car late night. Dude was creeping on her the whole time so she walked fast it looked uncomfortable for her. I pulled up along side him in my car lowering my window to have a little back n’ forth and he decided to dip instead of squaring up. The lady took off and made it to the active cross street too. Bet she was happy to see the sunshine the next day.

Back
Top Bottom