How to Make it in America Episode 3 & 4

Originally Posted by jayhawk17

thing I don't get is howthe people that say they dislike it...WHY? give a reason.....
Pointless characters, pointless scenes, meandering story lines that don't make sense...I don't know, what else do you want me to say? A half hour show needs to be quick hitting, needs to have a little more going on each episode. I mean, what was the point of the 4th episode? They didn't address the denim line, they just focused on this dude's ex-girlfriend (who I still have no idea why she exits as a character) and her birthday, and getting their friend into some night club. That was it. Absolutely nothing happened plot-wise. You can't do that on a show in its infancy. Entourage fell back on meandering plots and meaningless episodes after a couple seasons of strong plots. As of now, all we know is these guys are trying to start a denim line, and they've spent about one episode on that. Nothing outside of that has captured me in the least bit. Nothing happens to make me want to come back and watch the next episode.

Originally Posted by MoNeyLiCiouS

was my dude rockin flip 3s when he hopped out the bentley?
nerd.gif

Saw that too. Show is good so far
pimp.gif

So I looked up, there are 12 episodes in this season. There should be plenty of development in the following 8 episodes is they continue with the formula of episodes 3 and 4.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

thing I don't get is howthe people that say they dislike it...WHY? give a reason.....
Pointless characters, pointless scenes, meandering story lines that don't make sense...I don't know, what else do you want me to say? A half hour show needs to be quick hitting, needs to have a little more going on each episode. I mean, what was the point of the 4th episode? They didn't address the denim line, they just focused on this dude's ex-girlfriend (who I still have no idea why she exits as a character) and her birthday, and getting their friend into some night club. That was it. Absolutely nothing happened plot-wise. You can't do that on a show in its infancy. Entourage fell back on meandering plots and meaningless episodes after a couple seasons of strong plots. As of now, all we know is these guys are trying to start a denim line, and they've spent about one episode on that. Nothing outside of that has captured me in the least bit. Nothing happens to make me want to come back and watch the next episode.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]So stop watching it. Plain and simple.[/color]

Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

man Im suprised so many of you are digging this show, maybe ya are out of towners because this show is the epitome of cornyness to me, they are trying way too ward to push that NYC train
expand on what the "epitome of cornyness" is, exactly.

The producer (Ian edelman), Victor Rasuk, Lake Bell, Bryan Greenberg, Luis Guzman and other characters were all either born/raised and/or lived in NYC and grew up on or around the culture they are portraying. The writer, Rob Weiss, is essentially who Bryan Greenberg's character (Ben Epstein) is based off of...which is also realistic. Ian Edelman also incorporated elements of his own grind in to the screenplay. They film on location in anywhere from local dive bars to hot spots (like Avenue in ep.4).

If you're gonna label it hypebeast, then yea - downtown culture is where the hypbeast-#!% culture thrives around soho, LES, the village, parts of BK, etc...where a good part of the show is supposed to be set...that's why youll see them on the arts scene, selling shoes at flight club and mentioning Supreme & Lafayette Street.
The image they portray just comes off as too forced, it def does not represent NYC AT ALL. Maybe for the fake posers out there yea.

The out of towners eat it up though.

After reading skimming through this thread, I've come to the conclusion that most NTers enjoy the filler episodes (Episode 4), rather than the episodes that move the story forward (Episode 2 and 3). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the fillers but eventually I want to know whether or not the series will be story driven and thus have more longevity.

Look at Entourage- season 3, 4, and 5 were mostly fillers but the show's plot quickly became redundant. Then along comes season 6 which was hated on by most, but to me that was the most refreshing season to watch (as it was less focused on Vince)

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

laugh.gif
Stop lying.  If this show didn't interest you, you wouldn't have watched the past FOUR episodes! 
eyes.gif

what i dont get is the people who are complaining is either A. posting multiple times in this thread or B. in the thread each week

theres been plenty of shows discussed on NT and if i didnt like them i posted it and kept it moving......some of yall are borderline trolls...just like the ones who were in the entourage thread

It's only been 4 episodes, a message board is for opinions.

What's worse are people bringing this up with Entourage.

true as far as comparing this w/ entourage.........i dont see why people are doing that but this show thread reminds me of entourage as far as the same people complaining week in and week out and that is trolling.......if you dont like it you dont like it....dont come in the thread each week stating it.......its annoying as hell

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

man Im suprised so many of you are digging this show, maybe ya are out of towners because this show is the epitome of cornyness to me, they are trying way too ward to push that NYC train

The producer (Ian edelman), Victor Rasuk, Lake Bell, Bryan Greenberg, Luis Guzman and other characters were all either born/raised and/or lived in NYC and grew up on or around the culture they are portraying. The writer, Rob Weiss, is essentially who Bryan Greenberg's character (Ben Epstein) is based off of...which is also realistic. Ian Edelman also incorporated elements of his own grind in to the screenplay. They film on location in anywhere from local dive bars to hot spots (like Avenue in ep.4).

If you're gonna label it hypebeast, then yea - downtown culture is where the hypbeast-#!% culture thrives around soho, LES, the village, parts of BK, etc...where a good part of the show is supposed to be set...that's why youll see them on the arts scene, selling shoes at flight club and mentioning Supreme & Lafayette Street.
The image they portray just comes off as too forced, it def does not represent NYC AT ALL. Maybe for the fake posers out there yea.

exactly, out of state heads are going to run with this show and believe nyc is filled with this type of buffoonery
laugh.gif

of course everybody in NY isnt trying to make a denim line
laugh.gif
......and if you are on that scene that they are portraying and you think its corny then thats probably how other folks are looking at you

Based on episode 4 I really doubt Cudi is going to have a thriving acting career. Anyone else notice how he said 90% of his lines in some quirky way.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by dunnyy

Based on episode 4 I really doubt Cudi is going to have a thriving acting career. Anyone else notice how he said 90% of his lines in some quirky way.
ohwell.gif

he mostly had "cool" ad libs and one liners...kinda like his music....not really mad at it...but its just the beginning...im from the south and i think this series is dope it feels authentic
roll.gif
(been to NY like 5-6 times
laugh.gif
)

I just started watching this crap and almost gave up after ep.3, but ep.4 was pretty fun. The i-banker saved it for me; I was getting tired of the 2 butt buddies conveniently running into each other all the time. Anyone else not care about character development, storylines, and sub-plots? It's a 27-minute show, I just wanna see them paint the town much like the Entourage fellas. And there can never be enough shows set in NYC especially depicting this kind of sub-culture. So, in sum, a crappy show can still be entertaining.

Why oh why couldn't Samaire Armstrong be casted for the ex-girlfriend role? Or Shannyn Sossamon? Then maybe I'd give a #### about that storyline.

episode 3 and 4 were pretty decent. cant hate on them too much. first 2 made me angry.

i'm giving this a season pass. if im not sold after the initial 8 episodes, i probably never will be.

ehhh... Mez it's defintiely forced and awkward/off-putting, which is my issue with it.  i actually recognized people in the opening montage/pilot-episode, but as forced and od-"look nyc is cool!" as it is, you can't say it isn't accurate...

exactly, out of state heads are going to run with this show and believe nyc is filled with this type of buffoonery
laugh.gif
It is really like NYC...No, but it's a TV show it is fantasy at the end of the day.  It is the most well-written realistic show? Once again, no, not at all.  But the guys clearly d o know the specifics of the downtown scene from boutiques to Wilhemina models
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dunnyy

ohwell.gif
To be honest, I think that quirky-ness is ALL Cudi and no 'acting.'

He's a pretty out-there, sorta comical dude when he's in his element.

Back
Top Bottom