Hypo: $1 Million cash or have Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos be your mentor

$1 Million cash or have Bill Gates/Jeff Bezos, Oprah be your mentor

• $1 million cash

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • Mentorship

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters
I do think there is this ASSUMPTION
the issue with relying on networking is that it requires that the people in Mentor's network like you as a person enough to actively help you succeed.

if they don't for whatever reason, they can do just as much to impede you. is Mentor willing to risk his profitable relationships in your defense?

that could change my answer, actually.
It also means you have to put in some work as well. Having a mentor doesn't mean you get to skate by in life doing the minimum.

When you get a new position, your mentor's reputation IS on the line. You mess that up, guess who won't be picking up the phone?

Most of us want to get as much as possible for the least amount of energies exerted.

So yea, take the million

Don't see why anyone wouldn't take the cash. You can have the greatest mentor but at the end of the day there's no guarantee you're cut out for that kind of branch and become very successful. Much less have a million bucks in cash. Get the $1m, educate yourself and invest wisely. There's a whole lot you can do with 1m in cash. Get into real estate, start a business, ...
Gives you more free reign, for all you know you might detest the kind of work you'd be doing under that kind of mentorship.

Alot of you guys are mentioning that the mentorship only makes sense if you want to hustle or have a big idea that needs maturation. The more I think about it, the mentorship would be good even if you don't have your own ideas. Imagine being with your mentor and he puts you on the next Facebook. Google or Bitcoin years before its blows up. You could just ride the wave even if you don't come up with the revolutionary idea yourself.

If you read up on start of alot of big tech companies, it starts with one dude having a great idea and others coming in later and working with them.

I'd say the million offers more potential benefits than hoping networking will pan out.

I'd say differently considering how much just knowing someone or someone mentioning your business can cause great success. But again, hypothetical

Alot of you guys are mentioning that the mentorship only makes sense if you want to hustle or have a big idea that needs maturation. The more I think about it, the mentorship would be good even if you don't have your own ideas. Imagine being with your mentor and he puts you on the next Facebook. Google or Bitcoin years before its blows up. You could just ride the wave even if you don't come up with the revolutionary idea yourself.

If you read up on start of alot of big tech companies, it starts with one dude having a great idea and others coming in later and working with them.

wouldn't that count as directly giving you money and/or a job, which is something you expressly disallowed in the OP?

wouldn't that count as directly giving you money and/or a job, which is something you expressly disallowed in the OP?

A mentor is not gonna hold your hand and baby you step by step to millions. They ideally want you to already have something going on and hope you're receptive when they speak. A lot of game could go over your head if you are admiring them for wealth instead of trying to learn and listen.

When I say "put you on" I don't mean he's handing literally giving you bitcoin or facebook shares. I mean he's give you'll be privy to vital information that can make you money years before most people know if.

They wouldn't give you any bitcoin but they'd tell you that its gonna be big in afew years so buy some up and they'd be able to tell you when to sell as well.

But if they could do that .. why ain’t they already doing so? Wouldn’t they already be even richer than they were

But if they could do that .. why ain’t they already doing so? Wouldn’t they already be even richer than they were

They totally could but Dudes like Bezos and Gates literally give away billions annually. They're not concerned with acquiring more wealth for themselves. What difference is bitcoin money gonna make to them? buy another house?

I picked the million as well but that's me thinking from the perspective of a married father of 3, that mentor if your a young dude w out kids should almost be a no brainer the way some of you cats are downplaying it is confusing.

My line of thinking is that too take advantage of the mentorship I would already have to be well off. This is advice coming from a billionaire that has million dollar investments. These billionaires also needed a large amount of capital to get their current/past business ventures off the ground. With no capital or access to it their mentorship would be wasted. Then when you look at the typical ROI that's in the green lies in the realm of 3-5%. 3-5% of a million dollar or 100k investment is vastly different than that of a 5-10K investment

Secondly unless I already have the education and skill to survive as a product-full employee of their respective company while all I need is an opportunity, chances are I'm getting let me in less than a year. That lay-off is of course depending on the learning curve.

While the cash immediately gives me the number one thing that I currently need, access to capital.

Back
Top Bottom