Hypo: $1 Million cash or have Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos be your mentor

$1 Million cash or have Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos, Oprah be your mentor

• $1 million cash

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • Mentorship

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters
I think this shows that most people just want a happy, comfortable life instead of more money than Scrooge McDuck.

Easily the cash. The only difference between me and them is the amount of zeroes. Lets lessen the difference.

not that what you say isn't true, but it's still a BIG difference. a million seconds is short of two weeks, and even one billion seconds is over thirty years.

I'm of the opinion that no single human being needs that much money or the level of unchecked power it inherently affords, but that's another post.

with a millie cash you never have to work a 9-5 again

just saying

it's not a "never lift a finger again" type of sum, but you can definitely stop spending 40 hours a week in the service of anyone else. you basically have a one-man UBI.

if you have a hobby you can sell, you just might be set.

Last edited:
Gotta realize these people so rich they hate money. They be done tricked a broke person into philanthropy. You know how people like to show off how much they travel and do baller ish. Well to rich people they show off through philanthropy. I think people with this level of money could be very weird to be around.

You thinking bout fixing the hood and bill Gates blowing your plans out the water building a whole smart city from scratch in the desert.

They got money to have the most childish goals that anyone else would be called silly for having. Like single handedly attempting to eradicate diseases.

What would your people tell you if one day you said you wanted to get rid of polio?

Last edited:
Gotta realize these people so rich they hate money. They be done tricked a broke person into philanthropy. You know how people like to show off how much they travel and do baller ish. Well to rich people they show off through philanthropy. I think people with this level of money could be very weird to be around.

If you're Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates level, you've been so rich for so long that you forget how it was to poor. They'll be telling you to give your money to charity when you still have a car payment and a mortgage. You'll just be stuck looking at them crazy.

Seriously? With a million dollars you can purchase 3 decent properties in full. Live 1, rent the other 2. That's enough income to not have to work a 9-5.

You didn't include that at all in your initial post. I said not necessarily as it depends on a few factors..

Seriously? With a million dollars you can purchase 3 decent properties in full. Live 1, rent the other 2. That's enough income to not have to work a 9-5.
My man, there are pro athletes that ended up sleeping in the Verizon Center because they mismanaged their money.

1 million isn't safe enough for ALL of us to say, "never work again."

Bezos and Gates would be amazing mentors but I'd op for Buffet. If you threw Buffet's name into the hat I'd seriously take him as a mentor over $1M. You can make $1M through a decent salary and buying real estate at the right time/location. I wouldn't be able to give away $1M even after gaining it, but generational wealth knowledge from someone like Buffet is something I can past down.

If you’re in your early 20s, I dunno how long that million will last if you’re living into your 70s. Plus some people have college debt close to 6 figures. I live on long island, one of the most expensive areas in the country. I dunno what size house you can get with a million now. If you’re buying property in an inexpensive part of the country with intention to rent it out then that’s different. You’re investing that money and not just living off of it.

Your mentor will:
1. be available to answer any questions
2. networks on your behalf
3. offer advice and guidance, tell you how they got to that point, how to conduct yourself, etc.

Y'all talking against the mentor are forgetting these benefits to the mentorship, especially #2. That networking gon put you in contact with the top suppliers, distributors, etc. As well as canceling out that whole "They won't help the competition" claim.

Y'all taking a mill upfront and I'm bout to be put in contact with somebody who can put up their personal million to run my business at no cost to me but I still get my cut. And I can just rinse and repeat. Get new investor each idea and watch my accounts grow. Then as they growing can get advice on how to store my money. Best banks, appropriate amounts....

Y'all talking against the mentor are forgetting these benefits to the mentorship, especially #2. That networking gon put you in contact with the top suppliers, distributors, etc. As well as canceling out that whole "They won't help the competition" claim.

Y'all taking a mill upfront and I'm bout to be put in contact with somebody who can put up their personal million to run my business at no cost to me but I still get my cut. And I can just rinse and repeat. Get new investor each idea and watch my accounts grow. Then as they growing can get advice on how to store my money. Best banks, appropriate amounts....

Networking doesn't necesarily put you in any position. It gives you the OPPORTUNITY to be put in a better position. You can network all you want and get all that good advice and it can not pan out.

That’s assuming you want to start your own business or be the boss of a company. Those connections won’t mean much if you’re not interested in those mentors’ industries.

I am super cheap.

I don't think I COULD go through a million, unless I really forced myself to live a certain style.

I could live ff of a million for the next 40 years easily. So with a million, I would be completely fine and comfortable.

I personally wouldn't be in the need of a mentor (in THAT capacity), if I had the option of a million

My man, there are pro athletes that ended up sleeping in the Verizon Center because they mismanaged their money.

1 million isn't safe enough for ALL of us to say, "never work again."

I agree with you 100%. The percentage of people that can pull it off is slim, I will say that.

I agree with you 100%. The percentage of people that can pull it off is slim, I will say that.
I think most would end up blowing it.

Most of us aren't good with money.

Hell, l was on a Financial Group on FB and one girl was crying about living paycheck to paycheck while pulling in 8K a month.

So yea, most would blow the million.

the issue with relying on networking is that it requires that the people in Mentor's network like you as a person enough to actively help you succeed.

if they don't for whatever reason, they can do just as much to impede you. is Mentor willing to risk his profitable relationships in your defense?

that could change my answer, actually.

Networking doesn't necesarily put you in any position. It gives you the OPPORTUNITY to be put in a better position. You can network all you want and get all that good advice and it can not pan out.

Same can go with getting the million up front. Either way, each side of the hypo has it's ways of failing and it's ways of succeeding

Same can go with getting the million up front. Either way, each side of the hypo has it's ways of failing and it's ways of succeeding

I'd say the million offers more potential benefits than hoping networking will pan out.

This question is ridiculous.

Someone that has no debts, has a house paid off, has a good job, makes 100k a year and has tangible skills just may possibly benefit from having the mentorship if they want to be an entrepreneur or start a company. Similarly, a single guy with no debt and a business dream may possibly benefit.

Everyone else it’s an easy answer to the $1M.

Let me further edit: You can take the million pay off debts and have the necessary money to leverage (eg real estate) to get to $10M. You just shaved off 5-10 years of working to get to that point.

That’s assuming you want to start your own business or be the boss of a company. Those connections won’t mean much if you’re not interested in those mentors’ industries.

I used Bezos and Gates as examples but you could chose anyone. Assume your mentor is the industry leader of whatever field you're interested in.

Back
Top Bottom